At what point should I be playing draft?

#11Z-911-ZPosted 2/24/2013 6:25:28 PM
There are those fun times in normals, where you and a random do double bruiser bot and somehow win lane.
---
http://oi48.tinypic.com/ev7vir.jpg
#12Triikz(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 6:31:53 PM
DarkLaguna posted...
It depends, really. If you want to do draft, might as well just do ranked and work on your MMR and LP and such. Why play draft Normals? Normals is just practice/casual/fun/pubstomping/etc., might as well go blind pick and go with a champion you like without worrying about bans, counterpicks, the opposing team taking your favorite, etc. And you can even ignore the Meta, to a certain degree; a lot of teams run duo top, or kill lane bottom.

If you want to play "serious business", just go ranked. I don't really see the point of Draft Normals, unless you like getting stuck going support.,or like to argue about whether pick order or call order takes precedence, while someone with a higher pick order just ignores everyone and autolocks in what they want, and the rest of the team dodges.

Not level 30 quite yet. Almost there, but according to most you shouldnt jump right into ranked as soon as you hit 30, so I guess Im a ways off from ranked still.
---
I dont always argue with idiots. But when I do, I prefer Gamefaqs...
#13TwidgerPosted 2/24/2013 6:38:41 PM(edited)
aHappySacka posted...
You should at least be able to do 2 roles if you want to try draft, don't be "that guy".

Earlier today...

- First one to call a role, I call top since im last pick and can easily counter
- Someone else "Anything but support"
- He gets forced to play support
- "NONONO I cant play support"
- He picks gangplank top, gets hard countered by pantheon
#14B01tPosted 2/24/2013 6:50:02 PM
aHappySacka posted...
Triikz posted...
Sweet.

1 more question. Are people, genrally speaking, less nooby in draft? Or is it about the same as blind?

The general skill level is higher given how you can't instant lock whatever role you want and there's less trolls too, once I tried draft for the first time I've never gone back.

this has been my experience as well
---
Idealism is seeing potential. Pragmatism is seeing consequences.
#15DarkLagunaPosted 2/24/2013 6:54:14 PM
Triikz posted...
DarkLaguna posted...
It depends, really. If you want to do draft, might as well just do ranked and work on your MMR and LP and such. Why play draft Normals? Normals is just practice/casual/fun/pubstomping/etc., might as well go blind pick and go with a champion you like without worrying about bans, counterpicks, the opposing team taking your favorite, etc. And you can even ignore the Meta, to a certain degree; a lot of teams run duo top, or kill lane bottom.

If you want to play "serious business", just go ranked. I don't really see the point of Draft Normals, unless you like getting stuck going support.,or like to argue about whether pick order or call order takes precedence, while someone with a higher pick order just ignores everyone and autolocks in what they want, and the rest of the team dodges.

Not level 30 quite yet. Almost there, but according to most you shouldnt jump right into ranked as soon as you hit 30, so I guess Im a ways off from ranked still.

Yeah, a couple draft games to see how bans/draft pick works is fine, but it isn't any better practice for ranked than blind pick is. You can practice last-hitting, passive farming, harassing, etc. just as well in Blind pick (sometimes even better, if you're solo in a duo enemy lane), get to know your champions just as well, etc.

And I think people say to stay away from Ranked until you're "good" because of the illogical belief in "elo hell". If you jump right into ranked, you'll probably end up in bronze league, with the "bad" players. But you'll be playing against players just as bad as you have on your team, so if you're good, then logically you tip the scales in your team's favor. And you'll increase your MMR, making it that much easier to get to where you truly belong.

If you don't wanna play "seriously", then why mess with draft at all? If you play for fun, then again, why not blind pick? Less drama, less waiting for matches, less dodging, just as much practice. and you can pick whatever champion you want.

Maybe my opinion of fun differs from others, but I see draft as an amateur league (or "wood league", as the joke goes). It's for players who want to feel like a professional gamer without really being one. But I realize some people honestly have more fun doing draft, so whatever works for you...
---
I feel a draft on my butt...
#16Triikz(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 7:00:59 PM
DarkLaguna posted...
Triikz posted...
DarkLaguna posted...

Yeah, a couple draft games to see how bans/draft pick works is fine, but it isn't any better practice for ranked than blind pick is. You can practice last-hitting, passive farming, harassing, etc. just as well in Blind pick (sometimes even better, if you're solo in a duo enemy lane), get to know your champions just as well, etc.

And I think people say to stay away from Ranked until you're "good" because of the illogical belief in "elo hell". If you jump right into ranked, you'll probably end up in bronze league, with the "bad" players. But you'll be playing against players just as bad as you have on your team, so if you're good, then logically you tip the scales in your team's favor. And you'll increase your MMR, making it that much easier to get to where you truly belong.

If you don't wanna play "seriously", then why mess with draft at all? If you play for fun, then again, why not blind pick? Less drama, less waiting for matches, less dodging, just as much practice. and you can pick whatever champion you want.

Maybe my opinion of fun differs from others, but I see draft as an amateur league (or "wood league", as the joke goes). It's for players who want to feel like a professional gamer without really being one. But I realize some people honestly have more fun doing draft, so whatever works for you...

That makes sense. I am mostly interested in draft for practice for ranked, and the hope that draft is about more "serious" play. I do enjoy blind pick, however, it seems that I am constantly on the losing team no matter how good I do. Its just a bit aggravating.
---
I dont always argue with idiots. But when I do, I prefer Gamefaqs...
#17ikilledkenny2Posted 2/24/2013 7:15:42 PM
going into ranked the second you hit level 30 is perfectly fine, ranked players really aren't any better than normal players until you hit at least gold or something. I started ranked at like 220 wins and was put into silver 2, there really wasn't nearly as many trolls as you'd think based on people crying on message boards. Starting ranked would only be tough if you main blitz, amumu, shen, ect
#18shadyelfPosted 2/24/2013 7:24:22 PM
I just don't bother with draft unless I have to.

-new queue formula that takes wins into account: increased queue time from before
-accept/decline system: sometimes 2 declines before getting into a game
-queue dodging: sometimes happens right before the game is about to start, wastes your time and can mess up the team you worked stuff out with
-picking takes longer than blind of course

Just takes way too long to get a game going sometimes, and you aren't getting LP for it. So I wouldn't bother beyond a few games to get an idea.
---
?