Why is League of Legends so popular when the pros say Dota 2 is better?

#121aibohphobiaPosted 2/18/2013 10:03:39 PM
"dota2 is less accessiable"
*rave about content unlocking grind*
"LoL is not p2w"
*inability to understand opportunity cost*

never change gfaqs

Tactician_Lord posted...
DoTa2

this is killing me
---
asdfghjklkjhgfdsa
#122mario_gamerPosted 2/21/2013 11:19:14 PM
the hero's were cool but things just seemed like the same BS last hit crap

Don't play a carry?
---
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h96/jjj1ddd2sss3/sig2.jpg
#123DinhPosted 2/22/2013 10:39:49 AM
Holy crap, this topic. It isn't a difficult question to answer, people. Popularity has nothing to do with the quality of a product.

Was Final Fantasy VII really better than Final Fantasy VI or IX?

Is World of Warcraft the "best" MMO?

Is LoL a better game than DoTA 2?

No, but they're the kings, bow down.
#124Tactician_LordPosted 2/22/2013 11:00:22 AM
Dinh posted...
Holy crap, this topic. It isn't a difficult question to answer, people. Popularity has nothing to do with the quality of a product.

People decide that, the gaming community decides that. Whether ones agrees with it or not has no bearing to that fact. The community of gamers will decide which games are the best...and they`ve decided that those that you listed are indeed the best. Asking if any game was "really" better than another is an indirect way of implying it wasn`t. Nice try though.
---
You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch.
#125DinhPosted 2/22/2013 11:37:42 AM(edited)
Tactician_Lord posted...
Dinh posted...

People decide that, the gaming community decides that. Whether ones agrees with it or not has no bearing to that fact. The community of gamers will decide which games are the best...and they`ve decided that those that you listed are indeed the best. Asking if any game was "really" better than another is an indirect way of implying it wasn`t. Nice try though.

So you're saying popularity is a measure of quality? You're wrong. Argumentum ad populum one of the easiest fallacies to spot.

You can't be naive enough to believe that Marvel's Avengers, Avatar, and Titanic are the three greatest movies ever made simply because more people watched them. All that proves is that, well, more people watched them. Same is true with the most popular games. In many cases it's because they appeal to the lowest common denominator, the widest base, like WoW and League. In others it's because they were the first in people's hearts, like FFVII. It is what is is, and nothing else should be attributed to it.
#126dasmeseePosted 2/22/2013 11:54:25 AM
so I guess Mc Donalds is the best food ever with billions served and Walmart is the best store over anything else.

Popularity does not = the best it's just what it is populer by means of convinience which both examples have.

Avengers came out when nothing really was good in theatres and a dry spell.

WOW did the same and has ads played constantly on t.v and the game runs on a toaster.

Mcdonalds the same with ads

Walmart is a very versatile store with good prices and even seell groceries all in the same place.

LOL is easy and basic to learn and is free which is why it's populer

The key is convinience and thats what these all offer but that does not make them the best.
#127Tactician_LordPosted 2/22/2013 12:03:35 PM
Dinh posted...
Tactician_Lord posted...
Dinh posted...

So you're saying popularity is a measure of quality? You're wrong. Argumentum ad populum one of the easiest fallacies to spot.

You can't be naive enough to believe that Marvel's Avengers, Avatar, and Titanic are the three greatest movies ever made simply because more people watched them. All that proves is that, well, more people watched them. Same is true with the most popular games. In many cases it's because they appeal to the lowest common denominator, the widest base, like WoW and League. In others it's because they were the first in people's hearts, like FFVII. It is what is is, and nothing else should be attributed to it.

In terms of media it is. People will always be what decides what is best and what isn`t. Now, be kind of enough to point out where I mentioned quality in my post...I`ll wait. If you notice, I was addressing the questions and not the paragraph above them.
---
You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch.
#128P00DGEPosted 2/22/2013 12:31:05 PM
Dinh posted...
Tactician_Lord posted...
Dinh posted...

But when people like you cast these opinions aside, claiming that YOU know what is objectively better or not, it makes you look like a tool. People use different criteria when "objectively" rating something. I personally find League to be a MUCH better game objectively than Dota2.
#129DinhPosted 2/22/2013 3:26:10 PM
P00DGE posted...
Dinh posted...
Tactician_Lord posted...
Dinh posted...

But when people like you cast these opinions aside, claiming that YOU know what is objectively better or not, it makes you look like a tool. People use different criteria when "objectively" rating something. I personally find League to be a MUCH better game objectively than Dota2.

Of course people will have preferences and some will disagree with my examples,
I chose those specific games in my list because they are classic examples of games that are MASSIVELY more popular than their counterparts despite the fact that many genre fans and critics consider the other games I listed to be better/higher quality/more complex games.

The problem I have is when people say that a game is better than another using the size of the fanbase as their argument. I'm sure if I asked you, you could come up with plenty of reasons you prefer LoL over DoTA, but the post I was responding to claimed that the fact that the games had a large fanbase ("the community has decided") was proof, which is quite the leap of logic.

My first post was meant to show how flawed the premise of the OP's question was. The answer is that "popular" and "better" (better being defined as a combination of things like depth/balance/quality of the product) have nothing to do with each other. Unless you are like the person I responded to and define "better" as "more popular", in which case the OP's question answers itself.
#130mrmonstrPosted 2/22/2013 3:41:27 PM
supershadonic posted...
Cooler anime looking characters with personality
Boobs and butts

This is the reason imo why LOL has bigger fanbase.

---
LoL (EU West): mrmonstr