The reason LoL is the most popular MOBA is because of its Champions.

#21zazz9Posted 2/17/2013 2:23:38 PM
Noblesse_ posted...
Absolutely untrue. The only thing LoL has going for it was the first to F2P and is ultra casual. If HoN went F2P (at the start) like LoL did and was SLIGHTLY more casual..... HoN would have crushed LoL.... LoL would basically be where HoN is right now.

The bias is strong with this one.

I never even played HoN... and played Dota2 once (I don't want a Origin/Steam on my computer I removed it right away). So no.

I am... as unbiased as you can possibly get.
---
http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/12003_322bd612e8d4f596.png
#22The-World-Seven(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 2:26:34 PM
zazz9 posted...

false, and you were wrong earlier
---
My Hubris is bigger than yours.
NA - TheWorld7 & Tragedy Baby // PBE - Je Suis
#23The-World-Seven(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 2:27:35 PM
Try_Harder_Nubz posted...
Ninja Gaiden

!!!!!!! *props*
---
My Hubris is bigger than yours.
NA - TheWorld7 & Tragedy Baby // PBE - Je Suis
#24Sid_IcarusPosted 2/17/2013 2:29:26 PM
Noblesse_ posted...
Absolutely untrue. The only thing LoL has going for it was the first to F2P and is ultra casual. If HoN went F2P (at the start) like LoL did and was SLIGHTLY more casual..... HoN would have crushed LoL.... LoL would basically be where HoN is right now.

The bias is strong with this one.

I never even played HoN... and played Dota2 once (I don't want a Origin/Steam on my computer I removed it right away). So no.

Which is why you are entirely unaware of how much of an unbalanced mess HoN was and how terrible it's developers were. They outright instuled players on forums, refused to fix game breaking bugs for months, and at one point, one of them banned a player, everyone in his clan, and everyone on his friends list because he got in an argument with him
---
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
Lol IGN- ThatKillerBenoit
#25zazz9Posted 2/17/2013 2:32:30 PM
The-World-Seven posted...
zazz9 posted...

false, and you were wrong earlier

Oh it is quite true... and I am completely unbiased and completely right. You are completely wrong. Which is obviously true and it is obviously true you probably have never played any other game in your life....

HoN followed Dota more closely (you know where most moba players started from mostly)... with actual real features like observer modes and other stuff... with real tournaments... while LoL was a running joke for the first few years.

If LoL wasn't free and COMPLETELY casual..... HoN would have DESTROYED LoL and you guys would be like 'League of Legends... wtf is that game'.

Let's just say if you took League of Legends characters and put them in HoN's model (buy to play).... no one would be playing LoL right now.

And this is from a COMPLETELY unbiased player that doesn't play those other ones...
---
#26BarrenitePosted 2/17/2013 2:32:58 PM
Barrenite posted...
OwlRammer posted...
LoL has nothing on Meepo, Rubick, Invoker, Broodmother, Morphling, and so many other heroes from DotA.

Except real names.

lol

The fact that you care about names over actual gameplay makes me sad for the future of video games.

except that could very well be an important part of the immersion for someone playing a game

Keeper of the Light isn't a name that connects nearly as much with someone as Ezreal or Diana does

the fact that you care abouthaving more archaic and unimportant mechanics over actual accessible and gameplay that is able to reach a wide audience while still having a niche for skilled play makes me sad for the futu-

oh wait it doesn't make me sad for the future of video games because LoL is significantly more succesful than Dota 2. Never mind guys, future is in good hands.

you want every game to baby you?

whatever happened to a real challenge, striving to beat that last level on extreme difficulty or master this character? everyone wants simple games these days, nobody wants a challenge and everyone wants to feel special. HAY GUYS I GAWT ACHIEVEMENT IM BEST PLAYER!!!1

Man up and try to play a game that actually challenges your intellect, you know, a game with those silly "unimportant" and "archaic" mechanics that actually allow the game to flourish in a technical level that league cannot match. A level that allows for legitimate counterplay in a wartime scenario, with juking, lane control, and legitimate map control.

League has no counterplay, there is nothing that you can do to efficiently outplay the enemy. It's all "stack health/arpen and u win l0L0lawlawll" because of the simplicity of the game. You can't outsmart the opponent at the level that DotA allows you to and denying that shows your incredible ignorance.

Tedium and clutter does not equate to a "real challenge"

I love challenges, and I love difficulty. But not when the difficulty is artificially created by adding senseless mechanics that are relics of a bygone era.

Dota 2 does not "challenge the intellect" of anyone. Are you seriously going to try and pull that on me nubz? Maybe if you consider testing your memory retention "challenging ones intellect."

At their cores Dota 2 and League of Legends are equally difficult. Anyone who says otherwise has deluded themselves. Their difficulty is NOT placed on their mechanics. It is placed on how you as a player react to and handle the situations thrown at you by the players on the other team as well as on your own. Dota 2 and LoL have this in equal amounts. Yes, you need to remember more in Dota 2. That doesn't make it harder so get your head out of your ass.

The reason people who come from LoL might not be as good at Dota 2 as they are at LoL is not because the game is any harder at all but merely because they now have a new set of things that they need to learn and memorize to be effective.

Here is where the Dota folk whine about LoL casualizing. The champions all have noticeable skills that are easy to thematically place with that character and even predict what that character may do just by seeing it for a short amount of time. This is what makes LoL easier to get into than Dota 2, not oh hey we have less mechanics teehee. No, they have different mechanics not less. So don't give me your **** about a "real challenge" when the challenge of both games is the same. League of Legends just eases you into it better.
---
Official president of the free world
#27zazz9Posted 2/17/2013 2:36:44 PM
Sid_Icarus posted...
Which is why you are entirely unaware of how much of an unbalanced mess HoN was and how terrible it's developers were. They outright instuled players on forums, refused to fix game breaking bugs for months, and at one point, one of them banned a player, everyone in his clan, and everyone on his friends list because he got in an argument with him

I am unaware of that... but it's not like Riots record is spot free either buddy. You see any of those tournaments Riot had at the beginning.
---
#28silent_loudPosted 2/17/2013 2:36:53 PM
lol no, the reason why and I cant state this enough is how ingenious Riot was with the whole, Summoner level, masteries and runes! What a great concept! While I am sure Dota 2 and HoN may be better for veteran and/or original Dota players, for new players or people who play MMOs, having that "carrot on a stick" is what makes people keep coming back! It isnt just, oh I played this game and then that was it. It was moreso, oh I won this game, won some points AND I got some XP! That makes me want to play one more game until I hit level 2 or 3 and soon, it goes on and on and on until they are level 30 and playing ranked!
#29mrmonstrPosted 2/17/2013 2:42:12 PM
I agree with TC.
When I tryed LoL, I first picked Yi because he looked sick in my opinion (I hated his gameplay though :D ), even just in that free-to-play there were a few I thought were interesting.

In Dota 2, I went into a bot match, scrolled through all characters and none of them caught my eye, I asked in chat, who is a good noob character, got blanked. Ended up picking some fat weather guy.

It's an opinion but I think it is a wider shared opinion that LoL has better characters.
---
LoL: mrmonstr
#30Try_Harder_NubzPosted 2/17/2013 2:42:24 PM
How is anything that DotA offers a relic of a bygone era? It adds so much to the game that makes it infinitely better than League on all levels, and just because you dislike it doesn't mean you can label them as unimportant.

Also, while the games are essentially the same at the core, DotA does challenge your intellect. Tell me that you've mastered the ability to control all 5 Meepos at the same time. Or be able to use the perfect spell with Invoker while juking into trees and using item actives all throughout.

What can you do in League? Flash away. Flash if you're in trouble because it babies you through making mistakes. Blink Dagger punishes you for getting into trouble, Flash doesn't, and it's on a low enough cooldown. You cannot argue that DotA is not a harder game than League, because it damn well is. In League you autoattack, cast spells and use brush. In DotA you use item actives that maneuver you, abilities that allow for counterplay, you use height differences on the map, use trees for vision juking, and so much more. Sure, League has a couple cool abilities that allow for a bit of counterplay, but everything is so useless in the game that it really isn't as tactical as DotA.

You can continue arguing that DotA is archaic but the simple fact is that old =/= bad, and you're being ignorant for disagreeing with that. Denial allows for an entirely new game based around double the strategy, pulling/stacking lane creeps lets you control the map even further. Denial of towers causes for intricate teamfights revolving around denying the enemy team an extra 500 gold, and there are so many more amazing things that the game lets you do with denial that I won't even have space to cover it.

Not to mention micro ability allows for a much more diverse hero pool with more capabilities than league can handle, as well as offering illusion juking and increased farming rates when the heroes are used at their maximum level.

The game is much better but you take everything I say with a grain of salt due to inherent fanboyism and the simple fact that you can't admit you're wrong.
---
LoL/XBL/Steam/Everything: TryHarderNubz
http://i.imgur.com/fsLxu.jpg http://i.imgur.com/vpLI030.jpg