Finally got the final "trick" down to improving my ADC game

#1Rookie_JetPosted 2/11/2013 11:12:49 AM
Easier said than done for me, but just keep moving in team fights helps a ton.

I only just started playing ADC and I'm used to playing tops/bruisers so my reflex is to hop in the middle and stick to a squishy. While logically, I know ADCs are way squishier and can't do that, my habit was still to right click squishies until they died. Obviously, their squishies are in the back if they're smart which means to attack them (even as a ranged champ), I'm in the middle of the tank/bruiser clash between the rest of the squishies.

Now, while I still try to target a squishy if available, I pay a lot more attention to my positioning as well as the bruisers' positions and whether they're coming for me or not. Now, I notice if two bruisers are coming at me, I need to kite them while they continue chasing and doing no damage in the meantime (unless they're Amumu or someone with persistent AoE or have sunfire).

Yes, I'm not doing as much damage while I'm kiting, but I'm doing some and hopefully, my team is doing some/peeling for me while I stay alive. A dead ADC does zero damage. At least if I live, I can clean up when it's safe.

Sorry, this probably sounds like common sense to most of you, but for someone new to ADC, this will improve your game dramatically. It is and was common sense to me too, but actually paying enough attention to do it is the hump you need to get over.
#2angermngment101Posted 2/11/2013 11:14:14 AM
Trick to playing ADC... Stay alive, and auto whoever you can.

Staying alive is #1.
---
Gamefax
#3Rookie_Jet(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 11:25:21 AM
angermngment101 posted...
Trick to playing ADC... Stay alive, and auto whoever you can.

Staying alive is #1.

Yeah, that's pretty much a tl;dr of my post if that's what you were going for :-)
#4POkemon_PoWeRPosted 2/11/2013 11:27:54 AM
Here's another trick to getting better at ADC:
Play support.
---
I'm the best player here. The rest of you aren't as good as me-ninja1357
LoL IGN: m0bilize (NA)
#5Rookie_Jet(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 11:32:53 AM
Yeah, I play a fair amount of support, but I don't feel like it really helped me play ADC. I've always been decent during laning as ADC. It was the team fights that I failed to contribute to.
#6bstbllPosted 2/11/2013 11:36:32 AM
Yeah, practicing kiting was definitely the biggest thing that made me improve as an ADC. I basically just made sure to practice orbwalking when I was CSing rather than just hitting S after each kill, and it massively helped my ability to kite during teamfights.
---
So basically communists are druids. -Gestapoid
#7xMikhalxPosted 2/11/2013 11:53:50 AM
I have some tips coming from a support/jungler player that can ADC relatively well.

Playing a good support helps you understand how helpful a good support is and what you want as an ADC. Also helps you differentiate between the subtleties of a good support and a bad one.

IE: Bad supports get baited into pickpockets and effectively freezing the lane. If your character/support autos an enemy champion near their minion wave, the opposing minions shortly chase after the attacking champion. During that time, they're not attacking and your minions are, effectively pushing and freezing the lane on their side.

Each ADC player has different preferences and having a support that accommodates your playstyle helps a ton. I'm an aggressive poker, so I prefer high sustain lanes; I am more confident in my skills to bully the other player than trying to all in and potentially getting ganked.

IE: I have a preference with Sona/Soraka players than Leona/Blitz.
#8Rookie_Jet(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 12:05:00 PM
xMikhalx posted...
I have some tips coming from a support/jungler player that can ADC relatively well.

Playing a good support helps you understand how helpful a good support is and what you want as an ADC. Also helps you differentiate between the subtleties of a good support and a bad one.

IE: Bad supports get baited into pickpockets and effectively freezing the lane. If your character/support autos an enemy champion near their minion wave, the opposing minions shortly chase after the attacking champion. During that time, they're not attacking and your minions are, effectively pushing and freezing the lane on their side.

Each ADC player has different preferences and having a support that accommodates your playstyle helps a ton. I'm an aggressive poker, so I prefer high sustain lanes; I am more confident in my skills to bully the other player than trying to all in and potentially getting ganked.

IE: I have a preference with Sona/Soraka players than Leona/Blitz.

I agree with you that playing other positions helps learn the game, but imo, playing support only really helps you as an ADC player during laning phase.

I'm a poker as well. My main ADC is Tristana so I like to E poke as much as possible. While sustain lanes are typically considered the paper to a poke lane's rock, the healing debuff for Trist's E makes her a bit of a problem even for sustain lanes. It's nice :-)
#9xMikhalxPosted 2/11/2013 12:11:34 PM
Hmm that's fair; but positioning can work both ways. If you know how to protect an ADC, you'll know where to position as one so that being protected is easier. /shrug.

I wouldn't know all too much, my ADC is subpar at best. I haven't had to test my mettle against anyone too good atm. Maybe once I get to diamond.
#10Rookie_Jet(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 12:15:50 PM
I guess it depends on your support too. If you're Zilean, for example, you're probably right back there with your ADC as opposed to Ali or Leona who would be in the fray.