Teach me how to Malphite top.

#1SomnambulisticPosted 3/7/2013 7:29:48 AM(edited)
Yesterday I got forced to play Malph top and it didn't end very well. My team saw that he wasn't banned and basically told me if I didn't play him that we lost no matter what, because I always forget people are this stupid in ranked. But being a nice and complying guy, I locked it in. I was playing top anyway, I figured what the hell.

Went up against Darius, not even having the right runes (I think I took my Riven runes), and using my Cho masteries (9/21/0).

I max'd Q because I honestly didn't feel like looking anything up or doing any research or even really caring a whole lot, and it seemed at least somewhat sensible. Harassed him with it if it looked like he was trying to do the same to me, or if he was trying to last hit. Was able to complete Ninja Tabi and most of Frozen Heart before we lost. I got kinda stomped in lane anyway, went 1/3/1 and was 1/5/2 by the end of the game. My whole team was doing really bad, so I kinda saw the loss coming for a while.

Anyway, yeah...how 'bout that Malphite?
---
Gotta get that candy corn.
#2angermngment101Posted 3/7/2013 7:27:46 AM
Malph getting nerfed yo.
---
Gamefax
#3Village IdiotPosted 3/7/2013 7:43:25 AM
You build to counter whomever is your lane opponent, Doran's Rings if its someone you can harrass, and then your core items.
---
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude
#4ssj4supervegetaPosted 3/7/2013 7:48:33 AM(edited)
max q
i dont put any points in w for a long time. it makes it harder to freeze lane if you ahve to. if you are in a position where pushing is a better idea put a point in early max it last
E is great for dueling with an auto-attacker, or most people really. i like to put a point in e and q evenly sometimes, putting a point in 1 of them every other level.

After you get your ult, call a jungle gank, get them low and all in them, or gank mid after pushing.

flash teleport/ignite

magic pen reds
armour yellows
mr blues (per level or otherwise)
health/MS/armour quints

9/21 masteries

The general idea in lane that you can duel very well. Use Q on someone to either close the distance or to run away (it STEALS movement speed, so it both makes you faster and makes them slower) if you close the distance then you get in lcose, E them and just auto attack, with the attack speed reduction from your E you will out damage them for a few seconds with just autos, using W for some extra AD if you put a point in it.

they will back off most of the time. if you have ignite you can potentially kill someone early. for someone like darius you should try to close the distance without Q, just standing in the minion waves and try your best to bait out his Q, when he uses it, you walk up, E, auto a few times, and use Q on him and run away before his Q comes back up. this can be...hard tho because of his pull.

My opinions on malphite top o.o if you find me wrong please say so :D

As for build: A chalice is usually a good idea. you can eat thru mana very quickly if you're not careful. try not to use your Q often in lane unless you have to. same with E. only if you are trying to trade damage. if against an AP top, chalice is a great item. against others its still ok. Building some mana is also a good idea. a frozen heart isnt a bad idea. mostly focusing on armour in your build. and health (cause its S3 so health health health)

sorc boots are good on malph. if you want some damage first, sorc boots + haunting guise isnt a bad idea. ninja tabi/merc treads otherwise. haunting guise is still a good idea tho.
---
LoL summoner: Vejitables
Bromaciaaaaaaaaaaaa!
#5Badmood136Posted 3/7/2013 8:09:50 AM(edited)
Max Q>E>W, I suggest avoiding putting points into W until you need it for pushing since you cannot turn off the passive which pushes the lane whenever you try to last hit.

You can easily duel against other champs, but your killing potential is low without a gank. Don't use Q too much, as Malph's mana pool is puny.

Your big idea in lane is to try to push the enemy out and then farm up for Malph's crazy teamfight stage.

When teamfights roll around, you are the walking initiation. Malph has one of the best initiations in the game. Wait for a good moment, then ult onto the enemy carry. E makes sure their damage will be severely gimped, Q makes is hard for them to run away from you, and between your passive and W you will take a very long time to focus down.

Malph works well with HP and Armor, obviously. Sunfire Cape is a great early item on him. Frozen Heart and Abyssal Scepter both boost his damage and resilience (I suggest picking one or the other depending on who on the enemy team is hurting you the most, then building into the other.) If the enemy team is shredding your defensive stats, you can always build into Warmog's. For boots I suggest going Merc Treads so that enemy cc doesn't keep you from the carry for long.

If you feel like being trollish and/or are kinda fed, a Rabadon's makes your ult and E into an AoE pile of HURT. [I wouldn't suggest it tho, tank Malph is best Malph]
---
>;_;> >;_;> ^_^>(::) . . | GT:TwinInfinite
He took our cookie... | Active: LoL, TF2
#6OmfgitsBlahPosted 3/7/2013 8:11:01 AM
angermngment101 posted...
Malph getting nerfed yo.

Changed, not nerfed.

Taric was changed, not nerfed, so don't say it can't happen.
---
If inflaton turns $3 into $0, then $6 turns into $3. -Orca
#7jonlaw101Posted 3/7/2013 8:11:54 AM
How to Maplhite top:
>Lock in Malphite
>Go top lane
---
It's like playing monopoly then flipping the board over when they land on mayfair,saying 'lol i do what i want its just a game' - SoulStrikes
#8AmarajahPosted 3/7/2013 8:18:36 AM
Ey, teach me how to Malphite top ey, teach me how to Malphite top.

All the *****es love Malphite, he's rock solid
#9King_of_NowPosted 3/7/2013 8:24:01 AM
I like to max E>Q>W, but it's really up to you whether to max out Q or E first. I like the E because it allows for quick wave clears by lvl 5, combine that with a sunfire cape doing magic damage in an AOE, and it gets even easier.

I buy:

Either boots+3 pot, Cloth + 5pot, or dorans ring to start.

core items usually include (but are not limited to) Warmogs, Ninja Tabi (or boots of lucidity), sunfire cape, randuins omen, Abyssal Scepter..

You basically want to be a pure tank (or at least that's what I do when I play him)... he's really ****ing tough. Dat ulti