Why is League of Legends so popular when the pros say Dota 2 is better?

#111Vince40Posted 2/17/2013 9:10:48 AM
Unbridled9 posted...
Assuming that this is true and the pros do, in fact, say DotA 2 is better with enough of a majority as to be credible, there are several reasons why it's not as popular.

1) Cost: LoL is free, DotA 2 is not. That means DotA 2 has to be whatever the price is better than LoL in order to attract customers away from LoL and to DotA 2.

2) Simplicity. LoL isn't the most complex game around. Anyone can pick it up and still figure it out reasonably. Maybe not enough to compete at a professional level, but someone can learn how to play fairly easily and doesn't have to learn things like denials and the like.

3) Community. LoL has a toxic community, but from what I've seen of DotA2's community, it's FAR more toxic. Even if you downright suck at LoL you can still play the vs. AI stuff and no one will care, but in DotA2, even a slight mistake can receive far more ire than in LoL.

4) Time. LoL's simply been out much longer than DotA2 and is simply more relevant ATM to the average gamer.

Didn't read other pages but did everyone already jump on this guy? Please tell me you all did.....
---
I want something good to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Queens Of The Stoneage
#112TheDarkNerdPosted 2/17/2013 9:49:56 AM
You spend IP.
You spend RP.
Both of them are spending something. Spending is spending; the definition doesn't change whether you're dealing with real money or not. You spend IP to buy champions, or you spend IP to buy runes. Either way, you're spending your points on something. You are spending, paying, what ever you want to call it.

The thing is though, the term "pay2win" has always meant whoever is willing to spend the most actual money on the game has the significant advantage. The term originated in MMOs, which in almost every case had in-game currency to spend. Ones that were entirely isolated to their in-game currency were never called "pay2win", even if buying equipment gave you a significant advantage.

IP is an in-game currency. RP is purchased with actual money. No additional monetary sacrifice is needed to spend IP.
---
http://i39.tinypic.com/xnar69.gif
#113ThedraxPosted 2/17/2013 9:54:27 AM
BlackBeetleborg posted...
Again, someone who just blocks out or ignores what I said before.

You spend IP.
You spend RP.
Both of them are spending something. Spending is spending; the definition doesn't change whether you're dealing with real money or not. You spend IP to buy champions, or you spend IP to buy runes. Either way, you're spending your points on something. You are spending, paying, what ever you want to call it.

I'm sorry, I didn't know which of your embarrassingly wrong statements to quote. Let me break this down:

IP is an in-game currency that can be entirely obtained through playing the game, without putting any real money into it. It can be used to buy things that give you stats, and therefore an advantage against other players.

Gold is also an in-game currency that can be entirely obtained through playing the game, without putting any real money into it. It too can be used to buy things that give you stats, and therefore an advantage against other players.

Guess what? DOTA 2 has gold too. If spending or paying an in-game currency that you didn't have to buy with real money makes a game pay2win, DOTA 2 is just as pay2win as LoL.
---
"Fursecution"? Oh, you're addicted to chocohol?
**** you.
#114BlackBeetleborgPosted 2/17/2013 12:14:22 PM
DarkestPanda posted...
How could someone not pick on you when you have crit chance on your ap and ad runes.

Oh I'm sorry, let me rephrase what I said before. It might make sense this time.

I'm giving examples, my dear misguided teen. Examples of people that I've seen pick on other people. Those people exist, and it's wrong that they do.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NXnxTNIWkc
LoL - BlueberryHuggles
#115supershadonicPosted 2/17/2013 12:21:52 PM
Cooler anime looking characters with personality
Boobs and butts

This is the reason imo why LOL has bigger fanbase.
#116eco masterPosted 2/17/2013 12:33:19 PM
BlackBeetleborg posted...
Again, someone who just blocks out or ignores what I said before.

Pay2win is relevant when you spend real money to gain advantages over non-paying customers. IP is not pay2win.
---
ill be here 4 u eco jus lyk the mop on the commercial babby-wechina23
fighting games suck-bluerain
#117Tactician_LordPosted 2/17/2013 12:33:59 PM
TheDarkNerd posted...
You spend IP.
You spend RP.

The thing is though, the term "pay2win" has always meant whoever is willing to spend the most actual money on the game has the significant advantage. The term originated in MMOs, which in almost every case had in-game currency to spend. Ones that were entirely isolated to their in-game currency were never called "pay2win", even if buying equipment gave you a significant advantage.

IP is an in-game currency. RP is purchased with actual money. No additional monetary sacrifice is needed to spend IP.

This...BlackBeetleborg, why exactly do you not know what pay2win is? You have no excuse, you were told you had the wrong definition yet you keep it up. Pay2win is only applicable when you spend real life money to get an advantage.
---
You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch.
#118TheDarkNerdPosted 2/17/2013 12:34:00 PM
DarkestPanda posted...
How could someone not pick on you when you have crit chance on your ap and ad runes.

Oh I'm sorry, let me rephrase what I said before. It might make sense this time.

I'm giving examples, my dear misguided teen. Examples of people that I've seen pick on other people. Those people exist, and it's wrong that they do.

Why is it so wrong that someone who made more intelligent decisions in how to spend their IP has an advantage over someone who didn't?
---
http://i39.tinypic.com/xnar69.gif
#119DarkestPandaPosted 2/17/2013 12:38:57 PM
DarkestPanda posted...

Yeah, people pick on you because you have bad runes.
---
http://i.imgur.com/3n3BL.gif http://i.imgur.com/f1X4R.gif
http://i.imgur.com/c7X5V.jpg http://i.imgur.com/amqHr.jpg
#120Village IdiotPosted 2/17/2013 1:13:04 PM
LoL's more fun to play

Dota 2's more fun to watch
---
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude