What makes an item a support item?

#1GoldenFantasyPosted 2/22/2013 12:30:51 PM
I'm specifically referring to Twin Shadows. I was playing TF against Panth mid and I built Twin Shadows. Everyone was like wtf TF and I didn't try to defend myself because lol Bronze players.

I also built Zhonyas because I kept getting dived and hoped that it would protect me for a bit. I was going to get LB and Rabadon but the game ended by the time I got Sheen.

Should I have just got a couple doran rings and rushed the above items instead of counter building?
---
Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants.
I don't see many ice giants around. - ff12and3rocks
#2Alakazam_fanPosted 2/22/2013 12:31:53 PM
Most cases involve auras or gold per 10
---
He asked if it was possible for a male human to have a sex with a female horse. He even drew a diagram; I think a stepladder was involved.
#3Hyper InfernoPosted 2/22/2013 12:38:13 PM
Support items are typically ones where a large part of the item benefits your team as a whole instead of yourself.

That's not to say only supports should get support items. Runic Bulwark is an amazing item that's bought on non-supports all the time. Same with Locket of the Iron Solari.

Some are more useful if you're not getting constantly CC'd, like Mikael's Crucible.
---
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
-Adam Savage, The Mythbusters
#4kaysa13Posted 2/22/2013 12:41:49 PM
Team-oriented utility. Shurelya's Reverie comes to mind with that. Sometimes, it also involves aura, so Runic Bulwark is also there. And when you're support, most of the time, you'd want defensive utility in your arsenal, so Locket of Iron Solari is also up there.

On an added note, Twin shadows may be a support item, but it's also a good pick-up for AP roamers.
---
This is a signature.
#5SmishhhPosted 2/22/2013 1:19:30 PM
Twin Shadow is supportish since first it builds out of a gp10 item, but also because it doesn't matter who uses it. Its active helps either you or anyone else on the team equally well, so it would be more efficient to have someone else use it for you while you concentrate on actives specifically for yourself like Zhonya's or DFG.

But that's just the optimal situation, since support can afford to build items that other people want use out of they usually do so. But if your support didn't bother picking it up and you feel it would really be worth having moreso than just more damage, then go ahead and get it. If it secures you kills or saves you wouldn't have got otherwise then it was worth it and you can ignore people's complaints about your build. If a build works, then that's all that matters.
#6centurion911Posted 2/22/2013 1:22:28 PM
It does things for other people, not just yourself
---
"Whats the penalty for dodging in ranked?"
"Phreak comes to your house and punches your screen."
#7Reaper_MinionPosted 2/22/2013 1:55:28 PM(edited)
Any item that will help your team win by giving them buffs or debuffing the enemy while at the same time offering good stats for your own champion is a support item. Rylai's is actually a good item on support Zyra despite not being a standard support item because it gives her extra utility while synergizing with her kit at the same time. Same deal with Frozen Heart and Randuin's on tanky supports that get into the thick of things.

To contrast, support items are not automatically bad on non-supports.Twin Shadows is a good situational pick up on Twisted Fate. Aegis is good on pretty much every bruiser and tank.
---
/|\ http://i48.tinypic.com/2pzcsv7.jpg
\|/ http://i50.tinypic.com/21l3f3s.jpg
#8GoldenFantasy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 3:56:37 PM
Thanks for the responses
---
Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants.
I don't see many ice giants around. - ff12and3rocks
#9myg0t_stkPosted 2/22/2013 4:12:59 PM
utility is the key word
---
ezreal is my waifu