A couple of questions (never played before)

#1Louisville15Posted 4/14/2013 3:17:58 PM
1. Is this game "pay 2 win"? I'm hesitant to play F2P games because of P2W games, so I'd like to know if those who dump money into the game are at an unfair advantage to those who choose not to. Or is it like TF2 where everything can be obtained by not paying a penny, just those who do pay get access to cosmetic items sooner?

2. Is it beginner friendly? I'm terribad at SC2 so I'm assuming I wouldn't be too good at this game either, but I'm looking for a new game to try.
---
i7 930 @ 3.6 | EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature 2 | EVGA E758 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Windows 8 | OCZ ZX1250 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | 240GB Mushkin Chronos | AW2310
#2zeppelin312Posted 4/14/2013 3:23:54 PM(edited)
does a good job of avoiding pay to win, you can pay for skins, or to expediate in game currency or xp gain. While spending money can expand your champion pool, you aren't barred from getting any of those things with playtime. Additionally the major thing that effects in game that is based on before even starting are runes, and those can only be gotten with in game currency. You never have to spend money on this game, and you will still be competitively matched for the most part.

not newb friendly, there is a lot of information that you need to learn about the game before you can even become semi-competent. Most people still suck long after they hit max summoner level, being level 30.
#3AriavoltagePosted 4/14/2013 3:21:18 PM
Not pay to win at all. Everything except purely cosmetic items can be bought with in game currency. Not very noob friendly, but more so than dota2.
#4aHappySackaPosted 4/14/2013 3:26:33 PM(edited)
1. Not really, you can get a minor lead from spending some money such as the newest champions or just more in general and full sets of rune pages (which only mean anything at level 20 or above) but it's nothing gamebreaking. For the most part the only reason to spend money is to get skins which are just for aesthetics.

2. It's baby's first Moba, it's made to be dumbed down for newer players to get into. Don't even think about playing Dota 2, while it is mostly the better game, the difficulty curve is massive and has an annoying chunkiness as well.
---
You are now blinking and breathing manually.
http://i.imgur.com/j8p5fA8.png
#5DartkunPosted 4/14/2013 3:22:15 PM
Hey LV15 is making his way to LoL?

FYI other LoL players, LV15 kinda famous on PCH :P

Anyways, it's not P2W. There are mild tiny advantages you could theoretically gain, but the bonus is only noticeable at the absolute highest level of play and no one is near that. You won't be at a disadvantage at the max level either. A lot of players don't put in any money.

And the genre is hard, but if you just persevere and know not to take the raging personally it's fine.
---
Gamer Logic - Anyone worse is a noob, anyone better is a tryhard /v/irgin
youtube.com/user/Shinius
#6Louisville15(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 3:26:09 PM
Ariavoltage posted...
Not pay to win at all. Everything except purely cosmetic items can be bought with in game currency. Not very noob friendly, but more so than dota2.

Can the cosmetic items be unlocked in some way without paying (i.e. random drops in TF2 that you can get)? Or are they purely for sale only? Do you have to buy champions (those are the characters, right?).

Also, is there a leveling/XP system?
---
i7 930 @ 3.6 | EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature 2 | EVGA E758 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Windows 8 | OCZ ZX1250 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | 240GB Mushkin Chronos | AW2310
#7zeppelin312Posted 4/14/2013 3:29:39 PM
Louisville15 posted...
Ariavoltage posted...

Can the cosmetic items be unlocked in some way without paying (i.e. random drops in TF2 that you can get)? Or are they purely for sale only? Do you have to buy champions (those are the characters, right?).

skins are the only cosmetic in game items, they are only for purchase with real money

there is IP, an in game currency earned from completing matches that are used to get champions, runes, runepages

there is summoner levels, max is 30. Generally everything pre 30 is considered sort of a learning area. However most people after 30 still won't be very good. You gain xp for completing matches
#8DartkunPosted 4/14/2013 3:32:19 PM(edited)
Louisville15 posted...
Ariavoltage posted...

Cosmetic items do not drop, if you don't pay anything you won't have any skins aside infrequent times where Riot gives away promotional skins.

You do have to buy champions to play them, Riot rotates in 10 champions every week from the pool of 112 champions that you can play for free that week, but to unlock champions permanently, you have to buy them with either Influence Points (IP) which are obtained by playing the game or Riot Points (RP) which are obtained by spending money.

The game is NOT set up that expensive champions are better than cheap champions. Many of the lowest priced champions that you can get for playing 2 matches of the game are some of the best.
---
Gamer Logic - Anyone worse is a noob, anyone better is a tryhard /v/irgin
youtube.com/user/Shinius
#9aHappySackaPosted 4/14/2013 3:31:02 PM(edited)
Louisville15 posted...
Ariavoltage posted...

Cosmetic items are just skins and not individual things like what TF2 and Dota 2 have which can only be given away as gifts or purchased with RP.

Champions are free to get with the in-game currency which is called IP, the one that cost real money is called RP.

And yes there is a leveling system so eventually you will unlock more summoner spells, some free RP and face better players if you choose to play PvP (which you should try a little of since the co-op mode against the AI doesn't really teach you anything).
---
You are now blinking and breathing manually.
http://i.imgur.com/j8p5fA8.png