How does thresh do top?

#1earthmaster3Posted 4/14/2013 11:14:33 AM
Do you build bruiser or glass cannon, 9\21\0 or 21\9\0
---
It's like walking up to a girl you really like, going in for a kiss, only to get a casual punch to the face before the kiss.
- Notch
#2NicoGrimmPosted 4/14/2013 11:43:17 AM
I don't know the details, but I have seen Thresh do well top.
I assume bruiser with 9/21.
---
"So selfish them" would be their cry. And, who'd be brave to argue? Doin' what you people need is never on the menu!
#3EDumeyPosted 4/14/2013 11:47:10 AM
Better than some.

Worse than others.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZhLrT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H6Frl.jpg
#4BlocktopusPosted 4/14/2013 11:50:31 AM
sucks
---
http://i.imgur.com/f09dfvV.jpg
#5ManTigerPosted 4/14/2013 11:58:13 AM
There are better tops
#6DeanyzyPosted 4/14/2013 11:59:29 AM
He's not the greatest but he isn't horrible. It's not his optimum role.
#7SupaPowersPosted 4/14/2013 12:10:46 PM
He counters Singed.
---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
#8KaliphearPosted 4/14/2013 12:11:19 PM
Taking Thresh top should only be done if you want to intentionally stall a lane against a physical bruiser. Optimally, you would want a very aggressive, high-damage jungler to compliment your wealth of CC. I would recommend avoiding the AD gimmick, and instead go for a defensive build utilizing a variant of on-hit damage via BoRK/Malady and relying on soul pickups for the bulk of your damage.

Keep in mind that the best you can hope for is to just zone the opponent and stall the lane. I've only successfully taken him top twice: once against a Garen and the other against an Olaf. And both times our victory was the result of bottom lane snowballing from early jungle pressure since I required no babysitting whatsoever. It also helped that both times my opponent seemed unable to figure out what to do when they didn't kill their opponent before level 6.

All in all, I would recommend avoiding taking him top in general. He's easily one of the best (if not just THE BEST) supports in the game right now, and to put him in a lane by himself like that wastes a lot of his potential.
#9DarksteelPosted 4/14/2013 12:12:02 PM
I just can't see him having good match-ups with most common tops (renekton, Garen, etc)
---
Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general -Mark Rippetoe
#10KaliphearPosted 4/14/2013 12:15:10 PM
I just can't see him having good match-ups with most common tops (renekton, Garen, etc)

He actually does okay against Garen. Since you're by yourself, you effectively delay putting points into lantern and instead get a few early points into Flay to reduce its CD. And since Garen has no way to immediately close gaps, you're free to harass from outside his range and knock him away when he tries to run at you. Against champions with more instantaneous gap closers (Renekton) or equivalent range (Kayle, Elise) or heavy magic damage (Rumble, Vlad), Thresh doesn't do as well because of his lower-than-expected magic resistance early.