They should release free skins more often.

#1DeanyzyPosted 3/9/2013 10:12:32 AM
I was thinking earlier, I wonder how much money Riot has made from announcing Karma's free skin? I'm guessing sales for her would have increased a lot. I bet interest in Draven has gone up a bit since they've stated that the Gladiator skin will be free (at least in Italy it seems).I wonder how profitable it'd be if they released a free skin every few months or for special occasions? Like for Earth Day you could bring out a free Zyra skin or something like 'Eco Friendly Blitzcrank'. I don't know why I thought of Earth day.

I'm guessing they'd make a nice bit of money from the champion sales, especially if the skin is for a 6300 champion since more people would buy RP for a 6300 champion then they would for a 1350 champ.

I think it might be a good way to increase sales and the use of less popular champions while rewarding long term and loyal fans. Then again I don't know, I'm probably overestimating the sales and underestimating the cost of creating a new skin. It could be an interesting idea though.
#2DartkunPosted 3/9/2013 10:17:58 AM(edited)
It would be good for the players.
It doesn't really help the company aside from goodwill.

inb4: entitled gamer / Riot needs the money / you don't understand business
---
I don't sugarcoat things | Logic > Feelings
youtube.com/user/Shinius
#3AphoristicPosted 3/9/2013 10:19:18 AM
When Riot gives out free skins for any reason the champion is always included. This doesn't help them get money.
---
[ Aphoristic (360/Steam/League) | Aphoristic92 (PS3) ]
[ 'Look at that dang-ass dang!' - Arin Hansen ]
#4OwlRammerPosted 3/9/2013 10:22:08 AM
entitled business, you don't understand the Riot! Gamers need the money! >:(
---
BlazBlue Continuum Shift - Main: Platinum Sub: Tager|OwlRammer for everything
MvC3 - Deadpool/Magneto/Spencer,X-23/Arthur/Spencer|Travian is awesome.
#5Deanyzy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 10:25:59 AM(edited)
Aphoristic posted...
When Riot gives out free skins for any reason the champion is always included. This doesn't help them get money.

I was thinking more along the lines of what they're doing with Karma. They could announce the skin and then say that players that own the champ before a certain date would get the skin for free. I reckon it could increase sales of the champion getting the skin, especially if it's a short deadline.
#6Deanyzy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 10:36:40 AM
OwlRammer posted...

I'm not entitled, I was just thinking about Karma's rework but also Playstation Plus and how they make money from the free games by putting it's DLC on sale and I wondered if the same could be applied to LoL through the occasional free skin.
#7FlareZeroPosted 3/9/2013 10:38:03 AM
Nobody likes skins that everyone can have. Remember the Goth Annie skin?
---
You like it or you don't, but i hate people saying it's 'an acquired taste." That's just a cop out. - bookwormbabe29 on beer.
#8DartkunPosted 3/9/2013 10:42:28 AM(edited)
Deanyzy posted...
OwlRammer posted...

I'm not entitled, I was just thinking about Karma's rework but also Playstation Plus and how they make money from the free games by putting it's DLC on sale and I wondered if the same could be applied to LoL through the occasional free skin.

Chill, (pretty sure) t'was a joke on my post.

I'm with you, I feel like good will gets ignored way too much by big business because it doesn't directly affect the bottom line. I'm a actuary major with a minor in HR. Executives forget how much good will can and will do for your business.

Like, I'd release a skin for anyone that has bought RP or will buy RP in the next week because of the emotional pull that has on people.

Now people want to buy just a little bit of RP for the free skin and older players feel like they are cared for, even though it's just a token reactionary thing.

And just remember to state that this won't be a regular thing or else you create an expectation.

FlareZero posted...

I think the reaction was more from the fact some owners of Goth Annie (not me in any way shape or form) felt like it was something unique being taken away from them not that it was bad to give it to everyone.

Example, there is a bug in the new Sim City that is giving people DLC that was supposed to be for pre-orders to non-pre-order players. It's the people who did pre-order that are upset that they aren't being rewarded more than upset others get to have fun.
---
I don't sugarcoat things | Logic > Feelings
youtube.com/user/Shinius
#9Deanyzy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 10:42:29 AM
FlareZero posted...

I think that's different though, Riot planned to make that skin available to everyone when it was previously only available through an expensive bundle. It's not like I'm proposing to give away a skin for free that was previously available to buy.

A lot of people are going to own the Traditional Karma skin but that's not going to stop anyone grabbing her before the next patch hits.
#10Deanyzy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 10:43:41 AM
Dartkun posted...
Deanyzy posted...
OwlRammer posted...

Chill, (pretty sure) t'was a joke on my post.

I'm with you, I feel like good will gets ignored way too much by big business because it doesn't directly affect the bottom line. I'm a actuary major with a minor in HR. Executives forget how much good will can and will do for your business.

Like, I'd release a skin for anyone that has bought RP or will buy RP in the next week because of the emotional pull that has on people.

Now people want to buy just a little bit of RP for the free skin and older players feel like they are cared for, even though it's just a token reactionary thing.

And just remember to state that this won't be a regular thing or else you create an expectation.

FlareZero posted...

I think the reaction was more from the fact some owners of Goth Annie (not me in any way shape or form) felt like it was something unique being taken away from them not that it was bad to give it to everyone.

Example, there is a bug in the new Sim City that is giving people DLC that was supposed to be for pre-orders to non-pre-order players. It's the people who did pre-order that are upset that they aren't being rewarded more than upset others get to have fun.

I apologise, I misunderstood.