How does everyone feel about the new sightstones?

#1MrFailPosted 2/6/2013 11:57:59 AM
I can't help but feel like the new costs aren't justifiable. Just the regular sightstone costs as much as 12(?) wards now. If that wasn't enough, you can only maintain 2-3 at a time and lastly, the fact that you have to lock down gold for returns you won't get for another 15 minutes (if at all) also makes it risky to pick up.

Feels like just buying wards is the way to go now. Thoughts?
#2Blue_IronPosted 2/6/2013 11:59:38 AM
Yeah, WAY too expensive
980 GP for 2 wards is just too damn much, i'd rather just buy normal wards and rush my aegis asap instead
---
You kids always talking about little Timmy
One of these days he's gonna get mad that people are talking behind his back like that -BraveAdol
#3MrFail(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 12:01:54 PM
Blue_Iron posted...
Yeah, WAY too expensive
980 GP for 2 wards is just too damn much, i'd rather just buy normal wards and rush my aegis asap instead

I feel similarly except with philo.
#4SmishhhPosted 2/6/2013 12:11:19 PM
The item is still very cost efficient and saves you more money than any other gp10 item if you are using the item every time you should be. If you keep out 2 wards at a time its over 8 gp10 essentially you are saving.

The cost increase may seem bad on the surface, but I prefer it this way really. Before you needed to save 700g at one time to buy it, which feel terrible to do if you are rushing it like you should be. This means if you back or die, you have to leave base with no extra stats since you still need to save, or else buy something cheap and delay the sightstone a bit more. Now you can buy the ruby crystal, instant benefit of more health in lane, and finish it off next time you go back.

Also you are getting more health for it and the upgrade, so its a bit more worth the slot it takes up come late game. I do agree that the limits one it should really be bumped up though, keep the charges the same but have 3 and 4 active at once.
#5MrFail(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 12:35:08 PM
@smishhh

You are only GAINING gold after you pay off the stone's cost in wards. Which takes more than 18 minutes assuming you only count wards that receive their full 3 minutes. I can see how a Lee Sin might go for that, but not a support. Who do you play as?
#6TriangularTwigPosted 2/6/2013 12:37:46 PM(edited)
Which takes more than 18 minutes assuming you only count wards that receive their full 3 minutes.

why would you do that?

its not like if you lose a ward through vision/oracles you get your gold refunded

makes no sense to calculate it that way

it doesnt matter how long the wards are out. it matters how many of them you put out
#7Luster_SlyPosted 2/6/2013 12:39:33 PM
If you're a support and only placing 12 wards a game, shame on you.
3 wards on the map every 3 minutes = a lot more than 12.
---
Core i5 3570k 3.4Ghz | GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H | Kingston HyperX Black Series 8GB 1600Mhz | 1TB HDD | GeForce GTX 660 Ti | Corsair CX600 | Corsair 300R Windowed
#8MrFail(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 1:01:41 PM
TriangularTwig posted...
Which takes more than 18 minutes assuming you only count wards that receive their full 3 minutes.

why would you do that?

its not like if you lose a ward through vision/oracles you get your gold refunded

makes no sense to calculate it that way

it doesnt matter how long the wards are out. it matters how many of them you put out

I should have been more clear. I was referring to the idea of destroying wards by placing more than the capacity sightstone allows. Bad wording, my mistake.

Of course wards destroyed by the enemy count.
#9MrFail(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 1:12:10 PM
Luster_Sly posted...
If you're a support and only placing 12 wards a game, shame on you.
3 wards on the map every 3 minutes = a lot more than 12.

That's 12 wards before sightstone pays off. Probably 18 before Ruby pays off. The question is, "Is the increased cost justified considering you are restricted to either 2 or 3 at a time?" Also considering that you won't actually profit from the stone for at least 10 minutes.
#10tlalynet0Posted 2/6/2013 1:23:00 PM
I've made it an extremely late game item if the enemy isn't warding or I have oracles and don't need pink wards. Its an HP+wards slot and slightly better than a just ward slot in that case.

It's not a rush buy though.