The reason LoL is the most popular MOBA is because of its Champions.

#101The-World-Seven(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 5:14:13 AM
This topic is also less about each individual champion and more about the answer to the question, "Does it have something for everyone?"
---
My Hubris is bigger than yours.
NA - TheWorld7 & Tragedy Baby // PBE - Je Suis
#102PirahnoPlantmanPosted 2/18/2013 5:30:02 AM
This topic is also less about each individual champion and more about the answer to the question, "Does it have something for everyone?"

Where are you going with this? LoL will never have heroes like these http://i.imgur.com/0DRoRct.jpg

Because skeletons. The closest you can get is Thresh and Hecarim.
---
XanderKage: "F2P is a fate worse than death"
#103The-World-Seven(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 5:44:48 AM
It's true, LoL lacks a skeleton guy.
I also feel that skeleton is necessary for continued success.
---
#104PirahnoPlantmanPosted 2/18/2013 6:00:57 AM(edited)
I also feel that skeleton is necessary for continued success.

That's not your previous point. Your previous point was, "Does it have something for everyone?" and it doesn't. End of line
---
XanderKage: "F2P is a fate worse than death"
#105The-World-Seven(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 6:11:13 AM(edited)
Well the point was about the answer, and the question is more of an approach or a philosophy rather than an actual yes or no question.
---
#106StupidMofozPosted 2/18/2013 6:56:40 AM(edited)
The-World-Seven posted...
Well the point was about the answer, and the question is more of an approach or a philosophy rather than an actual yes or no question.

It doesn't have good character design save for maybe Karma and Fizz. That's just me and my boyfriends take on it. So I guess it really doesn't have something for everyone.

Morello is way to afraid of niche champions. He wants every character to appeal to the average consumer in some way. Nothing too weird, which is a shame.

There are people who enjoy characters that are way out there, with a lot of personality behind them. Until I see the champions in league having as much voice clips as the Dota 2 ones, I can't really back them on being good characters. Just random archetypes since at the moment they are forgettable. Nothing about them makes the person go "wow I really want to learn more about this person."

Course there are ways Riot can solve this, but they make things like taking 2 years to rework Eve like the hardest thing to do in the world, when other companies can do it much, much faster. Just get their old voice actors to do a lot more lines, and give each champion a really detailed story and they will be making progress.
#107The-World-Seven(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 7:08:33 AM(edited)
I don't know anything about the depth of character development in DotA heroes, but there doesn't seem to be a need for much depth in a character for them to be easily picked up. In fact, the reason LoL is so easy to pick up casually is probably because one doesn't have to try very hard to understand who they're using to enjoy playing them.

Again, my running theory behind the philosophy of Riot's character development is, "How can we reach the most number of people with this content?", and creating something with appeal to the masses is most effectively done with broad strokes.
---
#108StupidMofozPosted 2/18/2013 7:17:38 AM(edited)
The-World-Seven posted...
I don't know anything about the depth of character development in DotA heroes, but there doesn't seem to be a need for much depth in a character for them to be easily picked up. In fact, the reason LoL is so easy to pick up casually is probably because one doesn't have to try very hard to understand who they're using to enjoy playing them.

Again, my running theory behind the philosophy of Riot's character development is, "How can we reach the most number of people with this content?", and creating something with appeal to the masses is most effectively done with broad strokes.

I agree it does appeal to the masses, but that also goes against the "Does it have something for everyone" theory since there are some people who actually do enjoy those niche characters that will never be released, and there's some who want back stories with depth and personality.

They have the majority, but not everyone is happy about Morello turning down potentially fun and out there characters.

That and there are some who like to have some depth and story behind their characters. It does it's job as a pick up and play game, just not one I can really take seriously. Which is fine since it was marketed as a casual game since day one.... Well.. now it's marketed as a competitive one.. odd...
#109DepressedOtterPosted 2/18/2013 7:18:08 AM
DotA 2 has boring characters

>like 12 are demon/skeleton characters wow original
>half of them are generic gods.
>only characters with a hint of personality are Batrider and Storm Spirit
>LE BLINK DAGGER xxdxxdxdxdXDXDXDXXXD

Seriously.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ThatRavage
http://i.imgur.com/8xkwd.png
#110The-World-Seven(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 7:35:01 AM
StupidMofoz posted...
I agree it does appeal to the masses, but that also goes against the "Does it have something for everyone" theory since there are some people who actually do enjoy those niche characters that will never be released, and there's some who want back stories with depth and personality.

They have the majority, but not everyone is happy about Morello turning down potentially fun and out there characters.

That and there are some who like to have some depth and story behind their characters. It does it's job as a pick up and play game, just not one I can really take seriously. Which is fine since it was marketed as a casual game since day one.... Well.. now it's marketed as a competitive one.. odd...

When I used the term 'something for everyone', 'the largest amount of people possible' was the operational definition of 'everyone', since they're not actually trying to please everyone.

Granted, LoL may have huuuge freedom in champion variety (from little pryo girls to time beards to animals), it has about as much room as it can fit in the lore section for deep characters. It isn't much, and you've got a point there. People are simply going to play other games (in other genres like RPGs or something) to really feel that sort of connection.

The way they're marketing right now still appeals to the masses in that anybody & everybody can be one of the top ranked players, and everybody has a chance to make it big in the pro leagues. As long as there is a ranking system, a winner and a loser, one cannot argue that LoL is not competitive. Game play difficulty has nothing to do with that nature of competition.
---