Tips for a new person (Garen)

#11TheFinalEnigmaPosted 2/16/2013 1:56:28 PM
I suggest trying out an Exort build instead of the Quas one you're trying out right now. Also the hero you're trying to play is a rather advanced one, so if you're still having problems than I would suggest switching to an easier one. Meepo for example.
---
:u
#12TheDarkNerdPosted 2/16/2013 2:08:53 PM
I don't understand about 90% of what is being said here lol. What is the laning phase? And since Ghostblade was suggested against, what's a good replacement? Warmogs? Thanks for all the replies, sorry I'm such a newb lol.

I've been playing for what is probably a month now, and I'm still not fully sure of laning phase.

From what I understand, basically at the beginning of the game, you want to stick to staying in a designated lane, farming creeps (or be around creeps being farmed) to level up. You harass your opponent to keep them from doing the same, and you make an active effort to not push the place where the minions clash in their direction, lest you be pushed to their tower where they end up with an advantage. You do, however, want to push them to their tower if you've forced them out of lane and are reasonably confident that you can do substantial damage to their tower before retreating.

At some point, usually after a tower or two goes down from what I understand, you want to shift your focus from keeping to your own lane to going where you're needed, ganking opponents and pushing lanes so that you can actually go about the objective of destroying the enemy nexus, while keeping them from doing the same.
---
http://i39.tinypic.com/xnar69.gif
#13Rue(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 7:22:29 PM
I don't understand about 90% of what is being said here lol. What is the laning phase? And since Ghostblade was suggested against, what's a good replacement? Warmogs? Thanks for all the replies, sorry I'm such a newb lol.

I've been playing for what is probably a month now, and I'm still not fully sure of laning phase.

From what I understand, basically at the beginning of the game, you want to stick to staying in a designated lane, farming creeps (or be around creeps being farmed) to level up. You harass your opponent to keep them from doing the same, and you make an active effort to not push the place where the minions clash in their direction, lest you be pushed to their tower where they end up with an advantage. You do, however, want to push them to their tower if you've forced them out of lane and are reasonably confident that you can do substantial damage to their tower before retreating.

At some point, usually after a tower or two goes down from what I understand, you want to shift your focus from keeping to your own lane to going where you're needed, ganking opponents and pushing lanes so that you can actually go about the objective of destroying the enemy nexus, while keeping them from doing the same.

Thanks, that was really helpful!
---
Final Fantasy XIV
Akito Tenkawa - Gysahl Social LS - Zodiac Braves
#14Gladiator28Posted 2/16/2013 7:27:05 PM
I would refund Garen, so you can get the RP back. Riot Points (RP) is basically the in game currency that you have to buy with real money. RP is good for buying skins, or really expensive champions.

Now when I say expensive, I mean that they are expensive by "IP" standards, or Influence Points. You get IP from playing matches, which stacks pretty quickly if you play LoL a decent amount. Garen is only 450 IP, which is a very, very cheap amount. Now if you look at some of the newer champions, such as Nami or Thresh, they are 6300 IP. If you really wanted to try a new champ out but don't want to spend the time earning IP, then that's where I would spend the RP.

Also, go like the LoL facebook page and YouTube page to get Tristana and Alistar for free. That's a promotion theyre doing.
---
LoL - Jokmor
GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
#15Neo_PortaPottyPosted 2/16/2013 8:01:58 PM
Gladiator28 posted...
I would refund Garen, so you can get the RP back. Riot Points (RP) is basically the in game currency that you have to buy with real money. RP is good for buying skins, or really expensive champions.

Now when I say expensive, I mean that they are expensive by "IP" standards, or Influence Points. You get IP from playing matches, which stacks pretty quickly if you play LoL a decent amount. Garen is only 450 IP, which is a very, very cheap amount. Now if you look at some of the newer champions, such as Nami or Thresh, they are 6300 IP. If you really wanted to try a new champ out but don't want to spend the time earning IP, then that's where I would spend the RP.

Also, go like the LoL facebook page and YouTube page to get Tristana and Alistar for free. That's a promotion theyre doing.

Technically they give you a skin for doing that it just happens that if you don't have he champion you can't get said skin so you also get the champion if you haven't gotten it yet.
---
If its elitist to want decent performance, accountability, and class knowledge from the people you play with... SIGN ME UP!
#16Rue(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 8:33:56 PM
Thanks, I just got the 2 free champions, even though that facebook one wasn't very straightforward. I had to use IE instead of Chrome to make it work for some reason.
---
Final Fantasy XIV
#17Rue(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 9:40:27 AM
Oh, also I just checked and I never did spend RP on Garen, I spent IP. Not sure why I thought it was the other way around. So what should I save this 400 RP for?
---
Final Fantasy XIV
#18kirbymuncherPosted 2/17/2013 10:35:50 AM
Oh, also I just checked and I never did spend RP on Garen, I spent IP. Not sure why I thought it was the other way around. So what should I save this 400 RP for?

A skin you really like when it's on sale, or a champ that costs a lot of IP that you don't feel like saving up for

400 isn't really enough to buy anything worthwhile though, I don't think :\
---
IGN: Bobemmo
#19Rue(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 8:29:05 PM
Is there a way to get more without paying real money though?
---
Final Fantasy XIV
#20JennaTahliaPosted 2/17/2013 9:09:30 PM
Rue posted...
Is there a way to get more without paying real money though?

Hack Riot's servers and bring them down. They're bound to give out something in compensation
---
gibe moni pls
Add me I'm good. ign Schmelton