The reason LoL is the most popular MOBA is because of its Champions.

#91DarkLagunaPosted 2/18/2013 12:43:45 AM
It's funny, I see this argument a lot in games with similar genres (or even in sequels to games). people complaining that it was made to cater to casuals, or they dumbed it down, or a number of other similar insults.

But more isn't always better, even for game mechanics. If DOTA 2 had even more mechanics, like, say having to alternate pressing two buttons to walk, one for each foot, and turning required tapping just one of those buttons, would that make it more in-depth? More difficult? less casualized? What if you had to buy food and water for your heroes? What if they went all SIMS on you and you had to return to base once in a while to use the john, or sleep? Would those mechanics make it more difficult? Less casual?

Probably, but they'd be pretty lame, and not fun at all. League of Legends might be 'easier' because it doesn't have extra mechanics that take away from the core of the gameplay, what a MOBA is really about, but in most people's opinion, it's more fun. It's much more successful. It has a much larger esport following.

What's more important, then? Artificial difficulty? Tons of extra mechanics that take away from the real gameplay? Or fun?
---
I feel a draft on my butt...
#92StupidMofozPosted 2/18/2013 1:05:36 AM(edited)
Uh no...

These champions are so unforgettable and lack personality. Some only have only under 10 things they say.

A blind monk? Can you get any more generic? It's like a western company that's trying to be anime but failing.

Also that and morello is afraid to make a "niche" champion. Those are the kind of things that attract more players as well. Though the majority like generic designs.

This game lacks personality because of how afraid the lead designer is.
#93tylercheethamPosted 2/18/2013 1:05:05 AM
LoL is the most popular moba because its the only one that has made an attempt to streamline the genre so the learning cliff isn't the size of mount everest.
#94DeadpooL7Posted 2/18/2013 1:25:41 AM
The only reason you think its champions are so great is you play it all the time so they grow on you. Thats not a real reason.

Its like Street Fighter, I love the characters and think they have tons of personality... cause ive been exposed to them so long. If you never heard of the game they would seem generic and boring probably.
#95_equivocal_Posted 2/18/2013 1:48:39 AM
I think its funny that people argue thus about LoL and DotA... If you sit a gamer who has never played a moba before in front of one or the other, its going to take them a while to get used to either. It is also going to take them a while to get to a place where their skill plateaus. If you did a clinical study, I imagine that time difference would be insignificant. People who think the average gamer can not play DotA have a misconception of what the average gamer is capable of and over inflated view of their own skills imo. Ninja Gaiden was hard, A LOT gamers still beat it.
#96lvl99linkPosted 2/18/2013 1:48:47 AM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111017161516/guilty-gear/images/8/85/Bridget.png

At first I thought the bow on the front of his outfit was made of hair.

I wouldn't look too carefully at that character if I were you. Take it at face value and walk away.

I think Sleeping knows enough about GG.
---
http://i.imgur.com/fkHBW.gif
#97The-World-Seven(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 3:39:13 AM(edited)
Well what I've been trying to get across is that LoL didn't limit themselves to some nerdy theme of elves, demons, undead, warlocks, etc. They simply have champions that non-nerdy people would actually have fun playing; champions that simply don't / can't fit sensibly into the worlds of other games.

Riot found a way to make a huge variety of characters that appeal to a massive audience fit in a world together, and that's what's missing from every other MOBA out right now.

Any of those other MOBAs could have been free and easy to access, but they still wouldn't have been successful because their rosters aren't as varied. They just don't appeal to as many people as LoL.
---
My Hubris is bigger than yours.
NA - TheWorld7 & Tragedy Baby // PBE - Je Suis
#98redd530Posted 2/18/2013 3:34:05 AM
wind64a posted...
redd530 posted...
wind64a posted...
Different people have different tasts, that doens't neccesarily mean one of them has to be wrong.

You must be new here.

I've been on Gamefaqs for a while. I just harbor a tiny hope that eventually People will learn to have a civil discussion, sadly it does not seem like this will happen any time in the near future.

Oh. If I were you, I'd sit back and enjoy the show.

Want some popcorn?
#99The-World-Seven(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 3:44:52 AM
This topic is not about 'Which game is better'; it's about 'Why one is more popular than the rest'.

Try thinking about the reason from a perspective other than that of a gamer.
---
My Hubris is bigger than yours.
NA - TheWorld7 & Tragedy Baby // PBE - Je Suis
#100PirahnoPlantmanPosted 2/18/2013 4:11:53 AM
I dunno I find myself wanting to play a lot of DotA 2 heroes more than LoL champions. Like Shadow Demon for example. http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/d/de/ShadowDemon_concept.jpg

He was so lore OP at one point that other demons tried to destroy him.
---
XanderKage: "F2P is a fate worse than death"