What's it take to go pro??

#1SexualPizzaPosted 2/7/2013 12:00:27 AM
Just wondering what the pro players had to do before they got to where they are. Did they literally just do nothing but play LoL or something? It would be a sweet job, but I just never really understood how much one would actually have to play to get that good.

I wanna get paid to play vidyagaemes. :(

I hate my job. :(

But I suck at this game. No hope.
---
Best thing in life: Sex
Second best thing in life: Pizza
#2Sony_FanaticPosted 2/7/2013 12:01:48 AM
git gud scrub
---
PSN PHOENIX_4pp | LoL Ikasnu
Platinum Trophies Modern Warfare 3 | Motorstorm: Apocalypse
#3Sir Spiffy CapePosted 2/7/2013 12:15:27 AM
You don't have to be good at this game, just decent. Plat is a good level to be around.

Then you pick and choose a few of the following traits:

Is a girl.
Is hot.
Makes funny jokes.
Gives good commentary.
Can hold people's interest.
Has natural charisma.
Can write decently.
Has a few regular friends who can entertain audiences.

Then you start a stream, post on blogs every day, and eventually people will follow you around and you become a pro game writer/streamer/blogger/whateverismoresuccessful through the magic of ads and donations!
---
A game that promotes slavery and gambling under the illusion of 'friendship' and 'sportsmanship' is automatically an awesome game. - dydt
#4JaggiJumperPosted 2/7/2013 12:17:17 AM
Sir Spiffy Cape posted...
You don't have to be good at this game, just decent. Plat is a good level to be around.

Is a girl.
Is hot.
Makes funny jokes.
Gives good commentary.
Has natural charisma.
Can write decently.

Then you start a stream, post on blogs every day, and eventually people will follow you around and you become a pro game writer/streamer/blogger/whateverismoresuccessful through the magic of ads and donations!

I agree with most of these, except, disagree with the elo requirement. There are several YouTubers who make a lot of money (not quite a living) like SivHD and Dunkey.
---
http://www.youtube.com/TimMH3
LoL IGN: I Am Zyra. Aphoristic (12:31): all you do is b****
#5Ninjapleas3Posted 2/7/2013 12:20:22 AM
You have to not mind being completely broke for a really long time.
#6HeroshiX2Posted 2/7/2013 12:34:26 AM(edited)
JaggiJumper posted...
Sir Spiffy Cape posted...

Is a girl.
Is hot.
Makes funny jokes.
Gives good commentary.
Has natural charisma.
Can write decently.

I agree with most of these, except, disagree with the elo requirement. There are several YouTubers who make a lot of money (not quite a living) like SivHD and Dunkey.

OP Wanted to know how to go pro, which in League doesn't take too much compared to some other other games, so long as you're good to climb elo/can stream/etc.

But yeah being entertaining alone can net you a decent amount of money, as much as I dislike Dunkey and don't consider him funny at all, the guy has things set for awhile.

Edit: Also yeah, for most pros they consider it a job, this means a lot of time will need to be dedicated to playing the game, learning, meeting the right people (assuming you even make it high up in elo to form a team or get connections/friends) and if you're in school or have a steady job, likely won't happen that easily.

And as stated above, I've heard being a professional gamer of nearly any kind can cost loads of money, but I'm not too well versed in that knowledge. In fact most of my knowledge of how the pro scene works in League was back in Closed Beta/Open Beta/Season 1 when I actually used to talk to a couple of the current top players. (So take my text with a grain of salt)

If only I had known what some would become and stuck with them.
#7AKizlePosted 2/7/2013 12:31:53 AM
I am not a pro at LoL, however, I can give you some advice that may help.

1. Have a complete understanding of general game mechanics.
2. Familiarize yourself with the Summoner Rift map completely. Know where to ward, know the jungle routes, know which walls you can flash/jump over/pull through and get pulled. Know how to safely farm jungle monsters. Etc.
3. Pick a few champs (1-3) and master them. Doesn't mean you can't play other champs, just get muscle memory familiarity with those 1-3 champs.
4. Communication with team is key, so practice calling MIA's and using pings. Practice asking your Jungler for help if you legitimately need it and he may not know. If you're planning to do something big during a team fight to a specific enemy champ, it may be helpful to let your team know.
5. Learn to have map awareness and positioning.
6. Plan your gaming time effectively. Life happens, but if you're just playing because you're bored and have nothing better to do, your head may not be in the game and now you've screwed your teammates.
---
Hope is the first step on the long road to disappointment
#8SexualPizza(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:56:56 AM
So like...you don't even have to play a ridiculous amount just to go pro? You pretty much just whore yourself out until people start noticing?

Weak.
---
Best thing in life: Sex
Second best thing in life: Pizza
#9Alom_o_molaPosted 2/7/2013 1:09:35 AM
You'll hate LoL once you play pro

You have to play it like no tomorrow

and the pay is terrible in the long run
---
UMvC3 Team ~ Nova[Centurion Rush]/Rocket Raccoon[Spitfire]/Amaterasu[Cold Star] ~ PSN: Xr0s-up
Official Galactus of UMVC3
#10DualSword31Posted 2/7/2013 1:10:11 AM
be afraid of girls