Dota 2 overtakes LoL as most played PC game of 2013

#101xRustySpoonPosted 4/10/2013 2:35:48 PM
xRustySpoon posted...
Obviously if they didn't believe the numbers, they wouldn't have reported it as fact. Right?

Wrong. News outlets tend to care more about viewership than legitimacy. And they aren't reporting it as fact necessarily. They're simply stating that this research conducted in the first place, and here are their results.

You could argue that if a news outlet reports on anything at all, it's implied that the information is true, but I think that's becoming less and less true.

News reporting agencies are cowards and hedgers. Let's take the recent rape case in Stubenville, Ohio as an example. Even though we had video evidence that linked those two people to the crime, we still had news outlets and media saying "the two HS student accused of raping a student..." The alledged attackers..." when it's pretty clear to anyone with a functional brain they were guilty.

My point here is that because we can't see the full report, they can play smoke and mirrors with their results.

wat... l0l

Reporters use words like "accused" and "alleged" because that's good reporting. The alleged rapist isn't guilty of anything until he's gone to court and appeared in front of a judge or a group of his peers.
---
Get dumpstered.
LoL/Steam: xRustySpoon Follow these tips and you'll be fraggin' like a pro.
#102MezmorizorPosted 4/10/2013 2:36:37 PM
xRustySpoon posted...
Obviously if they didn't believe the numbers, they wouldn't have reported it as fact. Right?

Wrong. News outlets tend to care more about viewership than legitimacy. And they aren't reporting it as fact necessarily. They're simply stating that this research conducted in the first place, and here are their results.

You could argue that if a news outlet reports on anything at all, it's implied that the information is true, but I think that's becoming less and less true.

News reporting agencies are cowards and hedgers. Let's take the recent rape case in Stubenville, Ohio as an example. Even though we had video evidence that linked those two people to the crime, we still had news outlets and media saying "the two HS student accused of raping a student..." The alledged attackers..." when it's pretty clear to anyone with a functional brain they were guilty.

My point here is that because we can't see the full report, they can play smoke and mirrors with their results.

Saying anything besides "accused students" would be highly illegal. Bills of Attainder are frowned upon.
---
what are "herpes"~samuelskip
#103Xander7756Posted 4/10/2013 2:38:26 PM
XcZeus3469 posted...

Further, DFC can gain exactly the same benefits from fudged numbers the same way credit agencies benefit from administering ratings-they're paid for it.

No it doesn't work that way. Let's assume the numbers are incorrect. Riot could easily prove DFC was wrong, and lying. If they did that, DFC's reputation would be completely shattered and they would never be hired by anybody again. They would go out of business for doing such poor work (or even intentionally making up numbers as some have claimed). In short, if their numbers are wrong, DFC is in big, big trouble. Wouldn't that provide them motivation to have ACCURATE numbers?
#104bstbllPosted 4/10/2013 2:45:10 PM(edited)
Xander7756 posted...

Your position is that "these numbers can't be right because they conclude something I don't want to be true" and you say *I* can't admit when I'm wrong? That's funny.

Uh, no. My position is that the numbers aren't right because they are in direct contradiction with every other piece of evidence available, are in the process of being challenged, and when pressed for answers the company providing the numbers refused to provide details. Calm down there buddy.
---
So basically communists are druids. -Gestapoid
#105Xander7756Posted 4/10/2013 2:40:37 PM
bstbll posted...
Xander7756 posted...

Your position is that "these numbers can't be right because they conclude something I don't want to be true" and you say *I* can't admit when I'm wrong? That's funny.

Uh, no. My position is that the numbers aren't right because they are in direct contradiction with every other piece of evidence available, are in the process of being challenged, and when pressed for answers the company providing the numbers refused to provide details. Calm down there buddy.

Also, I should address this point, simply because you seem to have a hilarious misguided view of how the media and law work, despite the fact that you're trying (albeit pathetically) to work in one of them.

In case you don't realize this, in this country people are considered to be innocent until proven guilty. If the media starts calling people rapists and saying they're guilty before a verdict is returned, they are potentially opening themselves up to a world of legal hurt.

I never said that second quote. Nice try.
#106angermngment101Posted 4/10/2013 2:40:58 PM
I hope this shuts everyone up

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/

LoL 80,000 viewers
Dota2 25,000 viewers.
---
Gamefax
#107CovenantPosted 4/10/2013 2:41:06 PM
More pressingly, we donít have access to the exact methodology the DFC used for its conclusion.

You can't say they're wrong and you can't say they're right. All you can say is that they said something.
#108MindOSTPosted 4/10/2013 2:41:25 PM
XcZeus3469 posted...

The same can be said of Riot though. And as I already pointed out, DFC Intelligence is an independent research firm. They have no motivation nor benefit from fudging their numbers. Riot on the other hand, does. So why immediately conclude DFC is the one who is wrong?

Riot is part of a publicly traded company, they have a LOT to lose by lying so blatantly about the size of their player base.
---
Obvious alt is obvious
http://www.youtube.com/user/MindOST
#109eco masterPosted 4/10/2013 2:41:27 PM
Xander7756 posted...

Wrong, because sensational headlines = $$$, whether it's true or not.

Mezmorizor posted...
Xander7756 posted...
Basically he's claiming 4.8 out of 5 million of League of Legends' players must be in Asia where they don't track.

Um, also the fact that they're using XFire to get these numbers. That's a horrible metric.

Reading comprehension. Work on it.

I did. XFire "and other sources" along with "declined to comment further" leads me to believe just XFire. There's absolutely no reason to believe otherwise. When the method behind figuring these numbers is bad, the numbers are bad. When the method is unknown, the numbers are absolutely meaningless.
---
ill be here 4 u eco jus lyk the mop on the commercial babby-wechina23
fighting games suck-bluerain
#110bstbllPosted 4/10/2013 2:44:46 PM
Xander7756 posted...
bstbll posted...
Xander7756 posted...

Also, I should address this point, simply because you seem to have a hilarious misguided view of how the media and law work, despite the fact that you're trying (albeit pathetically) to work in one of them.

In case you don't realize this, in this country people are considered to be innocent until proven guilty. If the media starts calling people rapists and saying they're guilty before a verdict is returned, they are potentially opening themselves up to a world of legal hurt.

I never said that second quote. Nice try.

True. I saw the X in the name and assumed it was you. Edited.

You're still ignoring the first half, though, which was the most substantive portion. Stick to your guns, man. Don't give up, you've almost convinced nobody!
---
So basically communists are druids. -Gestapoid