For those of you who do not believe ping affects games

#41Latios77Posted 3/24/2013 5:17:32 AM
im playing at 220-240 ping so i've kinda adjusted to that ping
---
What games are free where, free games where
-DemonDog666
#42RaymondPosted 3/24/2013 5:29:22 AM(edited)
I have around 80-100 ping. I wish I have like 40 ping or less.

If this is FPS, 80 ping is game killer. So, I can see the difference of having lower ping. Look at Challenger tier, three times lower the ping than Silver.
---
Spoiler is plot element, not your ignorance.
#43kirbymuncherPosted 3/24/2013 6:04:37 AM
blakenick posted...
2. The gamers able to reach those higher brackets have lower pings, meaning that they are also likely to be hardcore gamers,

really this seems like the most likely to me: Both low ping and high elo go hand in hand with a third thing, that being a "hardcore gamer" who is more likely to practice, put lots of effort towards getting promoted more, and spend money/effort getting a better connection
---
THIS IS WHAT I HATE A BOUT EVREY WEBSITE!! THERES SO MUCH PEOPLE READING AND POSTING STUIPED STUFF
#44FlameLord23Posted 3/24/2013 6:26:18 AM
JaggiJumper posted...
graph not working on phone

how much of an impact does the graph show? I'm gold with 200 ping

Basically not much of a difference. It slowly goes down until challenger where it drops off, mostly because a lot of the challenger players are the pros living in California. I think it's just the fact that there are more people in lower tiers that makes the ping get lower as you get higher.
---
Annie TDC Hastur Shut up jesus.
LoL IGN: I Rock Ths
#45RaymondPosted 3/24/2013 6:44:23 AM
kirbymuncher posted...
blakenick posted...
2. The gamers able to reach those higher brackets have lower pings, meaning that they are also likely to be hardcore gamers,

really this seems like the most likely to me: Both low ping and high elo go hand in hand with a third thing, that being a "hardcore gamer" who is more likely to practice, put lots of effort towards getting promoted more, and spend money/effort getting a better connection

Wrong. The ping is more to do with your distance to the servers than your connection. If you already have decent speed of connection, getting a faster connection won't affect your ping.
---
Spoiler is plot element, not your ignorance.
#46wantfastcarsPosted 3/24/2013 6:58:30 AM
g-cube_masta posted...
I think FPS is even more of a handicap for some players.

People be playing on toasters.

This. I'm on my laptop for a week while on spring break. My normal computer (in sig) runs at 60 FPS at all times (would probably be stable @ 120, but my monitor only refreshes at 60Hz so why uncap the framerate), whereas my laptop drops to ~30 in big teamfights. It is a VERY noticeable difference, and I feel like if my framerate were to drop below 30 there would be a significant adverse affect on my performance.
---
Now Playing: BL2, TF2, LoL
i5-3570k | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz RAM | EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW | Asus P8Z77-V LK | Western Digital 7200RPM 1TB HDD
#47RihawfPosted 3/24/2013 7:02:13 AM
Having 250 ping is not that bad, I'm just bad
---
LoL NA IGN: MyakkoFirst|steam: rihawf| Nami main
League of Legends BR IGN: Rihawf (who'd know?)
#48IndianaJones65Posted 3/24/2013 7:10:48 AM
ITT: lol teaches you english
---
GameFAQs Win/Loss Record: 16/30 ; FCs in profile.
#49AeciooPosted 3/24/2013 7:14:24 AM
Edgemaster70000 posted...
That part about the leavers?

That's one of the reasons I can never leave Bronze. They're never on the other side, and no matter how good you are, you simply CANNOT win a 4v5 unless the entire enemy team is completely ******ed.

:D
---
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcb35gGx0t1qailr4o1_500.gif
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=57N0YAEJ
#50blakenickPosted 3/24/2013 7:21:57 AM
Raymond posted...
kirbymuncher posted...
blakenick posted...

Wrong. The ping is more to do with your distance to the servers than your connection. If you already have decent speed of connection, getting a faster connection won't affect your ping.

I personally know 3 gamers that moved closer to the exchange to increase their internet speeds... One of whom would not identify themselves as a hardcore gamer despite racking up like 40-50 hours a week. So even if it is rare it may have a possibility of being more wide spread.

Also for the distance from the server thing... I dunno if that's true to the extent that you think it is. I live 9km from the exchange and get a max speed of about 50ms, average 140ms. Those who moved closer sometimes get pings of around 24ms, average 49ms (I'd only recorded the average for one of them but the others claimed close numbers as well).

Considering I live in Australia and the WoW servers are in America... I think... (The game the pings were based upon), and that these speeds appear to be comparable to American speeds I'd say it was the distance from the exchange not the overall distance from the server, or at least it appears to be the reason for triple digit pings as opposed to double digit under 50ms ones.

Needless to say I got smashed in duels, but I also did it in reverse battling the same guy on a friends computer in the exact same circumstances and we were pretty evenly matched (I won 3/5 matches... not a decisive win but still quite good in comparison, but still not reliable data).

The thing that everyone has noticed if they'd played with both sets of pings is the lack of lag when under 20ms and the massive delays when playing above 100ms, at least in fast paced games. But there is also no real way around this...
---
It's common courtesy for a lady to swallow
If you lived here, you'd be pwned by now