I play Nunu in the jungle and my experienced friend told me I am doing it wrong.

#1MrFailPosted 2/16/2013 8:41:07 AM
80/80

When I play, I usually am on par with my team's average level and don't start ganking till I get my ult since snowball generally doesn't secure kills unless lane is all the way pushed to our tower. I focus more on getting blood boil early and a few points in consume so that I can clear and roam jungle more hastily. My gold goes to Wriggles/boots/Warmogs then it derails to whatever fits the situation the best. When team fights break out, I can tank and knock off a third the HP bars with ult then spam BB and ball. Most games like this average about 5/3/10

I had him watch over my shoulder for the next game, and make every single decision for me. He had me max ball first so that my ganks were stronger. I helped secure 2 kills before getting my ult. I ended the game 3 levels lowers than my allies. My items looked very support-like with things like Zeke's/Aegis/Warmogs/boots. When team fights broke out, I did the usually ball enemy adc, BB ours, consume, ult on 3 or more. We won the game due to my influence in lanes early, but I was first to die in team fights. I ended 2/4/16.

TL;DR: Settle this for me. What is the better way to jungle? MAKE your lanes win early and have less presence later, or stay on par for the course of the game and be useful in late game?
#2Master Of The DeadPosted 2/16/2013 8:50:58 AM
Typically as Nunu jungle you want to be putting pressure on their jungle more than anything.
---
Gamertag: Dayy Hughes ~~~~~ Summoner Name (LoL EUW): Arcanine -----www.youtube.com/DayyHughes
http://i.imgur.com/jcW29.gif
#3OpforALLAHJIHADPosted 2/16/2013 8:54:54 AM
Your friend is right, for the most part.

Skilling up is right, snowball for ganks which you should be doing by lvl 4 if you aren't making the jungle hell for the enemy. Getting HP is huge. I prefer to get AP HP items, some prefer support HP items, both work well.

Your play style is fine.
---
LoL ign: otto lock
#4MrFail(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 9:07:33 AM(edited)
Master Of The Dead posted...
Typically as Nunu jungle you want to be putting pressure on their jungle more than anything.

Taking their monsters? I always freak out in the enemy jungle. Seems like you could get caught and die in the blink of an eye.

@ Allah
It just felt so wrong having support items and having little to do with team fights. I appreciate the thoughts though.
#5bstbllPosted 2/16/2013 9:12:08 AM(edited)
MrFail posted...

Taking their monsters? I always freak out in the enemy jungle. Seems like you could get caught and die in the blink of an eye.

The reason why Nunu is so strong is because of his counterjungling. Since you won't be staying to get a full creep camp, just the big one, you really only need to hit it a few times and then consume it, making it pretty quick and safe to counterjungle. Plus, if you do get caught, you're fairly good at escaping, just ice blast them, BB yourself, and run for your jungle. If you're really worried about it, throw a ward in the bush next to wraiths/wolves so you'll always have a general idea of where their jungler is.

Really, the reason why Nunu fell out of favor is because his ganks are so weak. He has a great CC, but it's got an incredibly slow travel time, which means that if they see you coming at all, chances are your gank will fail. Right now the meta involves significant jungle pressure on your lanes, so having a weak ganker is problematic when compared to someone like J4, Xin, or Maokai. Don't get me wrong, a good Nunu is a solid pick and if you successfully shut down the enemy jungler your weak ganks won't matter because you'll be able to pressure all the lanes well anyways. He's just fallen out of favor, particularly in the pro scene where there are wards everywhere so counterjungling is a much more risky proposition.

EDIT: To address the second part of your post, you can actually make a major difference in teamfights as Nunu. Obviously, you should be keeping blood boil on your ADC the entire time. Depending on how the fight goes, use your IB on either their ADC (if yours is safe) or their bruisers/assassins who are probably diving your ADC (if he's being attacked). Then just ult wherever it'll have the most impact and you've done your job.
---
So basically communists are druids. -Gestapoid
#6_Yag_Posted 2/16/2013 9:16:04 AM
MrFail posted...

@ Allah
It just felt so wrong having support items and having little to do with team fights. I appreciate the thoughts though.

the key to counterjungling is just experience. once you know the general pathing and times for a bunch of enemy junglers you can get in and out of their jungle quick to do maximum damage with minimum risk. for instance at lower levels its VERY easy to get a kill on an enemy purple jungler if you ambush them when theyre at double golems/red especially if you ping top to come help you. many times you'll get a double kill since the enemy top will likely try to aid their jungler but be late in showing up making him an easy target for another kill.

until you get comfortable with timings and map awareness though the best thing to do is keep a few wards on hand to get vision on likely ganking paths when you invade.
---
Archer: "ring ring.....hi planes? yeah, this is blimps.. you win"
Yagyujubei: 75 NIN/MNK/SAM/PLD/BLU Midgardsormr R.I.P
#7MrFail(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 9:19:36 AM
bstbll posted...
MrFail posted...

The reason why Nunu is so strong is because of his counterjungling. Since you won't be staying to get a full creep camp, just the big one, you really only need to hit it a few times and then consume it, making it pretty quick and safe to counterjungle. Plus, if you do get caught, you're fairly good at escaping, just ice blast them, BB yourself, and run for your jungle. If you're really worried about it, throw a ward in the bush next to wraiths/wolves so you'll always have a general idea of where their jungler is.

Really, the reason why Nunu fell out of favor is because his ganks are so weak. He has a great CC, but it's got an incredibly slow travel time, which means that if they see you coming at all, chances are your gank will fail. Right now the meta involves significant jungle pressure on your lanes, so having a weak ganker is problematic when compared to someone like J4, Xin, or Maokai. Don't get me wrong, a good Nunu is a solid pick and if you successfully shut down the enemy jungler your weak ganks won't matter because you'll be able to pressure all the lanes well anyways. He's just fallen out of favor, particularly in the pro scene where there are wards everywhere so counterjungling is a much more risky proposition.

EDIT: To address the second part of your post, you can actually make a major difference in teamfights as Nunu. Obviously, you should be keeping blood boil on your ADC the entire time. Depending on how the fight goes, use your IB on either their ADC (if yours is safe) or their bruisers/assassins who are probably diving your ADC (if he's being attacked). Then just ult wherever it'll have the most impact and you've done your job.

So as far as items are concerned, would you get wriggles if you counter jungle, or should I be sticking with the support type build?
#8MrFail(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 9:21:48 AM
_Yag_ posted...
MrFail posted...

@ Allah

the key to counterjungling is just experience. once you know the general pathing and times for a bunch of enemy junglers you can get in and out of their jungle quick to do maximum damage with minimum risk. for instance at lower levels its VERY easy to get a kill on an enemy purple jungler if you ambush them when theyre at double golems/red especially if you ping top to come help you. many times you'll get a double kill since the enemy top will likely try to aid their jungler but be late in showing up making him an easy target for another kill.

until you get comfortable with timings and map awareness though the best thing to do is keep a few wards on hand to get vision on likely ganking paths when you invade.

I am nowhere near that level of awareness but I'll try that out. It'll definitely be safer with eyes downfield.
#9gaara999999Posted 2/16/2013 9:23:13 AM
You should get spirit stone.

Also, you don't really need items to counterjungle as nunu. You just whack the big minion few times and use consume and then you just leave.
---
Your Existance is a plothole - Kaiolini
You aren't on YouTube so this makes your topic not real so hurhurhur. -Drekerr
#10_Yag_Posted 2/16/2013 9:31:39 AM
wriggles is a bit redundant on nunu since he has absurd sustain already and a built in smite, you would really be paying all that money for just a useful ward. Imho the best starting item to build on a tankier cooldown based jungler would be locket of the iron solari
---
Archer: "ring ring.....hi planes? yeah, this is blimps.. you win"
Yagyujubei: 75 NIN/MNK/SAM/PLD/BLU Midgardsormr R.I.P