Tips for a newbie?

#1AshAcrimoniousPosted 2/6/2013 9:57:03 AM
Hi all, I recently started playing LoL and so far all I've done is some bot games. I am trying to figure out how to play well so I need some advice on the following things. Also I just wanna say I don't know any of the lingo or game specific terms.

How to pick which role you are gonna play in a game, like which lane and what your purpose is i.e tank, healer, dps?

Which hero to pick and since I don't own any, maybe which hero to buy?

Which runes and masteries to use?

Which items to buy once I'm in the game and why?

---
http://www.youtube.com/otakuchrash
#2boktai3Posted 2/6/2013 10:05:03 AM
AshAcrimonious posted...
Hi all, I recently started playing LoL and so far all I've done is some bot games. I am trying to figure out how to play well so I need some advice on the following things. Also I just wanna say I don't know any of the lingo or game specific terms.

How to pick which role you are gonna play in a game, like which lane and what your purpose is i.e tank, healer, dps?

1)look at your team, you need one support, one ADC, one jungler, one mage (mid) and top varies a little but you will often see brusiers like darius or jace.

2)thats up to you really, just buy ones you think you'll like and try them out, tryn is easy for beginners but gets countered by people who know what they are doing.

3)masters depend on what you are doing, dps tend to do offense, support to support and tank to defense, but it all depends on what you need, same with runes

4)depends on who your fighting, if your gonna die quickly, buy health, if not, buy whatever stat scales your spells.
#3AshAcrimonious(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 10:11:42 AM
boktai3 posted...
AshAcrimonious posted...

1)look at your team, you need one support, one ADC, one jungler, one mage (mid) and top varies a little but you will often see brusiers like darius or jace.

2)thats up to you really, just buy ones you think you'll like and try them out, tryn is easy for beginners but gets countered by people who know what they are doing.

3)masters depend on what you are doing, dps tend to do offense, support to support and tank to defense, but it all depends on what you need, same with runes

4)depends on who your fighting, if your gonna die quickly, buy health, if not, buy whatever stat scales your spells.

One of the main things I don't understand is how you are supposed to decide who's gonna do what. In all the games I've played against bots people just seem to randomly do what they want. Generally I have gone in the middle lane and just tried to push forward. I used that hero with the throwable spiky disc thing, the woman.

I think Xin Zhao looks cool, is he good?
---
http://www.youtube.com/otakuchrash
#4VentonPosted 2/6/2013 10:14:53 AM
The thing that will get you learning the fastest is farming. Focus less on killing champions early and more on staying healthy and last hitting minions. You only get gold for the killing blow on the minions pushing the lane, so focus on getting the last hits. The gold from that will scale you much more commonly than champion kills. Only go for vhamp kills if its an obvious kill. Its not worth setting yourself back and feeding the other team if you dont know
---
Starcraft 2 - KannedTuna.820 - Masters Zerg
LoL: Kanshuna
#5zaingasmPosted 2/6/2013 10:22:28 AM
For the runes, when you start out, I recommend buying as many champs as possible until about level 17/18, then start saving your IP for runes since you can start buying Tier 3 at level 20. I started saving around level 19, and I'm still working on my last page, even at level 30.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2019-9981-2913 [PSN:ZainEatsAirplane]
http://imgur.com/0UWsQQD.jpg <3
#6boktai3Posted 2/6/2013 10:24:01 AM
AshAcrimonious posted...

One of the main things I don't understand is how you are supposed to decide who's gonna do what. In all the games I've played against bots people just seem to randomly do what they want. Generally I have gone in the middle lane and just tried to push forward. I used that hero with the throwable spiky disc thing, the woman.

I think Xin Zhao looks cool, is he good?

honestly, this is where teamwork falls apart, without friends, your just getting a buncha jerks who just do whatever they want, so you either have to be nice and fill, or be a jerk yourself and pick whatever you want, i'd suggest the latter if its not ranked.

and as the person above me said, farming is one of the most imporant thing to learn, between getting a kill and getting killed yourself, or just hurting your lane enemy and getting them out of lane so you can farm, the latter is better, 20ish minions is a champ kill, so the more you last hit the more you get ahead.

also i think you mean orianna, she has a low skill floor but a high skill ceiling, just learn how her skills combo, she had a skillshot into aoe or ult, as well as a shield,
#7BigTee66Posted 2/6/2013 10:44:57 AM
Garen and Ashes are great for newbies, IMO. Mostly Garen
---
http://i.imgur.com/Ji5QbEJ.gif
Burstman: The Danger Wrap isnt a Taco Bell meal
#8ShadowD00mPosted 2/6/2013 11:00:57 AM
I'll keep this short, for the most part pre-20 levels will suck. You will have to deal with Smurfs and people who have no idea what to do, but also refuse to ask for help or advice. I experienced a lot of both when leveling, and i gets frustrating. However, when you get past 20, more closely to 25 games will get better, people will communicate more (Somewhat) and people will actually try to play other roles.

So the best tip I can give you is learn all roles early, try to communicate with your team as much as possible, and if someone gives you trouble ignore them and don't fight back.
---
Gamer Tag: Ultimated00m
LoL IGN: Rezem
#9hawkeye2188Posted 2/6/2013 2:38:15 PM
Dont buy runes before level 20.
---
GT: hawkeye2188