Very new to the game. Hoping for any help.

#1J_walker6Posted 2/6/2013 7:49:26 AM
Hey,

So... I picked this game up last weekend and have been playing pretty consistently. I just hit level 10. I've only been playing vs bots and learning different items and champions. I'm usually always more kills than deaths, but against bots I realize this probably doesn't matter.

I'm going to get the champions pack and digital CE soon. So far I've really liked xin zhao, Annie and Corki.

I'd honestly just appreciate ANY tips so that I don't screw over my team mates when I actually start playing against other people. I'm reading other posts on the board, but any helpful posts here are greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)
#2xDarknezzxPosted 2/6/2013 7:51:48 AM
lots of people will tell you that you made a mistake by playing against bots until level 10
those people are dumb

with that said, i recommend playing against real people as soon as possible
make sure you try every single free week champion at least once so you can learn about their abilities and what they can do
#3SmishhhPosted 2/6/2013 8:04:18 AM
Yep trying out as many different champs as you can is great. You'll find out who you like and who you don't, and facing against people will be so much less painful. When you have no clue what a champ is capable of facing them is a complete guessing game, knowledge is power.

You'll want to start seriously practicing last hitting soon unless you plan on mainly playing the role of support, and even then its better to have that skill at your disposal. Its tedious and boring, but in a real match constantly autoattacking and pushing lanes is going to lead to constant failure. Dance around, get just the last hit on a minion, rake in the gold.

You'll need to learn to use wards for when you are support or in a solo lane. During laning bots pretty much never get creative with where they walk so you don't need them, but against people you need that extra vision. When you start playing with junglers you want a ward covering the river area at the very least so you can see them coming.

That's probably the most key things, learn what abilities champs have at their disposal so you are never going "omg I didn't know he could even do that!". Ward so when someone comes to gank you, you can actually have time to react to the situation. And practice last hitting so you get gold quicker, get items quicker, and win your lane.
#4J_walker6(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 8:22:31 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I've already started practicing last hitting, but man it's tough to pull off at the beginning, I'm always just a second too late. By level 3, I can usually last hit 2-3 mobs in each pack.
#5ArkhanoidPosted 2/6/2013 8:31:29 AM
The most important thing I did when starting out was focus on not dying rather than killing an enemy. Even now I see so many people desperate for a kill that they'll run into a crowd of 3-4 people just to try get a kill.

The main thing that makes people rage is when someone on the team is going 0-9 after 15 minutes. Concentrate on poking and last hitting - the confidence on when to engage and when to not will just come with time.
#6NightRyderFirePosted 2/6/2013 8:32:14 AM
J_walker6 posted...
Thanks for all the advice! I've already started practicing last hitting, but man it's tough to pull off at the beginning, I'm always just a second too late. By level 3, I can usually last hit 2-3 mobs in each pack.

Champions with a slow attack speed can be a little difficult to pull of last hits. Just pay attention to when your minions hit and how much damage they do to enemy minions, so you can get a basic idea of when to strike. Like someone said earlier, play against human enemies as soon as you can. You'll learn new tactics from your own teammates as well as enemies, and you will slowly grasp the concept of the game. If you make a mistake and die, it's not a big deal. You're still learning. If your team starts raging, just ignore them because you will be getting a LOT of that in the future. The sooner you learn to ignore their quips and insults, the better off you'll be.

Note: Do make sure to see the difference between insults and advice though. Some people just want to help, but can be a little aggressive about it.
---
"It's only during the darkest nights that the stars shine brightest."
#7J_walker6(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 8:37:59 AM
NightRyderFire posted...
J_walker6 posted...

Champions with a slow attack speed can be a little difficult to pull of last hits. Just pay attention to when your minions hit and how much damage they do to enemy minions, so you can get a basic idea of when to strike. Like someone said earlier, play against human enemies as soon as you can. You'll learn new tactics from your own teammates as well as enemies, and you will slowly grasp the concept of the game. If you make a mistake and die, it's not a big deal. You're still learning. If your team starts raging, just ignore them because you will be getting a LOT of that in the future. The sooner you learn to ignore their quips and insults, the better off you'll be.

Note: Do make sure to see the difference between insults and advice though. Some people just want to help, but can be a little aggressive about it.

For sure, I've already had someone, in a coop vs ai game, tell me to jump off a bridge. I'm still not actually sure what I did wrong.

But when someone tells me where to stand, or helps me pick out items or when to push, I always figure I'd best try out their advice and see how It goes. It usually works really well!
#8jepaanPosted 2/6/2013 8:51:49 AM
xDarknezzx posted...
lots of people will tell you that you made a mistake by playing against bots until level 10
those people are dumb

with that said, i recommend playing against real people as soon as possible
make sure you try every single free week champion at least once so you can learn about their abilities and what they can do

If you are an experienced RTS player, it's a huge mistake. Doesn't sound like TC is though, so you're kinda right.

Careful playing with focus on last hitting is the right way to play for you right now. With a champion like Annie you should really get most of the last hits. Remember to use your Q.
---
-