How do new players stick with this game at this point?

#1MindOSTPosted 3/23/2013 9:11:05 PM(edited)
I made a new account to play with my friend and people screech "Noob" at anyone who makes a mistake or doesn't stick to the meta or doesn't choose optimal item builds..

No **** people are noobs, it's level one.
---
Obvious alt is obvious
http://www.youtube.com/user/MindOST
#2Mystic__HatePosted 3/23/2013 9:11:49 PM
There are no new players, just smurfs. I play more competitive and intense games on my level 10 than anyone else.
---
necroix05 posted... As balanced as my breakfast.
but I only had the cereal
#3GreatKiraLordPosted 3/23/2013 9:15:09 PM
I'm a noob and I don't do well.
But I've not met too many people that were overly hostile towards me for doing so haha.
BTW, once I'm level 30 do I need to stick with ranked? Or can I just play unranked?
Is it common for people to just play unranked mostly?
#4bstbllPosted 3/23/2013 9:16:51 PM
I grew up playing DotA. This game's community is like a parade of ****ing saints compared to them, so that's what worked for me.
---
So basically communists are druids. -Gestapoid
#5bstbllPosted 3/23/2013 9:18:48 PM
GreatKiraLord posted...
But I've not met too many people that were overly hostile towards me for doing so haha.
BTW, once I'm level 30 do I need to stick with ranked? Or can I just play unranked?

Figured I'd answer this (and yes I know I could just edit, but I'm lazy and don't want to paste). It's perfectly normal for people to play mostly unranked games, and it's definitely a good idea to put off playing ranked for a while after you hit 30 just so you get used to it (try playing only champions you own). People will generally screw around more, so if you're super competitive you might not enjoy it, but it can definitely be fun.
---
So basically communists are druids. -Gestapoid
#6BahamutZEROPosted 3/23/2013 9:19:53 PM
bstbll posted...
I grew up playing DotA. This game's community is like a parade of ****ing saints compared to them, so that's what worked for me.

wow if some of the people I met are worse on DotA that must be hell.
---
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/UltimaInferno/BZ.jpg
#7GreatKiraLordPosted 3/23/2013 9:21:33 PM
bstbll posted...
GreatKiraLord posted...

Figured I'd answer this (and yes I know I could just edit, but I'm lazy and don't want to paste). It's perfectly normal for people to play mostly unranked games, and it's definitely a good idea to put off playing ranked for a while after you hit 30 just so you get used to it (try playing only champions you own). People will generally screw around more, so if you're super competitive you might not enjoy it, but it can definitely be fun.

Thanks bstbll.
I think even when I'm a lot better at this game, I'll mostly stay with unranked.
I love this game for what it is to me: casual game where I can pick and play with my favorite champions heh.
#8TheDarkNerdPosted 3/23/2013 9:27:06 PM
I made a new account to play with my friend and people screech "Noob" at anyone who makes a mistake or doesn't stick to the meta or doesn't choose optimal item builds..

Fear of this caused me to attempt to learn the game at a rate that far outstrips what I can actually pull off through practised skill.

Doesn't help against the yelling. In the end, it's easier to just thicken my skin a bit.
---
http://i.imgur.com/WKp3kfx.gif
#9BhelliumPosted 3/23/2013 9:29:12 PM
i didn't have many problems starting in November
at first, sure, but then all smurfs of good players are in their own hidden elo area and you start stomping on the smurfs of the bad ones

no game stage is safe from the occasional toxicity but with any competitive game that combines juveniles of various ages, nearly complete knowledge of all your team's actions, and adrenaline spikes is going to have issues
---
If Pluto is not a planet Europe is just West Asia.
#10natchu96Posted 3/23/2013 9:34:23 PM
GreatKiraLord posted...
bstbll posted...
GreatKiraLord posted...

Thanks bstbll.
I think even when I'm a lot better at this game, I'll mostly stay with unranked.
I love this game for what it is to me: casual game where I can pick and play with my favorite champions heh.

Yeah. Level 10 right now, been playing about 3 weeks (?) on and off, and I'm really just in it for the game than comparing myself to the world in ranked. I'm not going to do well anyway, IMO. It's a game in unranked by the end of it, so why so serious people? Ranked is when the esports kicks in for the most part, so worry about people making mistakes there.

I win, I feel great. I lose, then okay, they're better than me. Good Game. If 3v5 and I can't carry hard enough, what can you do?
---
"Luna, I'm afraid he's right. You can't go around calling people that, even if in this case it appears to be the truth." - Sena