How do you actually carry a team?

#1Waffle_RofflePosted 2/22/2013 7:01:41 AM
Hi, I have just started to play ranked recently and from what I understand there are a mesh of inexperienced players at the range I am at (Silver III currently). After playing 400 normal games, I feel like trying my hand at real competition. I am still learning things too.

I would actually want to be the one who actually carries a team as is mentioned on this board. How do I do so?

A list of problems I have...

-How do I deal with an inexperienced player who feeds constantly?

-Do I give people advice if they make a mistake? If so, how do I do so without them raging? And if they do rage, how can I quell the situation?

-Should I just play my favorite characters (if I am not jungling, my main role) that I do best with or should I try to follow the meta and abide by standard team compositions?

-What should I do if I am forced to play support? I strongly feel bot lane does not have very much influence in games.

-Is every game truly just not winnable?

Oh, by the way, I play jungler and love to Jungle Vi/Nocturne/Jax. I follow and watch professional junglers all the time so I would like to know that I am at least doing some things right (I do understand there is room for improvement and I do learn from my mistakes).
#2BlueJonelethPosted 2/22/2013 7:09:45 AM

Give them friendly advice, never insult them or they'll feed more.

-Should I just play my favorite characters (if I am not jungling, my main role) that I do best with or should I try to follow the meta and abide by standard team compositions?

Try to learn a couple of champs for each role.

-What should I do if I am forced to play support? I strongly feel bot lane does not have very much influence in games.

Feed your adc, a fed adc is a terror late game.
---
By refusing to kill your enemy, you'll endanger all the people he'll meet after you. - Gemini no Kanon -
#3EcchiBakaPosted 2/22/2013 7:12:21 AM
Waffle_Roffle posted...

In most cases, you simply cannot. There's not a "soft" way of saying stop feeding without most players generally blowing a fuse and just leaving spawn to feed more. They won't be worth much money if they feed excessively so use him as bait :D

-Do I give people advice if they make a mistake? If so, how do I do so without them raging? And if they do rage, how can I quell the situation?

You can give advice, but it's up to them whether or not to take it, good advice or not. If you're waiting to give them advice after they've fed, they'll probably rage more. The best way to put out the rage is to leave it alone.

Play who you're best at. It's gonna be real hard to carry playing champs you don't know to a certain extent because you were following the meta. Note that you can't carry most games depending on team comp anyway.

I don't know how to respond to this one because I don't play bot lane often and when I do, I'm being lazy. I wouldn't say that bot lane has little influence though.

To a degree, yes. Every game is not winnable.
---
LoL: Ecchi Baka/TheGreatestBaka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2TZhhHOlTA)
Currently reading: Freezing, To-Love-Ru, and a lot of other titles
#4BoogyyPosted 2/22/2013 9:55:20 AM
"-How do I deal with an inexperienced player who feeds constantly?"

f they're feeding, the last thing you want to do is call them out on it. Everyone feeds, or has a game where they feed, it happens. Frustrating them further will only make them play worse. When the enemy team is fed, you have to play safe, ward, and make good calls (which takes practice too). You have to hope for throws, and take advantage of every single scrap you get, because it will add up, and there may be game momentum changing moments.

The community is generally negative, or players are playing on some kind of tilt (no one likes losing). If you find it necessary to give advice, say as a jungler about baiting or whatnot, make sure you actually state it in a way where you're not being insulting or elitist. Saying "Hey, next time, do X and we can get the kill, just in case it happens again." instead of "do this so we can get the kill ffs"

Healthy communication breeds healthy responses. If they begin to rage, or took the text in the wrong context, youre best off not arguing, because they will argue back. At most I apologize, and say "hand on your mouse, not both on the keyboards, let's focus now"

When it comes to climbing elo and picks consider these things:
What am I good at?

If you're an amazing Leona, and their team consist of 5 AD, and you feel like Taric is the better choice, but have 0 experience with Taric. Pick Leona. Why? Sure Taric will add more presence in team fights ON PAPER but YOU don't. That, and you probably feel more comfortable with Leona in lane.

This applies for mid and top. You don't need to pick Orianna to chain ult with Jarvan, if you're an amazing Leblanc player.

Generally, the meta is a meta for a reason. You don't want to break it because you want to play support Teemo. However I sometimes see support Fiddles, etc, and I have no problem with it. if it's viable, and it works, it will work in your elo.

It does, support and jungle roles are the least common picks. If you understood support intricacies (brush control, etc) and Jungle intricacies (coutner ganking, timers, Cjungling, map awareness) you have a huge advantage over someone inexperienced that "played support because im last pick".

Sure, in this Meta, Bruisers are the thing, but if you win your lane hard and feed your carry, or simple zone the carry out of their farm, you have a huge direct influence. Why? Because it makes Bruiser jobs THAT much easier by taking out someone's role from the enemy team.

No. Some games will be 20-2, at your inhibitors or nexus towers by 15 minutes in. Some times you'll have someone leave at 5 minutes into the game, or intentionally feed.

Does this mean you hit that /ff button and type in misery? No. Play, play, and play until you see your nexus tower explode. You don't know what's happening in communication with the enemy team, your team comp may surpass them at X-minutes from farming, the enemy team may decide to start raging and feeding or DCing. Keep playing, and keep the morale up, and you'll see more often that games that look impossible can turn around. If they don't, shrug it off, and don't let it tilt you for the next game.

You'll always learn from the pros, but some of the thigns they do may not always apply to your ELO.
---
Flowers are really unbalance
#5MTRDrunkardPosted 2/22/2013 10:39:06 AM
Carry the team is a bad term for any team game. It suggest that you are great and the rest of the team is poor.

A good team carries each other.

A support is rarely going to lead in kills, but could have a lot of assist. A team with a good support and AD usually win.

Also a jungler is as only as good as your team. If you team is always pushing lanes hard, they are not creating oppurtunies for you to gank, but getting ganked themselves. or when you gank, they dont react to assist you.

As for feeding, we all can die, even the professionals. Problem is learning from that and not keep on dying and to the same enemy champion. Nothing worse during early game, playing your lane or jungle and keep hearing 'allied champion been slane' and seeing the same 2 pictures flash on screen.