Just got to level 20

#11Walker_RealPosted 4/10/2013 11:44:31 AM
Yeah mid takes some time to get used to.

So the thing with support is it's harder to rune for red's, flat AP is a typical choice, but Armor Pen and Magic Pen aren't great, your heals shields and support moves won't take a benefit from that.
#12NicoGrimmPosted 4/10/2013 11:44:41 AM
Are red AS runes not useful? I've been using them on my jungle Vi, but wondering uf flat AD reds would be better. Or, maybe even armor pen, assuming it stacks with her W.
---
"So selfish them" would be their cry. And, who'd be brave to argue? Doin' what you people need is never on the menu!
#13Hey_XellosPosted 4/10/2013 11:45:07 AM
breakfastramen posted...
Newb question: are the blues always *scaling* MRes for a particular reason? Like they don't sell flat MRes or something?

Also it sounds like I'll be safe getting some of these with a wide variety of champs, but I also like to play support. How much will that change the runes I need?

Support you will probably need the the extra gold Quints.

Scaling MR vs straight MR depends on how you are going to play your lane. If you are going to go all in and be aggressive then straight MR will be better or if you are going for the lvl 1 rush the enemy team. If you are going to be passive then scaling will be better. I think it takes till lvl 7 or 8ish before they are equal in value (don't know off the top of my head).

Same with the Reds. I tend to go Magic pen if I am AP support (lulu/sona) and Armor Pen (Leona/taric). This again is an aggressive support. Non aggressive i would go straight armor.

Yellow I would go with straight armor.
#14SupaPowersPosted 4/10/2013 11:52:49 AM
Runes I can't live without:

Reds: Armor Pen, Flat AD, Magic Pen (also AS for certain junglers)
Yellows: Obligatory Flat Armor, scaling Health/lvl
Blues: Flat MR, scaling MR/lvl, Flat AP
Quints: Flat Health, Movement Speed, Flat AP, Flat AD (I also have a huge boner for Spellvamp Quints on Kennen)

Obviously these will be acquired over a long period of time.
---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
#15SupaPowersPosted 4/10/2013 11:55:00 AM
SupaPowers posted...
Runes I can't live without:

Reds: Armor Pen, Flat AD, Magic Pen (also AS for certain junglers)
Yellows: Obligatory Flat Armor, scaling Health/lvl
Blues: Flat MR, scaling MR/lvl, Flat AP
Quints: Flat Health, Movement Speed, Flat AP, Flat AD (I also have a huge boner for Spellvamp Quints on Kennen). Also, if you play Support a lot, Gold/10 Quints might be a good choice.

Obviously these will be acquired over a long period of time.

---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
#16berserksPosted 4/10/2013 12:26:17 PM
I don t think buying for a specific champ is a good idea unless you re 200 % sure you ll play it a long time .

If you ask me , buying mr , armor ( the same can be use on multiple page) are a good start since they are useful for all champ and buying ad for 1 page and ap for another is the way to go .
---
@zzzzzzz[]XX::::::::: KINGS-FIELD.COM ::::::::::>
#17breakfastramen(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 1:00:54 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll do some rune shopping once I'm back home.
#18infinitexxPosted 4/10/2013 1:02:33 PM
NicoGrimm posted...
Are red AS runes not useful? I've been using them on my jungle Vi, but wondering uf flat AD reds would be better. Or, maybe even armor pen, assuming it stacks with her W.

AS reds help early clears on AA Junglers far more than anything else.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#19RajamicPosted 4/10/2013 3:39:48 PM
I'd start with Armor Yellows and Scaling MRes Blues. Those blues are used on pretty much everyone, and those yellows are used on everyone except that some people prefer Gold/10 yellows on support.

After that, I'd recommend AP Quints, as they are useful on both AP and Support champs. By getting those (and probably MPen Reds), you'll have the ideal "generic" AP runeset, which works pretty well for Support as well, letting you fill 2 (and with a few champs, Jungle as well) roles.