Why isn't there a luck based champion?

#21ThyCorndogPosted 3/6/2013 12:00:36 PM(edited)
yeah, but my argument is that it isn't any more predictable than a % dodge chance

I'm essentially saying that a chaotic system appears to be a probabilistic one even though it technically isn't

while it's true health regen isn't chance based, no one can sit there and do the calculations, so it might as well be

either way, like I said in my first post, it's minimal (negligible in the majority of cases)
---
Hey what's going on in this thread http://i.imgur.com/9VkxI.gif
My friend's YouTubes. She's got LP's and stuff. http://www.youtube.com/user/ratbirdchampion
#22InNox534Posted 3/6/2013 11:55:51 AM
Take 1 crit rune.

You're welcome.
#23PrizmSlashPosted 3/6/2013 11:57:35 AM
sonic_rockz posted...
As fun as CK would be, I don't think LoL players would ever figure it out.

There is nothing to figure out. Take it from someone who has been playing CK when he had 1% chance to deal 10x damage and 11% evasion on level one of his E.
---
-_-
#24DartkunPosted 3/6/2013 12:02:55 PM(edited)
I do...

And what I'm saying is that there is counterplay.

Let's say

A guy is getting away and you know he'll die in at least 2 shots.

You deal 50 damage and he is sitting on 45.

You take the first shot and while the shot is flying you have a choice.

Back off and hope he doesn't regen or take the second shot that could overkill him.

I decide to go for the overkill. No amount of reasonable health regen could make a guy sitting at 45 health survive 100 points of damage in <5 seconds of travel time.

Compare that to dodge.

The guy has 35% dodge, he's getting away and you know he'll die in at least 2 shots.

You shoot and the dodge roll means he takes zero damage, you shoot again and it also misses and he takes zero damage.

And he gets away. You can't do anything that can counterplay a purely random system like dodge.
---

Now I'm not saying I like randomness, I'd just saying it's different.

Frankly I hate randomness in any competitive game, and if It was up to me I'd remove crits from the game and change the system to act more like Caitlyn's passive. You build up Crit Rating, and based on that rating, every x hits is a crit. No more and no less.

(Example, every 7th attack is a crit which deals double damage. If you build an item with crit rating, it could go down to every 6th attack or every 5th attack to make the crits more predictable)
---
BlazBlue CSX: Mu-12 and Taokaka
youtube.com/user/Shinius
#25BurnumMasterPosted 3/6/2013 12:07:03 PM
static health regen is not luck based
---
GT:BurnumMaster
#26themagicpainmanPosted 3/6/2013 12:13:52 PM
No because you would always get the worst luck while your enemies get the best luck.

See: Ogre Magi
---
"Combine Cloak and Dagger with Boots of Swiftness so CC doesn't stop you from moving faster toward defeat." - Frost_shock_FTW
#27frozenphantomPosted 3/6/2013 12:20:56 PM
ThyCorndog posted...
Nintendo guy posted...
killa123145 posted...
ThyCorndog posted...
isn't any game with health regeneration in it already luck-based by nature?

I guess it's minimal, though

How is health regen luck?

I think he's referring to the fact that it can make it difficult to know precisely if an attack will finish an enemy off because they may regen just enough life to survive.

It's a bit of a stretch, though.

that's what I mean, yeah
if you can't know for certain, I don't see how it's any different than a dodge chance

You can't see the difference between a stat that heals a small amount at a constant rate and a stat that negates damage based on a dice roll? HP regen is much more akin to Armor and Mres - it creates a buffer between the health of the enemy and the actual amount of damage needed to do in order to kill them. The difference is that HP regen factors in over time, while Armor and Mres is completely upfront.
---
SSBB friend code: 1633 3855 4864
#28DeadpooL7Posted 3/6/2013 12:21:39 PM
ThyCorndog posted...
I've walked away with 6 hp before

if my hp was static at all times, that wouldn't have happened
it's lucky in the sense that I backed up at the last second and would not have survived if I even had 1 less hp regen per sec

Except you had a static amount of regen... sure most causal players wont factor that in but if they wanted to they could. It is factor-able and not at all luck based. You not paying attention/caring doesnt make it luck based. It just means you dont know.
---
Taric is mai waifu
#29Hyper InfernoPosted 3/6/2013 12:35:28 PM
Gangplank still has elements of luck in his kit, but it's not nearly as much as it used to be. His ult not slowing unless a cannonball hit was pretty random.
---
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
-Adam Savage, The Mythbusters
#30mrmonstrPosted 3/6/2013 12:42:59 PM
"Isn't critical damage enough RNG for you?"
---
LoL (EU West): mrmonstr (21)
LoL (NA): mrmonstrNA (1)