Just started playing again, few questions about the meta

#1BlackScythe0Posted 2/24/2013 12:46:41 PM
So I've played on and off since beta. First I was tired of Jax winning 1v5 fights then it was the match making system constantly pitting me against level 30's when I was level 10... but after spending a year or so doing bot matches on and off I hit level 30 and decided the match making system would probably be "less" broken.

Now I did know some things but after actually looking into the meta I was astounded. It seems so set in stone compared to DOTA. I don't remember ever fighting tooth or nail for a "position" or getting flamed and harassed whenever I chose a champ I felt like playing.

Now I mostly play the tanky damage, volibear and wukong as examples, and it seems the only place to play those is top lane which is almost instantly called and even the few times I've called first I've had people threaten me to troll if they didn't get it. Last match a vlad suicided on a tower when I said "I called top and now I've got mid?" didn't even try to kick him out of the lane.

I got bullied into jungling one match so I grabbed Hecarim and was like 2 levels behind everyone else for most of the lane phase after which I fell further behind, ended up getting "invaded" (I think that is the correct term for it) by the enemy Trynd jungle and fell further behind. Did I just choose the wrong champion for a beginner jungler or was I severely outplayed?

Middle seems to be AP champions, I think anyways, which I'm terrible with and thankfully have never had anyone try to push me into it because I honestly don't really own any.

Bottom seems to be the AD ranged carry with a support character. So the ranged carry is just supposed to focus on last hitting creeps and avoid getting ganked from jungle? And the support does nothing but ward?

I don't see how this "meta" got forced on every match it seems pretty terrible. Why aren't people allowed to play what they enjoy? Do I even have a proper understanding of the meta?
#2RyokoWinsPosted 2/24/2013 12:52:45 PM
You seem to have a decent understanding, though AD mid has become more popular, so keep that in mind. Also, tanky AD works just fine in the jungle. Wukong and Volibear are good junglers.
---
I am whoever I need to be.
#3BlackScythe0(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 4:05:33 PM
Is it bad that I was hoping I didn't have a general understanding of the meta?
#4aHappySackaPosted 2/24/2013 4:09:08 PM(edited)
The meta is the way it is just because of the map and the neutral monsters particularity the dragon, however coming from Season 2 the mid lane is more open to AD casters now as well.
---
Kitty Kat --> /\_/\
.................=(^_^)=
#5BlackScythe0(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 4:13:47 PM
When you say "ad caster" that makes me think Pantheon, is that correct?
#6aHappySackaPosted 2/24/2013 4:16:26 PM(edited)
BlackScythe0 posted...
When you say "ad caster" that makes me think Pantheon, is that correct?

You're 100% right about that, however it's possible that some characters can also be classified as a bruiser which can sometimes be confusing but it's all in the way they are built regardless.
---
Kitty Kat --> /\_/\
.................=(^_^)=
#7RynnTheDarkPosted 2/24/2013 4:32:54 PM
A good mid can also be someone (AD or whatever) that can shut down other more standard AP picks. Talon is awesome with his silence and burst. Wukong was really good at it at one point as well ( I had success at least). Honestly though, other than that, its kinda up to the jungler to make the game more...varied.
---
SteamID: A$$hole of the Sun
PSN: Junkyard Fool