The most common, most important failure of unskilled players:

#1fetchystickPosted 2/25/2013 6:03:28 AM
I see this in every MOBA. so don't act like it's specific to League. There are many things which set a skilled player apart from an unskilled one, such as map awareness and champion knowledge. But there is one flaw I see in so many beginner players: they play the game according to how it SHOULD be going, and not how it IS going.

If the wording confuses you, I'll explain it. That above statement means that players often don't adapt to the situation, and just play the same way every game. Two game of League are NEVER going to be the same, a fact that many League players disregard.

I'll give you two examples: The first is in bot lane, an injured Graves and an injured Leona are laning at their turret against an injured Varus and full-health taric at about 9:30. Graves and Leona know they cannot win a straight fight, and Leona is busy trying to recall. Graves spots an opening where a good E from Leona can catch varus away from taric, and then use their combos to finish off Varus. Graves pings, and quickdraws in to smack varus with a buckshot. Leona, however, does not pick up on it and finishes recalling, meanwhile Graves gets caught and dies. Yes, Leona should have picked up on the opportunity, but the fault is also partly Graves'. He played as if Leona was there picking up his combo, even though she clearly wasn't, and then he died.

In another example: The enemy Mid lane gets fed. Laning phase ended, and the two guys from bot lane have their first encounter with mid, they can fight 2v1 or they can run. In a normal game, this fight should go in the favor of our adc and support, but the mid is fed enough to take them on and gets a double kill. Yes, it is partly the mid's fault for feeding, but the adc and support should have recognized that they were outmatched and ran away.

In both situations, bot lane played according to how it SHOULD BE instead of how it IS. This is a very difficult flaw to find in yourself, as it seems very easy to blame Leona for the first mistake and to blame mid for the second, but both could be avoided if you pick up the slack and deal with the mistake.

Have you ever had a game where an enemy got fed (terribly fed), but you won anyway? You probably won by consulting with your team to change your strategy, singling out the now most powerful enemy and focusing him instead of the pathetic adc or whatever. You won because you identified what was truly going on in your game and played according to that.

This flaw is incredibly common with everyone. Learn to play according to your team's flaws instead of blaming them for their flaws. Does one of your guy's have poor map awareness? That's his fault, but you can help him by giving him extra notice and attention whenever he's getting ganked. When you play support, if your adc is weak but your mid lane strong, ditch the traditional fighting style and peel for your mid lane.

Play according to the situation in the game. Exploit the weaknesses you see in the enemy's style, deal with your teammate's flaws and even try to make the best of them. When you expect the game to be played the same way every single time.

tl;dr: When your teammate is screwing up, don't play as if they're playing perfectly. When an enemy is fed, don't play as if they're at normal strength. Adjust your play style according to whatever is going on in-game.
---
Not once did we break the rules, we only broke the barriers in their minds.
#2Ravid182Posted 2/25/2013 6:14:25 AM
I would say that is more a criticism of players with mediocre skills.

Unskilled players have a lot more serious problems before they even get to that type of mindset flaw
#3SpacefrisianPosted 2/25/2013 6:17:46 AM
I never get my team to adapt to the situation, they just wont listen.

On that subject, could you give some hint as to how i might get them to start thinking and adapting?
---
Lets move mountains or mount movements.
#4fetchystick(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 6:18:03 AM
Ravid182 posted...
I would say that is more a criticism of players with mediocre skills.

Unskilled players have a lot more serious problems before they even get to that type of mindset flaw

Blaming others for their problems is part of this argument, and the fact that you do that instead of finding this flaw in yourself is why it is so hard to break.
fetchystick posted...
This is a very difficult flaw to find in yourself, as it seems very easy to blame Leona for the first mistake and to blame mid for the second, but both could be avoided if you pick up the slack and deal with the mistake.

---
#5fetchystick(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 6:21:39 AM
Spacefrisian posted...
I never get my team to adapt to the situation, they just wont listen.

On that subject, could you give some hint as to how i might get them to start thinking and adapting?

Usually I say something like "good god Kat is fed". Then while waiting for cencedence, I scan my team for a way to deal with the situation. I then propose a new battle plan, something short and simple: "Hey Leona, peel for ryze and all focus kat". Continually remind them of this plan, saying "focus kat guys" whenever you have the spare chance. Whenever the fight breaks out, ping like a madman to communicate the idea and your team will follow suit.

If the plan works once, your team will not only continue to use it, but they will also lose the big flaw. Your team will work together much better if good teamwork wins a teamfight.
---
#6kaysa13Posted 2/25/2013 6:28:53 AM
I definitely agree with what you've just said. I think that may be one of the reasons why Riot modified the Item shop interface: they want players to learn situational itemization instead of just sticking around on one 6-item builds that was displayed in season 2.

I don't want to bring this issue up in this thread, but this sort of mentality is what makes LoL separate from the usual MOBA. Some of Dota's items are like an "unspoken core item" (force staff, blink dagger) that almost every game, you'll see them one way or another. Whereas in LoL, item popularity is based on the current meta (armor/mres in s2, cleavers and warmogs in s3). Notable, however, is that the same cannot be said with summoner spells.
---
This is a signature.
#7MTRDrunkardPosted 2/25/2013 6:48:39 AM
Like any team games not just including computer games, people dont like being told what to do even if it good advice or admitting they have made a mistake and become stubborn. Worst type are quitters or refusing to do anything.

Though some people are arrogant or just thick.

Map awareness is a big problem, i noticed it while jungling. When you go to gank a lane, they dont react.
#8bobguydude1Posted 2/25/2013 6:49:34 AM
oh look some who is majoring in Psychology in college.
---
YOU BROKE RNG!!?!?!?!?!?!? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!- insane_pyro74
#9xDarknezzxPosted 2/25/2013 6:51:34 AM
bobguydude1 posted...

OP is the britta of LoL
#10SomnambulisticPosted 2/25/2013 6:54:09 AM

It's more like someone with actual common sense.
---
Would you like to know more?
http://i.imgur.com/7paAWOD.jpg