The reason Riot gives for the Karma rework is completely nonsensical.

#1Lord_WoobiePosted 3/16/2013 12:20:18 AM(edited)
Before I get started, I'll just say that I'm not usually one to say that things just flat-out don't make sense - you can justify a lot of things in some creative ways and get them to fly okay by me. But this just flat-out doesn't make sense.

It seems like the main reason Riot gives for reworking Karma is based, not in her clunky mechanics or nearly absolute team dependency, but in the fact that her mechanics don't seem to correlate with her aesthetic "theme."

Apparently people look at her and get confused as to whether they should be playing her as a support or as a bursty mage - both roles she can play pretty adequately, in the same vein as Orianna, Lux, or Morgana. I don't understand why one role necessarily excludes the other.

I'm not saying she doesn't need a rework - her kit doesn't flow very naturally and her play style is not very intuitive. But don't blame it on the way she looks.

If that's your criteria for champs that need a rework, then look at Swain. NOTHING about him at face-value (or at any value, tbqh) indicates that he should be able to transform into a giant man-eating bird. He's a tactician thematically, and should logically be something of a support champ, but instead he's a tanky DPS mage with a laser bird.

On that note, look at Blitzcrank and Thresh - what about them aesthetically indicates that they should be played as supports first and foremost? Amumu should be a tank? Wut? Fizz is an assassin who uses hats and hourglasses to kill people? Why does Mordekaiser use AP and Spell vamp to do his dirty work instead of oversized metallic weapons? I think you get the idea.

Source:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3197509&p=35330565
---
On the field of honor, the gods bearing witness to my glory, I will pull your entrails through your eyes and use them as reins to ride your soul to hades below!
#2Svara_DodolaPosted 3/16/2013 12:18:06 AM
I was wondering that too.

As a new player, you wouldn't have known Amumu is tanky.
---
Basking Rootwalla (1 Green, 1/1 creature) Tap: Basking Rootwalla gains +3/+3 until end of turn
#3EphidelPosted 3/16/2013 12:59:18 AM
Yeah, Riot is kind of strange about giving unusual kits to champions that look "different." I mean, I like her new design quite a bit, but I think they're just doing whatever they feel like and using that as an excuse to justify it. This isn't the first time they've had strange cover-up reasoning.
---
The time is out of joint. O cursed spite, that ever I was born to set it right!
http://i.imgur.com/pyvQmyz.gif
#4giled_tolgraPosted 3/16/2013 1:08:38 AM
I guess its more about them not trying to say ¨We screwed Karma up pretty badly¨
---
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=Windsupernova
Play Whatever. No fanboyism. PW.President of the Biased club
#5random_noobiePosted 3/16/2013 1:24:04 AM
at least you weren't like the people on GD and bring out your hipster glasses.

and then whine that she's not "karma" and they want her to be made into a "completely new champion and to keep the original karma".
---
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
LoL IGN: nvmvoidrays
#6iCuriousPosted 3/16/2013 1:27:46 AM
Lord_Woobie posted...
her kit doesn't flow very naturally and her play style is not very intuitive

1. I'm pretty sure they've said this was a reason at some point. In fact, there's an entire post full of reasons right here, from the same thread you linked:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=35623691#35623691

Karma’s kit was in a weird place, but her ultimate was especially problematic. Her base abilities didn’t feel impactful and only felt effective when supercharged by Mantra. On top of that, when Karma had two charges of Mantra, we had to make both of them weaker to compensate for players double casting empowered spells.

Karma had the offensive tools to support her team in small skirmishes but not the powerful defensive abilities she needed to protect a team. Also, her all-purpose abilities are so broad they never felt like the right choice in any situation. All in all, Karma lacked direction.

2. You seem to agree that a rework is sensible enough. Why even make this topic? Just to complain that you didn't like one of their stated motives..?
---
? ? ?
#7dotsdfePosted 3/16/2013 1:29:00 AM
I kind of agree with them though. I bought her for the skin upon her rework, but prior to that I had no idea what her moves even did. It just seemed like she would light up occasionally but otherwise be useless. She kind of needed some kind of flair to make her stand out more.
---
Winner of the Third Hacked User Contest.
World's #1 Phoenix Wright fan.
#8EcchiBakaPosted 3/16/2013 1:33:05 AM
Lemme just summarize this for you:

- Karma is useless, least used champion in League of Legends
- Community is upset, wants Riot to give her a look and make her noticeable
- Riot reworks Karma, gives free skin akin to old Karma look for players who were concerned
- Community is upset, wants Riot to give sensible reason for the rework

Sounds like the community is a pain in the ass. Not counting your opinion as the general majority but I'm damn sure there's a good portion that would follow you on this.
---
LoL: Ecchi Baka/TheGreatestBaka. Give me ecchi manga recommendations!
http://i.imgur.com/xx0hSNV.png
#9SharzakenatorPosted 3/16/2013 3:18:36 AM
Lord_Woobie posted...
Before I get started, I'll just say that I'm not usually one to say that things just flat-out don't make sense - you can justify a lot of things in some creative ways and get them to fly okay by me. But this just flat-out doesn't make sense.

It seems like the main reason Riot gives for reworking Karma is based, not in her clunky mechanics or nearly absolute team dependency, but in the fact that her mechanics don't seem to correlate with her aesthetic "theme."

Apparently people look at her and get confused as to whether they should be playing her as a support or as a bursty mage - both roles she can play pretty adequately, in the same vein as Orianna, Lux, or Morgana. I don't understand why one role necessarily excludes the other.

I'm not saying she doesn't need a rework - her kit doesn't flow very naturally and her play style is not very intuitive. But don't blame it on the way she looks.

If that's your criteria for champs that need a rework, then look at Swain. NOTHING about him at face-value (or at any value, tbqh) indicates that he should be able to transform into a giant man-eating bird. He's a tactician thematically, and should logically be something of a support champ, but instead he's a tanky DPS mage with a laser bird.

On that note, look at Blitzcrank and Thresh - what about them aesthetically indicates that they should be played as supports first and foremost? Amumu should be a tank? Wut? Fizz is an assassin who uses hats and hourglasses to kill people? Why does Mordekaiser use AP and Spell vamp to do his dirty work instead of oversized metallic weapons? I think you get the idea.

Source:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3197509&p=35330565

The first time I played Shen I was on a Skype call with friends and they laughed at me for building damage on him. But he's a ninja, I said
---
I got so much love I don't know where to put it
#10TheSteelPhoenixPosted 3/16/2013 3:20:59 AM
Yah they aren't too consistent with nailing the theme to their use. Teemo is a stone cold killer but you'd never think it.
---
lol