Xcallion's support tier list (solo queue)

#1XcaIIionPosted 4/9/2013 11:32:19 AM
this is just my personal opinions based on what i see in solo queue games as a support player. this tier list goes under the assumption that you are queueing completely alone and your adc is showing the usual level of solo queue communication AKA NONE. i will be including the standard support selection as well as champs that i see played as support on occasion that arent normally played as support.

the list
general wool tier: shaco

tier one: taric, lulu, thresh, leona, blitzcrank

tier two: sona, alistar, janna, zyra, nami

tier three: fiddlesticks, lux, nunu, soraka, pantheon

tier four: morgana, nidalee, karma, kayle, zilean, nautilus

tier five: orianna, yorick, galio, gangplank, jarvan, maokai, heimerdinger, shen, nasus teemo, volibear, singed, poppy, veigar,

the explanation
If you are general wool pls play TAPS shaco and carry me. if not, **** off. i've seen TAPS shaco work like twice, when it wasnt wool. everyone else has failed.

tier one are the go to solo queue supports. they require little communication to be effective and can oftentimes win bot lane singlehandedly while scaling into late game very well.

Tier two are probably about as good as the tier ones, but they arent quite as communication independent. you will need your carry to not be a complete moron

tier three are supports that can be effective, but you will need to work for it. if your adc doesnt know how to follow up with you or work with you, you will fail.

tier four is where you start moving into being gimmicky. these supports will work sometimes, but are usually more effective in other lanes or situations and you need to win lane hard to be good later. i would avoid picking these 'supports' in solo queue unless you dont really want to be supporting.

tier five is just... pls no. dont do this to me man. yes they have skills that provide utillity... yes they can help in bot lane fights... but there are so many better choices and if your enemy picked one of those choices and knows how to use it, you will probably lose.

the logic behind some of the choices
taric is a stupid easy support in both usage and in how easy he is to follow up on. he sets up kills like no other and then provides huge auras in the late game. easily the best support for usage in solo queue. in organized play he is outclassed though and easier to play against. and there are better choices to go with if you have a good adc.

lulu, the jack of all trades and master of like... one or two. she makes up for your allies dumb mistakes, saving people left and right. if your adc wants to farm you can solo zone out the enemy support and carry if played well. if your carry wants to fight she can win bot skirmishes as well. her poke has huge range, annoying damage and a great slow. she is bursting with utility and potential if you just think before you cast.

thresh's utility is also extremely high. the harass coming out from q passive isnt huge, but it adds up after a while. the death sentence active truly lives up to its name, if you catch someone with it you can probably kill them. add that with the op lantern and a fantastic teamfight ult and you got yourself a great support. oh, did i mention he gets a ****ton of free armor and ap just by chilling in lane?

to be continued
---
Ahri is mai waifu
Join the glorius evolution!
#2XcaIIion(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 11:32:27 AM
leona, the winner of bot lane skirmishes. all of the previous supports will likely lose to her and her carry in a straight up 2v2 fight. her burst and cc combo is absurd and gets kills in the blink of an eye. the only reason she isnt higher is because her utility is solely for getting kills and being aggressive. her team fight in lane game is good, as is her tankabillity, but if you lose bot lane you will never be tanky enough to do anything for the rest of the game and will mostly be limited to your (admittedly awesome ult).

blitzcrank the pervert in the bushes. if you get grabbed, you die same as a hook from thresh. the difference being that blitz's hook pulls you much further, leads into a knockup and doesnt have a windup time. too bad it costs half his mana pool. lategame blitz can win games with one hook. he is also a constant disruptive factor in teamfights with a knockup on a three second cd and an aoe silence. blitz is banned quite often though in lower leagues so good luck getting him.

sona used to be the queen ***** of poke supports while providing amazing auras all game. oh how the mighty have fallen. oh my poor nerfed musician... despite being as tanky as wet tissue paper sona still pokes and harasses in lane very effectively while providing easier last hitting for her carry and heals. her auras are still good at max rank so enjoy having teamwide buffs worth several thousand gold. oh and dat ult is pretty good too. big teamfight stuns are always nice.

alistar is one of the best carry protectors in the game. nothing says 'GET THE **** OFF MY CARRY' like an angry cow smashing the ground at your feet. alistar also provides great tower dive potential very early on... if you can convince your carry to come with you. being unkillable while having no items is also good for teamfights and the heal really helps with extended pushes.

janna remember when i said alistar is 'one of the best carry protectors?' meet janna and say good bye to your carry ever getting touched again. janna is strong at all points in the game, but is most noticeable in the late game with her huge teamfight. imo, janna is the best teamfight support in the game which her variety of cc and repositioning. the reason she is t2 is because she doesnt provide much kill potential in lane, which you need in solo queue.

wtf zyra? nobody plays zyra, right? that's true, but you should. she has lane harass that beats out most other supports, great dueling power, and two aoe hard cc's while dishing out 'tons of damage.' she is a strong lane and teamfight support, that has fallen out of popularity for reasons i dont understand. perhaps it's the shiny new support toys of thresh and nami?

nami is better than people give her credit for. the bubble is a strong zoning tool or great cc if you land it. her heal/nuke will do a surprising amount of harass and heal in bot lane fights. her passive combined her her on hit slow for the carry is also underestimated and dat ult is a teamfight winner. she also has high mana costs, slow travel time on her cc and no reliable hard cc if your enemy is careful of the bubble.
---
Ahri is mai waifu
#3RihawfPosted 4/9/2013 11:33:15 AM
i'll punch you in the face
not because of nami placing
because I feel like it
i hate "agressive" supports and lulu
---
LoL NA IGN: MyakkoFirst|steam: rihawf| Nami main
League of Legends BR IGN: Rihawf (who'd know?)
#4SoraOwnsAllPosted 4/9/2013 11:34:18 AM
nami sucks
---
"I'm no hero, never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer hired to do some wet work." - Solid Snake.
#5XcaIIion(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 11:46:17 AM
SoraOwnsAll posted...
nami sucks

that's what you think

dis tire list is about wat i think. i respect your opinion though.
---
Ahri is mai waifu
#6TomorrowDogPosted 4/9/2013 11:57:36 AM
Soraka is top tier, you just aren't manning up when you play her.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#7GevaudenPosted 4/9/2013 12:00:08 PM
I agree with your list XcaIIion very good observation, I love using Nami support tho when I heal teammates her healing fish usually kill steals LOL.
---
LOL ign - Gonk
#8MhkaMAthPosted 4/9/2013 12:00:37 PM
Nami should be lower, Soraka should be higher.

Maybe Nid and Nunu higher too but I dunno.

Other than that, I'm not too peeved.
---
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6840/mathz.jpg http://i.imgur.com/iB1sU.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/juliaxx/Picture56.jpg Free stuff!
#9XcaIIion(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 12:12:39 PM
MhkaMAth posted...
Nami should be lower, Soraka should be higher.

Maybe Nid and Nunu higher too but I dunno.

Other than that, I'm not too peeved.

not saying that nunu is a bad support, just that he isnt too effective in solo queue as you need to rely on your carry to win lane with the advantages you offer them. nunu doesnt really spoonfeed kills like the t1 champs do, he simply provides a great buff and hopes the carry uses it well.
---
Ahri is mai waifu
#10SeaIntoTheSkyPosted 4/9/2013 12:14:55 PM
If you are going under the assumption that your ADC is not very good in solo queue then I think that Leona should be lower on the tier list. She requires more coordination than other supports and cannot do as much as the other supports by herself. As well as if you start losing your lane as Leona it is really tough to come back.