Extremely new to the game and I want to play Master Yi. Tips/advice?

#1ProdigalDragonPosted 2/22/2013 6:53:08 AM
One of my best friends (lvl 25) and his pals (lvl 30) suggested him so i've been with him pretty much ever since. I'm level 6 now I think.

I've only done bot matches. I usually do pretty mediocre, being reckless and going even. Or maybe even plus a few.

But the last game we played last night was against intermediate bots. I was destroyed completely and utterly.

This brings me here. Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
---
The Prodigal Dragon
#2_SNAGRAT_LIEPosted 2/22/2013 7:02:05 AM
go mid and build ability power
---
Friendly reminder to get karma on your alts
#3vladymanPosted 2/22/2013 7:04:52 AM(edited)
Don't play Yi. He is difficult for a beginner (you need to know exactly when to go in/out of fights), plus he is squishy, plus splitpushing is not really beginner-friendly.

If you really want an easy "right click-pentakill" champion than go for Tryndamere. He is only viable at very low elo anyway.
#4BlackSparrow14Posted 2/22/2013 7:05:49 AM
Stop playing bots and start PvPing. Playing with bots is gonna give you terrible habits since real people aren't as stupid.

Also, master yi generally isn't considered viable in higher levels of play, but since you're new you can play him just to understand the game's mechanics. A tip I can give you that most newbies neglect is to remember that CS is vital in this game so start practicing how to last hit properly.

Try playing some of the free week champs and find a playstyle that you enjoy most. When you've saved up some IP you can buy a new champ that best fits your style. Generally, lvl 30 matches consist of solo top, ap mid, jungler, adc bot, and support bot. Do a bit of research to understand what each role does and see what you like.

Lastly, don't go too crazy buying champs. You'll need to save some IP to buy runes later on.
#5GusPlusPosted 2/22/2013 7:10:01 AM
There are some old Yi guides online, but they're still helpful especially for new players. I'm new myself, less than two weeks, and Yi is my main guy. I build for attack damage, attack speed, critical hit chance, and a little lifesteal. Throw a phage in there at some point for a little more durability, learn to be more cautious, and try to peel enemies away from the group and pick them off in 1-on-1 situations. Don't wade into the middle of a huge team fight unless the enemies have all just been stunned and your comrades are wailing away. Then, pick ONE target to focus on, kill, re-evaluate, and either leave or pick next target.

Finally, when chasing very wounded targets, learn to know when you can get the kill and get away from the Tower or when you're going to just end up getting executed by the tower. Even if you force the enemy to retreat to his base, that's still a victory even if you don't get the kill.

Hope this helps.
#6ProdigalDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 7:53:33 AM(edited)
go mid and build ability power

The level 30s I know all suggested AP. so I tried AP yesterday for a couple matches and got wrecked. But I'm starting to get a feel for the main differences and what I'm shooting for with this build.

Don't play Yi. He is difficult for a beginner (you need to know exactly when to go in/out of fights), plus he is squishy, plus splitpushing is not really beginner-friendly.

Yeah, I noticed. The guy is quite squishy. Seems high risk high reward. And I like that. I don't mind climbing a steep learning curve. Kinda stubborn that way. Going to read up on splitpushing... lol

Stop playing bots and start PvPing. Playing with bots is gonna give you terrible habits since real people aren't as stupid.
Try playing some of the free week champs and find a playstyle that you enjoy most.

Noted. and Noted. I plan on playing PvP today when I find some time. The bots gave me a general understanding of the game. And playing on intermediate gave me a nice hard look at my own limitations. Also, I will play other characters and I'm sure there will be plenty I like but I will master Yi (couldn't help myself).

There are some old Yi guides online

I'm all over it. I plan to read at least a couple before playing another.
---
The Prodigal Dragon
#7EqualismPosted 2/22/2013 8:03:48 AM
Master Yi is a pretty bad champion tbh. Just try champions you think are cool or whatever and find some you like. Once you get good you will pretty much be able to play any champion decently effectively.

A lot of getting good just requires practice. There are 110 champs, and knowing what your enemy can do is extremely helpful. Another big thing is knowing when to go in and when to stay out. Using stuns, slows, snares, etc and harassing is a really safe way to get some damage out,
---
http://i.imgur.com/QEdEj.jpg
#8xMrShadowPosted 2/22/2013 9:13:31 AM
Find yourself close to death? Stand still right I front of their faces and W.
---
3DS Friend Code - 4811-6938-3649 Pkmn Black 2 2452-2591-2605 NID - Mr.Shadow
PSN/XBL - xMrShadowZ
#9centurion911Posted 2/22/2013 9:20:23 AM
Don't just play 1 champ, you'll get pidgeon holed into that champ and it creates problems once you figure out who goes in which lane.

Play PvP. You'll get CRUSHED for a while but its better that this happens now. If you delay it, your opponents will have more experience and will make the learning process that much harder.

Don't be afraid to learn from someone, and don't ever get cocky. Even at 200 total wins I was still learning a LOT
---
"Whats the penalty for dodging in ranked?"
"Phreak comes to your house and punches your screen."
#10KlobziPosted 2/22/2013 9:21:26 AM
Yi isn't high risk, high reward at all. All you do is press R > E > Q and when close to death W. He's just a braindead melee carry.

I suggest trying other 450 IP champs. Try mages. They are usually high risk, high reward.