This new player is so confused

#1matthew2395Posted 2/20/2013 6:36:35 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to LoL (although I have played a rather decent amount of time on Dota 2) and they're both fun. This isn't a topic about why one game is better than the other.

I played 5 matches. I found that Garen pwns (went 8-1-1 and then 5-0-2, although for the latter game I lagged out for the last 10 minutes). Unfortunately, when I tried another game, someone took Garen instantly, so I had to use someone else. I chose the drunk guy. WTF is this guy supposed to do? He is so much weaker than Garen in every single way (minus the fact that he has ranged attacks, not that they are any good)). What is he supposed to be used for??? Also, what characters are similar to Garen? I like him, but obviously a lot of others do too.

And would you guys say that the champions are balanced well? I haven't played enough to know.
---
Super Mario 64 > Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2
#2matthew2395(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 6:41:53 PM
Sorry for double posting, but I realized that I left out some details. I was never in a team fight, as there were two mids early game who complained for the spot, and one just dced. This left me as solo top. Both of the bottoms dced a bit later while they failed they;re lane.

Nothing happened in my lane. No towers a'sploded, and I died once in lane and a second time trying to save the thingie that you have to explode to win (why did I bother) no kills and no assists.
---
#3GuitarHero171Posted 2/20/2013 6:41:59 PM
I believe you're talking about Gragas. He's supposed to be built as a tanky mage that uses his Q to harass the enemy. He's not the easiest champ to start out with. I would recommend trying out Shen. Dude's a full-on tank that can teleport to team-mates across the map with his ultimate to save them in a tight spot.
---
Official Grouch of the Green Day: Rock Band board
#4Paranoia2mbPosted 2/20/2013 6:47:01 PM
GuitarHero171 posted...
I believe you're talking about Gragas. He's supposed to be built as a tanky mage that uses his Q to harass the enemy. He's not the easiest champ to start out with. I would recommend trying out Shen. Dude's a full-on tank that can teleport to team-mates across the map with his ultimate to save them in a tight spot.

I would advise against that or else he would have to endure the "OMG SHEN WHY DIDNT YOU SAVE ME" comments.
#5Shadow EdgePosted 2/20/2013 6:48:42 PM(edited)
Gragas is a poke mage.

Darius is probably closest to Garen.

---
ns
#6FandomOfRandomPosted 2/20/2013 6:49:26 PM
LOL BEST TOPIC/10
---
Congratulations! You just lost the game!
www.losethegame.com
#7DeadpooL7Posted 2/20/2013 6:52:33 PM
Try Ashe, just take 21/9/0 masteries with full ad runes and steal enemy jungler buff with your passive critical strikes. then go to mid lane and kill the enemy mid with a volley and crit auto attacks followed by ignite for first blood. Then you'll be better than everyone else.
#8zeppelin312Posted 2/20/2013 7:27:46 PM(edited)
Darius is relatively close to garen in terms of how he plays, not exactly mind you.

Gragas isn't a super simple champion to use, and he doesn't do the same things garen does. Garen is an ad caster that transitions into a heavy bruiser/off tank, he runs around and spins(also more of an early game champ), Gragas is an ap caster that focuses on poke, waveclear, and team displacement.

I feel I should say, get free trist and Ali for liking Riot's youtube.facebook
play free week champions till 20
at 20 buy tier 3 runes and potentially a few champs you know you like.

I wouldn't suggest blowing ip just to try and play somebody like garen, expand yourself
#9EphidelPosted 2/20/2013 7:00:23 PM
Once you have at least 450 influence points (which is not a whole lot in the long run), I recommend going into the champion shop and buying Ryze. He is an excellent champion and a good way for a new player to learn the game.

Also, I am curious about your signature. Are you just rating those games relative to each other, or do you have a problem with Galaxy? Because I think both 64 and the Galaxy games are fantastic in their own ways.
---
The time is out of joint. O cursed spite, that ever I was born to set it right!
http://i.imgur.com/pyvQmyz.gif
#10matthew2395(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 8:06:55 PM
Hmm... Gragus still seems less useful to me than someone who can actually kill a champion, but perhaps that is because I'm competing in such low levels of play. Thank you for informing me about the free heroes :)

Also, the signiture is simply saying that I had a lot more fun playing Super Mario 64 than the Galaxies. For one, the Galaxy games felt very linear, where you would pick a star and pass a series of obstacles that appeared for that specific star. The launching-star-pad-things made the courses feel even more linear. Super Mario 64, on the other hand, gave you an open world every time with occasional limitations and additions, but many stars could be done out of order, and it felt more like a world than an obstacle course. I also prefered the more complex jumping and combat (punches, dives, break-dance attack).
---