What information would you like in a sticky topic for this board?

#21ISF_Lmaokai_TMHPosted 3/25/2013 3:22:29 PM
g-cube_masta posted...
I'm not a fan of stickys. Makes the board ugly imo.

I think you'd be better off turning that into a general gameplay guide and FAQ and put it in the guide and FAQ section.

^

I've been posting on this board for what is probably now about 3 years. I have seen far greater players than SeaIntoTheSky attempt with their own stickys of MUCH higher quality than you produced.

Do you see any stickys on this board?
Would you like to know why?

THEY DON'T WORK.
You can't tell anyone anything in a sticky that isn't blatant advertising, information that won't apply in two weeks or a couple months or board user favoritism.

There's no point. Tips, are mostly opinion. What to do to get better, mostly opinion. What you did to get better, purely situational and conditional. How to get high elo, opinion, confirmation bias and bragging. The only parts of the game that stand as FACT are aspects of the game that change every two weeks, IE: stats, items, costs, gold gain, champion skills, cooldowns, etc. Which even if you tried, you couldn't fit in a topic. Just give up. It's stupid, a waste of your time and a waste of space on the board. You can very quickly get a topic stickied, but good luck having it ever see a sunrise.
---
IGN: Wolf Beil / Nemichthyidae
http://www.youtube.com/user/Lmaokai
#22ISF_Lmaokai_TMHPosted 3/25/2013 3:31:00 PM
btw, people didn't request unsticky, when a certain number of people request sticky, it will sticky the topic automatically. Then it will get sent to a moderator who will look through the topic and then remove the sticky when he finds anything that isn't pure fact.
---
IGN: Wolf Beil / Nemichthyidae
http://www.youtube.com/user/Lmaokai
#23Raging FirePosted 3/25/2013 4:25:40 PM
Also I see many posts about describing the game in such lengths for a new gamer. Most gamers will just dive into it and learn from the tutorial if they are brand new.

The purpose of a sticky is for the most frequently asked questions on the board. So the board is not flooded by the same topics over and over. Like the ones asking about elo clamping, how do I get better, how much LP do I lose after I get demoted etc. Things like the meta and such are always changing and that is covered in game guides.

The tutorial only gives a simple overview of SR. It decently covers some basics (e.g. lanes, jungle camps, towers, inhibs, nexus), but only for SR. TT, dom, and ARAM are quite a bit more lacking in terms of official tutorials. Also, parts of the meta don't really change. Lane distributions (1-1-1-2 in SR, 4-1 in dom, 1-2 or 1-1-1 in TT) and basic team comps (don't be all melee, don't be all ranged, have an initiator) are essentially fixed just because of how the maps are set up and how the game works.

More importantly though, figure out your target audience. Skimming through the current first few pages, I'm seeing mainly topics about champ builds, the meta, news, and variants of blogfaqs. On the other hand, it sounds like you're planning to focus on the ranked system. Even searching specifically for "rank" only gets a handful of topics concerning confusion about how the S3 ranked system works. As for tips on getting better,

There's no point. Tips, are mostly opinion. What to do to get better, mostly opinion. What you did to get better, purely situational and conditional. How to get high elo, opinion, confirmation bias and bragging. The only parts of the game that stand as FACT are aspects of the game that change every two weeks, IE: stats, items, costs, gold gain, champion skills, cooldowns, etc. Which even if you tried, you couldn't fit in a topic. Just give up. It's stupid, a waste of your time and a waste of space on the board. You can very quickly get a topic stickied, but good luck having it ever see a sunrise.

pretty much that. Champ tips would fit better in actual guides, items frequently change, and generic advice isn't too helpful. Last-hitting, ganking, zoning, and such mostly boil down to experience and circumstance. Again, figure out your audience. Tips on getting better in a mode that you've been playing for hundreds of games would either be too vague to help or too specialized to work in a sticky. Tips for someone trying to learn a game mode though? Possibly workable into a sticky.
#24Cecil RagnarokPosted 3/25/2013 4:41:04 PM
which gamefaqers not to take invites from

taiga swifttoad etc
---
RaptorLC: So instead you made a sucky suicide that you're lucky was deleted quickly, so only a few LUEsers are actively mocking you for how bad it was.