Do you guys think DOTA 2 will ever take over in popularity?

#101PirahnoPlantmanPosted 2/15/2013 9:27:00 PM(edited)
DotA may have a higher skill ceiling, but that doesn't matter in a comparison between the two games unless you can play above League's skill ceiling, which has not been demonstrated.

Why does it need to be demonstrated? Destiny quit SC2 for LoL and he's now one of the best Draven players. You don't need to know that people that have more mechanical experience in the ARTS genre via DotA will do good in LoL. Here you have a guy who's never even played the genre before who's making an example for you how low the skill ceiling is.
---
XanderKage: "F2P is a fate worse than death"
#102BlackBeetleborgPosted 2/15/2013 9:27:24 PM
HaHaUrAn00b posted...
LoL isn't challenging for any average Dota player. Dota is challenging for even the best of LoL players. So yes, I am saying LoL isn't challenging. At least not for me. Being able to jump in the game for the first time and be winning consistently after three games with only the base heroes... well... that means it isn't very challenging. At least not at the pub level. Which is what we all are. So no point in trying to refute that one based on professional play. But even professionally, LoL has so much less skill to it than Dota.

I feel the same way, and anyone to argue this hasn't played enough DotA. Immediately after coming back to LoL from DotA 2, I felt like I had just come out of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, or taken off 1000 pound weights from my ankles. LoL was a breeze because I didn't have to deal with all the s*** that comes with DotA.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NXnxTNIWkc
LoL - BlueberryHuggles
#103HaHaUrAn00bPosted 2/15/2013 9:43:39 PM
Covenant posted...
If League of Legends is so easy, then why aren't DotA pros entering tournaments and winning easy money?

The fact is, League's larger community produces better players. The height of the skill ceiling isn't as important as having a competitive community that pushes people towards it. League of Legends is harder than DotA because there are better players to play against.

DotA may have a higher skill ceiling, but that doesn't matter in a comparison between the two games unless you can play above League's skill ceiling, which has not been demonstrated.

... because they are winning more and being better playing in DotA tournaments...
---
Diamond FC: 4983 1403 8488
Platinum FC: 1032 7296 3178
#104HulkkisPosted 2/15/2013 9:45:43 PM
It will be for sure. Slowly people realize that LOL can never be taken seriously when Dota 2 is around. It is a simple fact that one game is better in pretty much all aspects no matter how hard fans want to deny it.
---
"South-Korea is the only nation whose national sport has a sequel."
-Disc
#105HaHaUrAn00bPosted 2/15/2013 9:47:23 PM
Also... LoL < challenging Dota because... what is deny? Lol.

/thread
---
Diamond FC: 4983 1403 8488
Platinum FC: 1032 7296 3178
#106Ant_to_the_maxPosted 2/15/2013 11:11:27 PM
Shiranui777 posted...
Oh did you disconnect for 3 seconds? Here let me put you in Low priority for a day.

But Paul I have 50 abandons and never got low priority for disconnecting and coming back a second later!

Yea well tell that to the broken mess they call dota 2s priority system.

You need to connect to steam to connect to steam, a connection to steams servers cannot be made, despite me being googlin and playing all sorts of new youtube vids. So very fun.

Oh you wanna surrender lol? Nah your team sucked so lets get you spawn killed for 30 minutes while you get punished for sitting there for too long,

Low priority if you leave, low priority if you stay. SO FUN LOL

You sound so bitter. It doesn't help your case when you are making up a fake story and trying to look like a victim.
---
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/26/129167586636177506.gif
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007133925
#107Tom0087Posted 2/15/2013 11:15:44 PM
i think it has a pretty good shot
---
cig.gw?
#108Hayato tDDPosted 2/16/2013 1:56:52 AM
HaHaUrAn00b posted...
Also... LoL < challenging Dota because... what is deny? Lol.

/thread

Pirate had deny, then people whined... Lol.

I was an avid league player until around the end of season 2. That's when a friend of mine gave me a Dota2 beta invite. Since then I haven't really touched league but a few times. It really is a joke how much harder Dota2 is compared to league.

Playing Dota is just so much more fun. It won't pass up league tho.

Tuskar > any champ in league.
---
Sanity is a one trick pony, all you get with it is rational thought, but with crazy the sky's the limit.
#109CovenantPosted 2/17/2013 3:44:58 AM
HaHaUrAn00b posted...
... because they are winning more and being better playing in DotA tournaments...

Gyro822 posted...
Why do top pros in LoL say the game is very easy? Not to mention that 95% of all games are decided by 10min mark

Neither of you provided sources for your claims, despite the fact that they both cite dubious statistics.

I appreciate the fact that you two limit your s***posting to DotA threads. It would be a shame if you clogged up worthwhile threads with this chicanery.

PirahnoPlantman posted...
Why does it need to be demonstrated?

Because I put forth an argument that is only refuted by a demonstration that people can play at League's skill ceiling.

And note that the skill ceiling does not simply involve mechanical skill. It also includes teamwork and judgment. They are aspects that you are minimizing because the primary difference between the games is the gap in mechanical skill, but they comprise such large parts of the actual skill needed to play the games that they make the gap you focus on seem tiny in comparison.