So I am new, please help me pick a champ to use.

#1FrewsaPosted 4/9/2013 6:04:17 PM
So I am level 9, I just started playing 10 days ago, and I want a good champ that I can use on a regular basis.
After experimenting a few times, I found a good champ I really like: Malzahar. I really like his playstyle and I actually do good with him. However, after doing some reading, I learned that his usefulness can be dramatically lowered with the QSS. People I get matched up against don't use that, but as I start getting higher level and start playing ranked, I know it is going to be a problem.

So, those of you with more experience and knowledge, can you recommend me a good champ that plays like Malzahar does, with a good nuking combo against single targets, good at CC, and good at pushing lanes? Preferably a one that is a ranged champ.

As a side note, I have tried using Ashe, Annie, and Orianna, all with disastrous results. Granted, I am a better player now, but still. I didn't like them at all.
---
I am on Gamefaqs using Internet Explorer for Xbox and am typing this on my Windows phone using Smartglass
No, seriously, I am.
#2shadyelfPosted 4/9/2013 6:09:52 PM
just play who you feel comfortable with. Even at 30 and even upto gold counterpicks and crap don't mean as much as being comfortable with your champ

and people here keep saying "lol qss=gg" but I've played with them nobody builds it.

You might wanna try Syndra though, I feel like her ult is like his in terms of nuking except much quicker and fire and forget
---
?
#3NicoGrimmPosted 4/9/2013 6:10:04 PM
Almost every champ's suefulness can be lowered witha certain item or two. Don't let that hinder you.
Like Malzahar? Buy him. Enjoy him.

As for similar champs, you might also like Swain and Brand.
---
"So selfish them" would be their cry. And, who'd be brave to argue? Doin' what you people need is never on the menu!
#4P00DGEPosted 4/9/2013 6:10:34 PM
Durrrrius: King of Faceroll

LeBlanc: His Queen

That is all
#5LOZLTTPPosted 4/9/2013 6:11:23 PM
Ryze
---
Many people, of course, use 'sentimentalism' as a term of abuse for other people's decent feelings, and realism as a disguise for their own brutality. G H Hardy
#6SirWozzelPosted 4/9/2013 6:24:11 PM
The answer is always Jax.
---
Poppy is sane. She just wants revenge. Kinda like Batman, but with a huge hammer.
Steam ID: SirWozzel
#7lascat9Posted 4/9/2013 6:45:38 PM
frewsa posted...
So I am level 9, I just started playing 10 days ago, and I want a good champ that I can use on a regular basis.
After experimenting a few times, I found a good champ I really like: Malzahar. I really like his playstyle and I actually do good with him. However, after doing some reading, I learned that his usefulness can be dramatically lowered with the QSS. People I get matched up against don't use that, but as I start getting higher level and start playing ranked, I know it is going to be a problem.

So, those of you with more experience and knowledge, can you recommend me a good champ that plays like Malzahar does, with a good nuking combo against single targets, good at CC, and good at pushing lanes? Preferably a one that is a ranged champ.

As a side note, I have tried using Ashe, Annie, and Orianna, all with disastrous results. Granted, I am a better player now, but still. I didn't like them at all.

The closest champion to what you have just described is Veigar. Note that he may not play exactly like Malzahar, but he holds some of the same characteristics. He also has everything you listed, although his lane pushing power is very weak early on. Veigar is not easy, and he plays like Annie, someone who you have claimed to have trouble with. Understanding his full combo and hitting it correctly is the difference between a decent Veigar and a truly good one. Also, understand that his stun is awkward and is not easy to land. It may take some time to learn Veigar, but he can be a truly scary champion when played properly.

Ashe is a tough AD carry for newer players to grasp despite her 450 price. She has no escapes and relies on kiting to get away from anti-carries during teamfights. Many anti-carries (Poppy for ex.) will laugh at your slow and dive you through your whole team. What makes her valuable is a global stun that can initiate most teamfights. Using the arrow wisely is a huge part of Ashe and making that decision is something that some pro players may have difficulty with, so don't feel bad if you can't grasp Ashe.

Annie is a close range AP with tons of burst. What she has in damage is lost in range, as she cannot pull off her combo or even harass from very far out. This makes her susceptible to mid laners with long range poke (Lux anyone?) or mid laners who have tons of range. However, when Annie pulls off an entire combo, she can 100-0 most enemies on the map. The problem lies in pulling off the combo correctly, but she is not as technical as Veigar when it comes to launching her burst. Try to catch the enemy off guard, stun with tibbers, hit W, hit Q on him and try to finish him off if he's hanging on with 50 health (ignite is good) and then leave before his friends show up to kill you.

Orianna is arguably one of the hardest champions in the game. Using her ball to zone enemies and initiate teamfights requires strong skills in positioning for not just yourself, but also the ball. Her ult isn't exactly easy to land either, as there is a small delay between when you hit R and when the people are dragged in. A proper Orianna is something to watch out for, but a solo queue scrub who saw Orianna on the free list is probably going to find out that there's a lot more to Orianna than meets the eye.
---
Not changing this until Chicago Cubs win the World Series. Started: 1908
#8Frewsa(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 7:00:00 PM
lascat9 posted...
frewsa posted...

The closest champion to what you have just described is Veigar. Note that he may not play exactly like Malzahar, but he holds some of the same characteristics. He also has everything you listed, although his lane pushing power is very weak early on. Veigar is not easy, and he plays like Annie, someone who you have claimed to have trouble with. Understanding his full combo and hitting it correctly is the difference between a decent Veigar and a truly good one. Also, understand that his stun is awkward and is not easy to land. It may take some time to learn Veigar, but he can be a truly scary champion when played properly.

Ashe is a tough AD carry for newer players to grasp despite her 450 price. She has no escapes and relies on kiting to get away from anti-carries during teamfights. Many anti-carries (Poppy for ex.) will laugh at your slow and dive you through your whole team. What makes her valuable is a global stun that can initiate most teamfights. Using the arrow wisely is a huge part of Ashe and making that decision is something that some pro players may have difficulty with, so don't feel bad if you can't grasp Ashe.

Annie is a close range AP with tons of burst. What she has in damage is lost in range, as she cannot pull off her combo or even harass from very far out. This makes her susceptible to mid laners with long range poke (Lux anyone?) or mid laners who have tons of range. However, when Annie pulls off an entire combo, she can 100-0 most enemies on the map. The problem lies in pulling off the combo correctly, but she is not as technical as Veigar when it comes to launching her burst. Try to catch the enemy off guard, stun with tibbers, hit W, hit Q on him and try to finish him off if he's hanging on with 50 health (ignite is good) and then leave before his friends show up to kill you.

Orianna is arguably one of the hardest champions in the game. Using her ball to zone enemies and initiate teamfights requires strong skills in positioning for not just yourself, but also the ball. Her ult isn't exactly easy to land either, as there is a small delay between when you hit R and when the people are dragged in. A proper Orianna is something to watch out for, but a solo queue scrub who saw Orianna on the free list is probably going to find out that there's a lot more to Orianna than meets the eye.

Wow thank you for all the information, I've been reading up on all the suggested champs in this topic, and the one you suggested seems to be the closest to what I was looking for.
---
I am on Gamefaqs using Internet Explorer for Xbox and am typing this on my Windows phone using Smartglass
No, seriously, I am.
#9Launcelot111Posted 4/9/2013 9:14:19 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about people building QSS against Malzahar. From my experience, most people in normals at all levels largely build what their preexisting vision of their build should be more than to counter the other team.

For your criteria, I'd suggest Lux. Her E gives her good pushing power quickly, her Q lets you catch people or stop them from catching you, her W will keep your team alive, her E lets you check bushes to prevent walking into a trap, and her ult is a blast to use. All her spells have great range for playing safe, and with a little practice, you can burst a lot of people down in one combo.