What is the goal of Riot nowadays?

#1AStrawhatPiratePosted 3/14/2013 12:02:16 AM
There game is a hit. They are all probably filthy rich. But unlike other game companies, they aren't making another game or throwing new content at us left and right. On the contrary, they actually slowed down champ release. Fans of the game would love to have new HD beautiful artwork for all the older champs, new innovative, creative skins for some of our old favorites as well. Visual updates are also very nice and reworks seem to slightly be more favored by the community than not. Yet these things take absolutely the longest time to actually get done.

I wonder, with all the money Riot is making and the popularity and momentum that this company has gained in such a short time, why does it take months upon months for a visual update, rework or new skin to come out? Are they undermanned?

It does not seem like it. They still keep balance patches coming out like hot cakes, (which is a major thing anyway since balance changes keep people playing) but everything else is slow. When I wonder where there resources are going, it becomes clear. Every other interview you see about Riot is something to do with trying to control the behavior of the community and the players.

But why? Why does so much time and effort go into trying to make players behave in a certain manner. For over a year now, Riot has focused on "toxic" players and trying to find the correct method to identify, punish and reform these type of people. I applaud that, but why so much? Why is a rager raging more important than a delicious visual upgrade to an old fan favorite like Trundle, Sion, Heimer or Morde? Why do champs like Malphite and Akali still have loading screen images that look like you would find them on a book cover in the science-fiction area in the library during the early 90's?

TL;DR? Why does Riot seem to be putting all sorts of effort into making players behave? Effort that could be used for better testing of champs, items, making new champs, Visual updates, new artwork or just other things fans want.
---
LoL: Stank Dangerous
#2Flame_HazardPosted 3/14/2013 12:11:42 AM
I still want to know why they won't do any variation for the primary map. Just add some ****ing weather effects, day and night, chop down a tree or two. Change some colors. Not that I'd be opposed to there being a second 5v5 map entirely. I mean, it's just a mirror, save for the location of Baron and Dragon. How hard can it possibly be to balance..? Leave it out of competitive play for a few months while people test it in normal play.

Seems none of this is gonna happen though. Slow champ release, slow skins, no sign of new map skins or maps whatsoever. I hope that Blizzard moba turns out to be good.
---
Warning: EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Keep away from populated message boards.
#3vladymanPosted 3/14/2013 12:17:27 AM
They will begin to do those things once the popularity of the game begins to decline. Doing it now won't really accomplish much.
#4dennis941012Posted 3/14/2013 12:17:33 AM
I still want to know why they won't do any variation for the primary map. Just add some ****ing weather effects, day and night, chop down a tree or two. Change some colors. Not that I'd be opposed to there being a second 5v5 map entirely. I mean, it's just a mirror, save for the location of Baron and Dragon. How hard can it possibly be to balance..? Leave it out of competitive play for a few months while people test it in normal play.

Seems none of this is gonna happen though. Slow champ release, slow skins, no sign of new map skins or maps whatsoever. I hope that Blizzard moba turns out to be good.

Think of everything riot accomplished in S2
new twisted tree line
dominion
who knows how many champions and skins
more bans in ranked
new masteries and runes
custom aram map

it will come in due time
and its not like dota2 releases new map
---
(>")> <(' ')> <("<)
~GameFAQs LoL Board Supreme Leader~> voted by http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=89123
#5JennaTahliaPosted 3/14/2013 2:41:54 AM
You can't just throw more resources at something and expect to go faster. You can't get 9 women pregnant and expect a baby in 1 month.
---
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m631/happysack2/TheDog.png
Add me I'm good. ign Schmelton
#6jonlaw101Posted 3/14/2013 2:58:35 AM
Flame_Hazard posted...
chop down a tree or two.

I hope you never get a job where you need to make a decision about anything

Cooking fries/chips seems like a Flame_Hazard for someone of your cognitive skills and qualifications.
---
It's like playing monopoly then flipping the board over when they land on mayfair,saying 'lol i do what i want its just a game' - SoulStrikes
#7BhelliumPosted 3/14/2013 3:01:04 AM
to make more money doing nothing but server maintenance and fan service
---
If Pluto is not a planet Europe is just West Asia.
#8wantfastcarsPosted 3/14/2013 4:42:21 AM(edited)
jonlaw101 posted...
Flame_Hazard posted...
chop down a tree or two.

Cooking fries/chips seems like a Flame_Hazard for someone of your cognitive skills and qualifications.

Because removing the trees and giving Summoner's Rift an optional desert or arctic theme would cause horrendous balancing issues, right?
---
Now Playing: BL2, TF2, LoL
i5-3570k | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz RAM | EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW | Asus P8Z77-V LK | Western Digital 7200RPM 1TB HDD
#9matrix0523Posted 3/14/2013 4:43:51 AM
Only thing I want is for Winters Rift and Autumn's Rift (?@ Autumn's Rift name) to be available for personal use whenever you like. I honestly don't see why they can't do that.
---
GT: Chauvanistic - Only good player on gamefaqs - UMvC3 - Wesker - Doom - Strider - P4A - Teddie- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7-8Q2kTe4 - 2:50
#10Delano7Posted 3/14/2013 4:51:45 AM
wantfastcars posted...
jonlaw101 posted...
Flame_Hazard posted...
chop down a tree or two.

Because removing the trees and giving Summoner's Rift an optional desert or arctic theme would cause horrendous balancing issues, right?

Only horrendous burger flipping issues heheheheheh