Skarner Help

#1darklordryuPosted 3/12/2013 9:07:25 AM
OK, so I play mostly bots with friends (lolcasual, I know), but I really want to branch out and do more PVP. I realize the playstyle is completely different and want some advice on how to Jungle Skarner a bit better against humans instead of bots. I know that I can't steal their buffs as easy (like I'm gonna try dueling a Lee Sin as Skarner...), I know that I should ward more, and I know that I should probably build tanky and forgo my lovely Nashor's Tooth I love so much on him.

That being said, I tend to run him maxing Q and W and more or less ignoring E until level 13, should I snag at least one point in E early though? Should I focus on quick clears or should I focus on ganking more (seems like he excels at ganking like nobody else except J4)? Basic ideas from people who play him would be appreciated. I've already watched a few vids, played about a dozen bot matches with him so I have his speed and range down, and read a few mobafire entries, but just wanted some more quick pointers from those who play him. Thanks!
---
"It could be worse. Also use periods. It helps ur sentences." - o3killu
^^^ What is, reasons I hate the Internet sometimes for $200 Alex? ^^^
#2TomorrowDogPosted 3/12/2013 11:14:49 AM(edited)
Ignoring E is generally what people do, though if you are getting blues past your first clear it isn't too bad an idea to get a point in it for an extra ~50 health at each camp.

Skarner's ganks pre-6 are pretty weak because his slow isn't very strong yet and he has to get in melee range and hit them with Q twice. I generally power-level to 6 and only worry about a lane that I feel is vulnerable. And to be honest, having one of your laners die so you can hold the lane isn't that bad at all. Skarner can get real ridiculous, real fast if he gets ahead of the enemy jungler in levels or items.

After 6 it is pretty much gank every time your ultimate is up, and powerfarm in-between since your auto-attacks bring your ult back up. Try and get a feel for counter-jungling, Skarner can duel a lot of junglers and you can really snowball games if you follow a strategy of ganking and killing a lane and then going in to the enemy jungle while they are lacking the presence of that laner.

For build both Spirit of Ancient Golem and Elder Lizard are great on him. With how gold efficient they are and the fact that Skarner loves every stat they give, you might just get both of them. SAG is the ultimate starting defensive item for Skarner that lets him tank towers for an inordinate amount of time as he sticks to an enemy, SEL is an excellent offensive item (40 damage on every Q, CDR, procs AoE true damage continuously, more damage on his auto-attacks) though I don't rush it as first item as you need tankiness early.

You can substitute Locket of the Iron Solari in for SAG though, or Sheen (upgraded to Iceborn Gauntlet, maybe Tri-force) in for SLE. Or maybe just get them all. The usual other tank items are just fine on him too, there is barely a stat in the game he doesn't like having and he can function well as a carry or support.

If you're carrying hard I like to get Wit's End or Stinger. After he has his other stats, attack speed on Skarner is really great because of his passive and if you bought SEL then the attack speed and AD synergize for even more damage.

Finally, if you aren't really carriyng then Shurelia's and Twin Shadows are great "support" items on him. They really let him make some disgusting initiations on the enemy carry to ult them and end a teamfight before it even starts. In a teamfight, if you aren't strong enough that you can dive the enemy carry then make use of your awesome slows to peel for your carries.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#3lightdragoon88Posted 3/12/2013 11:13:42 AM
Iceborn and Rageblade are very good on Skarner.
---
My favorite League of Legend Champion: http://i.imgur.com/xx0hSNV.png
http://i.imgur.com/Q7BrWKG.png
#4zefigPosted 3/12/2013 11:17:23 AM
Skarner has a surprisingly strong dueling power, don't sell yourself short.
---
Wii FC: 1686 5820 3040 7075
XBL: PettyAlchemy
#5LordMordorPosted 3/12/2013 11:26:29 AM
Get mobility boots ASAP, with no gap closers and all his skills being semi-melee range he needs that speed to get in theyhick of things

I personally take a single point in E at level 4, bit avoid using it I'm the jungle. I can't count the times when someone was just a bit to far ahead of me and escaping with a sliver of health...the extra range on E has secured me many kills

Offensive items should be either: rageblade, triforce, iceborn, wits, and maybe nashors

But your primarily going to be building extra tanky so you can survive to dive teams for pulls

My build usually ends up as
Mobility
Spirit of golem
Frozen heart
Trinity
Spirit visage
Either rageblade or extra defensive item of situation
---
This election year....vote the Dark Lord Sauron
He promises better healthcare and free Rings of Power!
#6darklordryu(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2013 12:40:25 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the responses!

For clear, the typical Wolf > Blue > Wraith > Wolf > Red would be ideal right?

Also, any particular champs I should be extra wary of? I feel like Fiora would be a total pain with her untargetable ult and chase ability and I know even from bots that certain ADCs like Ez are just a nuisance to try and gank (seriously... that flash...).

As for boots, go for straight mobility or out of combat speed boost? I feel like straight mobility, once I have CDR would be better for sticking on an enemy and Q spamming.

Again, Thanks for all the advice so far! You've all been actually nice and helpful, which was something I was fearing would not happen after seeing some of the comments on this board.
---
"It could be worse. Also use periods. It helps ur sentences." - o3killu
^^^ What is, reasons I hate the Internet sometimes for $200 Alex? ^^^
#7TomorrowDogPosted 3/12/2013 4:38:08 PM
Fiora really isn't bad, as a melee range champion that doesn't have a good escape and no CC she is actually pretty good prey for Skarner. The one thing you need to be wary of is tower diving her since some people tend to get baited/trolled by her ultimate.

Olaf and Morgana are the big obnoxious ones IMO because of their CC shields. Morgana can jack your ult on any champion and forcefeed you an hour long snare, Olaf is a bastard to gank and impossible for you to keep off your carry in teamfights.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#8Arken101Posted 3/12/2013 4:47:10 PM
darklordryu posted...
Awesome! Thanks for the responses!

For clear, the typical Wolf > Blue > Wraith > Wolf > Red would be ideal right?

Also, any particular champs I should be extra wary of? I feel like Fiora would be a total pain with her untargetable ult and chase ability and I know even from bots that certain ADCs like Ez are just a nuisance to try and gank (seriously... that flash...).

As for boots, go for straight mobility or out of combat speed boost? I feel like straight mobility, once I have CDR would be better for sticking on an enemy and Q spamming.

Again, Thanks for all the advice so far! You've all been actually nice and helpful, which was something I was fearing would not happen after seeing some of the comments on this board.

Mobility boots are the out of combat boots. He has a MS steroid built into his shield and perma slow so he has no problems sticking to targets, he just has a little trouble closing that initial gap which is why he gets gank boots.
---
[http://animebot.everyboty.net/pix/866.jpg] [http://i.imgur.com/xx0hSNV.png]
Disregard Choices, Acquire Swain Garen's mai waifu