Tips for a new person (Garen)

#1RuePosted 2/16/2013 11:41:20 AM
So I just started a few days ago and bought Garen with my starting RP and I really enjoy playing as him. I found some item suggestions both from Reddit and in-game people giving me tips and I wanted to double check everything here with you guys. Also, once I've saved up enough points I was thinking of getting Wukong as a backup in-case someone picks Garen before me. Is he a good character to use that's kinda similar to Garen? I like that Garen has no MP to worry about too. Anyways, here's what I've got so far:

First, I get the Brutalizer, then go for Merc Treads. After that I try for Sunfire followed by Black Cleaver (someone suggested something called Force of Nature but I couldn't find it in the search). From there I do Phage, Atmas and then Frozen Mallet with Ghostblade being the last thing I get if the match goes on that long or I do good enough to get the gold for all that. Someone also suggested Warmogs but I wasn't sure about that. Right now I use Heal and Revive for spells and was told to get Flash and Ignite as soon as I unlock them. Does this seem like a good setup for Garen?

I've been having a blast playing as him and have been getting around 10/1 or so in most games (I play only Humans VS AI). I play middle whenever I can get it.

Thanks for any advice and sorry for the rambling long post.
---
Final Fantasy XIV
Akito Tenkawa - Gysahl Social LS - Zodiac Braves
#2FvPPosted 2/16/2013 11:42:05 AM
> Garen
> RP

you dun goof'd
---
FvP | falco_vs_peach | *^*"The Shinies" Member*^* | Adventure Time Member
PBWSB | PDPSB | /pdpsb/ | PBWSB User Tournament Winner: DiabIo
#3Rue(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 11:44:10 AM
I still have 400 something somehow even though I was told you start with 400RP and 400 of the other stuff. Did I get extra from somewhere or did I start with more of the other points and just used that by accident? I honestly don't remember lol.
---
Final Fantasy XIV
#4FvPPosted 2/16/2013 11:46:42 AM
You get 400 RP (one time) for reaching level 3 I think
You get IP every time you play

RP can be purchased with money, so it's best to be frugal with it. IP is earned all the time, so spend that on champions, especially cheap ones like Garen
---
FvP | falco_vs_peach | *^*"The Shinies" Member*^* | Adventure Time Member
PBWSB | PDPSB | /pdpsb/ | PBWSB User Tournament Winner: DiabIo
#5Blarg92Posted 2/16/2013 11:47:23 AM
The more successful Garens I've seen build defense first, then items like brutalizer -> BC, bloodthirster once they're unkillable.
---
Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was everything that I thought it could be.~Office Space
#6Neo_PortaPottyPosted 2/16/2013 12:00:07 PM
Blarg92 posted...
The more successful Garens I've seen build defense first, then items like brutalizer -> BC, bloodthirster once they're unkillable.

Typically I'll go on boots 3 pots into a brutalized then rush warmogs Finnish boots finish cleaver then just build situationally typically grab a atmas since I build a ton of health.
---
If its elitist to want decent performance, accountability, and class knowledge from the people you play with... SIGN ME UP!
#7xMikhalxPosted 2/16/2013 12:02:27 PM
Only thing I suggest against is ghostblade; but beyond that, your build is fine.

To the above poster; tanky Garen when Garen is a bully early game kind of defeats the purpose... Should just build damage first and then tanky when you're going to get blown up. You have a W to take advantage of during laning phase.
#8Blarg92Posted 2/16/2013 12:06:54 PM
^ That's probably fine, just make sure you're tanky by the time teamfights roll around.

In my (limited) experience, most Garens on the other team get fed during laning phase. Around half of them build tanky, do decent damage anyways, continue to win lane, and are a pain in the ass all game long. The other half build AD, continue to win lane, and then get blown up in teamfights and lose.
---
Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was everything that I thought it could be.~Office Space
#9WhyYouSoSmartPosted 2/16/2013 12:33:05 PM
im #1 garen. Go lane against wherever the melee is, usually top. Destroy him at levl 6, but brut and then inifinity then cleaver. melt everyone and tank everything because you are just base tanky. buy mog and gg
#10Rue(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 12:36:41 PM
I don't understand about 90% of what is being said here lol. What is the laning phase? And since Ghostblade was suggested against, what's a good replacement? Warmogs? Thanks for all the replies, sorry I'm such a newb lol.
---
Final Fantasy XIV