Why is Thresh not banned more?

#1Lord_WoobiePosted 3/9/2013 12:43:51 AM
He's just as scary as Blitz, if not more so.

Pros:
His grab has a shorter CD and lower mana cost, and tends to be maxed faster than Blitz's grab. Granted, it's not a complete grab, but the stun/gap closer alone are scary enough. *I acknowledge that there is a casting delay, but I've seen more Threshes land their Q than Blitzes (purely anecdotal - I don't have any concrete stats).

He deals pretty significant on-hit damage, and he has a 350 unit reach advantage over Blitz. He can contribute pretty significantly to damage output at any point in the game.

He scales with Souls to the point that he almost doesn't need to build Armor (outside the obligatory Locket / Aegis) - if you figure 2 or 3 souls drop per creep wave, that's 4 to 6 souls a minute, of which you should be able to nab at least 3 to 5. If you gain a level every 2 or 3 minutes in bot lane, you should manage anywhere from 9 to 15 armor per level early on. Diminishing returns don't start to be significant until about 40 souls, but at that point you should already be pretty tanky (theoretically you should at least have 32 armor from souls at level 5 or 6, which most champs don't get until level 10). My point is, Thresh is pretty tanky compared to most supports.

He has an AoE shield, which scales off AP (albeit poorly, but it's a shield - what do you expect?), which he gets naturally by collecting souls.

He can pull allied champs when they're out of position, which is something no other champ can do.

He has a push/pull move with a built-in slow on a relatively low cooldown, and can thus contribute to escapes and chases.

His ult can make for some pretty loltastic team fights.

He collects SOULS, for crying out loud. If that's not scary, I don't know what is.

Cons:
He has somewhat weaker initiate than Blitz since most of Thresh's successful pulls won't get an enemy close enough to your team to fight completely on your own team's ground and terms.

His pull won't pull through terrain.

He can be zoned out of getting souls, which he's fairly reliant on.

Outside of his not-always-reliant Q or E, he has no hard cc. But on the bright side, he DOES have hard cc.

His ult has a rather long CD (but teamfights shouldn't be happening more than every 2 or so minutes anyway).
---
On the field of honor, the gods bearing witness to my glory, I will pull your entrails through your eyes and use them as reins to ride your soul to hades below!
#2XcaIIionPosted 3/9/2013 12:53:05 AM
because taric is easier to coordinate with in solo queue.

people are too stupid to use the lantern.
---
Ahri is mai waifu
Join the glorius evolution!
#3GorenksPosted 3/9/2013 1:03:59 AM
I could throw the lantern in plain sight that would save the lives of everyone on my team, and none of them would ever take it even if I repeatedly yelled at them to.
---
XBL/BF3PC: Boogiepop101
Steam ID: OhmyGLOB!
#4DarkEspeon996Posted 3/9/2013 1:08:31 AM

He can toss his lantern to collect out of reach souls.
---
What goes up, must go down. Like my grades...- black wargreykid
http://i.imgur.com/amV5N.jpg
#5Lord_Woobie(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 1:16:06 AM
DarkEspeon996 posted...

He can toss his lantern to collect out of reach souls.

Yeah, but then his lantern goes on a long-ish CD, so its use for soul-collecting should be as infrequent as possible.
---
On the field of honor, the gods bearing witness to my glory, I will pull your entrails through your eyes and use them as reins to ride your soul to hades below!
#6Lord SojiroPosted 3/9/2013 1:22:06 AM
Probably banned at higher elos I would expect, not so much low elo.
---
Oh no! It's Idiot power!
#7VoidgolemPosted 3/9/2013 2:02:48 AM
in solo queue? Probably due to hook being less effective/more telegraphed than blitz's - it really is a case of 'just dodge it'.

No idea why he isn't perma'd in arranged teams, dem lanterns.
---
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j360/voidgolem/Lagannrim_zps5e36b947.jpg
#8BhelliumPosted 3/9/2013 2:18:20 AM
nothing trolls like thresh+anivia

but tbqh, despite thinking he was op at launch it's a rare time i actually fear him, unlike say taric, nunu, or leona

box is ok for teamfights and all but it has nothing on amumu or mal
---
If Pluto is not a planet Europe is just West Asia.
#9mrmonstrPosted 3/9/2013 2:36:56 AM
He's in the stage where people don't hate him but you can be fairly sure that anyone using him can't use him fully effectively. No one is scared of him yet, Unlike blitz and mumu.
---
LoL (EU West): mrmonstr (21)
LoL (NA): mrmonstrNA (2)
#10Viewtiful_JonPosted 3/9/2013 2:54:00 AM
Dont think enough people own him to make him a worth ban yet.