The reason LoL is the most popular MOBA is because of its Champions.

#81MMaestroPosted 2/17/2013 8:21:28 PM
rvsoldier posted...
shadyelf posted...
There's just tons of stupid weird stuff in Dota. One is spell immunity where you just have to memorize how it works because it seems like many abilities just go through it. Other strange things like how to get rid of tower aggro (attack your own creep, huh?), turn speed (game might be balanced around it but I don't get the point, if WC3 didn't have it Dota wouldn't have it), strange delay,

Ultimately if a game isn't pleasant to play people won't play it. If Dota had been introduced just now it would have failed for sure. I'd play Dota 2 enough to get high mmr but then I'd probably head back to League because of bad memories from WC3 days and it's just a pain in the ass to play.

War3 had the ability to attack your own units/denying and turn speeds on most units. Its a product of the game the mod was built on. Had Dota not had either of those things, it'd STILL be just as popular and people would still rave about how much better Dota is than LoL. It's just preference.

And most (casual) gamers would simply look at Dota fans and ask "wtf are they on?"

Dota is popular but it never was and never will be as popular as LoL. The vocal level of the fans is not an end-all measurement of popularity.
#82HulkkisPosted 2/17/2013 8:23:28 PM
The reason lol is popular is because it is easy to be good at and most of the worlds modern gamers love everything easy.
Also sex sells.
---
"South-Korea is the only nation whose national sport has a sequel."
-Disc
#83Delano7Posted 2/17/2013 8:23:44 PM
Dartkun posted...
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111017161516/guilty-gear/images/8/85/Bridget.png

And I thought LoL champs were hot. o.O

I'd main her if ya know wut im sayin xP
#84mantana888Posted 2/17/2013 8:32:47 PM
http://www.dota2.com/hero/Kunkka/

http://www.dota2.com/hero/Troll_Warlord/

http://www.dota2.com/hero/Doom_Bringer/

I don't agree with TC, I personally think that Dota's heroes are a lot more interesting than LoL's champions.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
g-cube's Vice President of Cakes.
#85TheshamenPosted 2/17/2013 8:35:39 PM
ITS FREE

thats why lol is popular

ITS FREE

hey friend we're all playing lol do you want to play?

No sorry I don't have it

Download it! It's free

Free you say? Alright then

And thats how lol got ALL of its players
---
I will not change this sig until Alterac Valley is reverted pre-BC http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969937114
12/21/08
#86DoodlesnootPosted 2/17/2013 8:56:17 PM
Theshamen posted...
ITS FREE

thats why lol is popular

ITS FREE

hey friend we're all playing lol do you want to play?

No sorry I don't have it

Download it! It's free

Free you say? Alright then

And thats how lol got ALL of its players

finally a voice of reason!
#87SexualPizzaPosted 2/17/2013 11:15:49 PM
This topic is butt
---
Best thing in life: Sex
Second best thing in life: Pizza
#88CosmosYearsPosted 2/17/2013 11:42:29 PM
Damn, Nubz got major stick up his ass.

What's the problem.
---
Number of people who have said, "Listen to Cosmos": 33
LOL IGN: Aladair
#89The-World-Seven(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 12:25:15 AM
Of course being free and not needing a Steam account to play it are big factors, but the reason casual gamers picked this game up is because the characters as a whole have more appeal to them.

Don't forget that casual gamers are what made this game huge. Once you remember that, you'd realize why there isn't much reason to go into the game play. Simply, not much is required to keep a casual gamer happy.

I'm not talking about a 'matter of opinion' either; it's not about what you might like specifically, it's about what the most number of people will respond to. The LoL roster started with enough room for that to happen, and other games did not. What prompted me to post this was seeing that newer games trying to get into the MOBA scene haven't grasped this (except China's 300 Heroes game, but they apparently decided it was a good idea to include babies and old people in their target audience lolololol).
---
My Hubris is bigger than yours.
NA - TheWorld7 & Tragedy Baby // PBE - Je Suis
#90magnusblitzPosted 2/18/2013 12:47:30 AM
I don't think the champions are the only reason LoL is popular, and probably not even the most important one, but it is a factor. A big aspect of what makes a game attractive is that the player enjoys the role they are playing - there's often a sense of wish fulfillment. People enjoy playing characters that are similar to things they think are cool or would like to be (which is why so many FPS's have generic muscley white dudes).

This game hits a lot of the easy tropes. Wanna be a viking? League has that. Ninja? Sure. Pirate? Got that. Armored bear? You betcha. There's ugly monster types like Trundle and "cutesy" characters like Annie or Teemo. And of course, lots of over-sexed, big-chested women. It's pretty easy to find a character that looks fun from the get-go.