(Jungler) Buying Potions?

#1Kat1184Posted 4/15/2013 8:47:18 AM
I guess I'm just looking for feedback on this one- as I feel like I may be doing something wrong, but hoped for some reinforcement either positive or negative.

I main Jungle, and like to buy a few pots on my trips back, especially early/mid game, maybe even a couple later on situationally. Obviously Machete+5 is the common start, but after that- I see a lot of pro streamers never buy another hp pot on subsequent backs. I tend to spend all (or almost all) of my gold on my early backs. This usually means I'll grab 2x wards and 3-4x pots rather than sit on 250 gold and save it for a long sword.

idk, it works well for my style of play I guess- I play junglers with little/no early innate sustain (ie. Vi) and really like having a few pots to offer longer periods of map presence by having enough hp for healthy ganks after my clears or lane trades. I don't feel like I b nearly as often as pro junglers, so while I may be a longsword behind at a given skirmish- i'm in more skirmishes.

So, other junglers- do you buy a few pots on your first/second/third backs, or just back for a small buy when you start to get low? My assumption is that there are many more gank opportunities at silver elo than there are at pro elo, so it makes more sense for them to just do a clear, buy, rinse, repeat. I feel like even a "fail" gank puts pressure on the map though and I like maintaining that threat as a means to keeping my own laners safer. More pots = more early pressure?
#2Darkyellow327Posted 4/15/2013 8:49:36 AM
Kat1184 posted...
I guess I'm just looking for feedback on this one- as I feel like I may be doing something wrong, but hoped for some reinforcement either positive or negative.

I main Jungle, and like to buy a few pots on my trips back, especially early/mid game, maybe even a couple later on situationally. Obviously Machete+5 is the common start, but after that- I see a lot of pro streamers never buy another hp pot on subsequent backs. I tend to spend all (or almost all) of my gold on my early backs. This usually means I'll grab 2x wards and 3-4x pots rather than sit on 250 gold and save it for a long sword.

idk, it works well for my style of play I guess- I play junglers with little/no early innate sustain (ie. Vi) and really like having a few pots to offer longer periods of map presence by having enough hp for healthy ganks after my clears or lane trades. I don't feel like I b nearly as often as pro junglers, so while I may be a longsword behind at a given skirmish- i'm in more skirmishes.

So, other junglers- do you buy a few pots on your first/second/third backs, or just back for a small buy when you start to get low? My assumption is that there are many more gank opportunities at silver elo than there are at pro elo, so it makes more sense for them to just do a clear, buy, rinse, repeat. I feel like even a "fail" gank puts pressure on the map though and I like maintaining that threat as a means to keeping my own laners safer. More pots = more early pressure?

Don't by potions to just buy them. Buy them only if you are going to have sustain issues.
---
Not changing my sig until Soulja Boy challenges me to a rap battle
#3BenWhoDrownedPosted 4/15/2013 8:49:46 AM
I normally start machete + 5 and buy pots on my first back.
#4EcchiBakaPosted 4/15/2013 8:50:13 AM
I buy it on Sejuani now because she can't really farm jungle without losing tons of HP. I usually carry 2-3 on returns back as well as some wards. I'm hoping the rework she gets sort of tweaks this.
---
LoL: Ecchi Baka/TheGreatestBaka. Give me ecchi manga recommendations!
http://imgur.com/S7xE8s9
#5CosmosYearsPosted 4/15/2013 8:51:46 AM
You always have one pot on you to save you from fights where you get ignited, you get another if you need a tad more sustain from doing a few camps.

Never more than 2 pots ever though. First back you can get two pots, second back just one, on your third back you're strong enough for them to not be relevant.
#6Black_AssassinPosted 4/15/2013 8:52:43 AM
Popping a potion in a fight is basically +150 HP.
Considering how cheap they are, no harm in having 1-2 always in stock.
---
lowercase
#7Hadokenzero11Posted 4/15/2013 8:53:22 AM
When I play Zac and I have some leftover gold from my first back, I'll buy a few pots, unless I need a ward or two. Around when I hit 2k health or Ancient Golem is when I'll stop, because my passive heals for so much. Also, if I'm playing a damage-heavy jungle, (Vi, Riven, etc.) I'll buy pots since I take more damage early. Later on, my clears will be too fast for me to take damage.
---
I will not change my signature until Zone of the Enders 3 is released. Started July 18, 2010
Official Amaterasu of the SMT IV Board.
#8zefigPosted 4/15/2013 8:54:30 AM
I often get some pots on my next two backs, more or less. It's not set in stone.
---
Wii FC: 1686 5820 3040 7075
XBL: PettyAlchemy
#9NicoGrimmPosted 4/15/2013 8:56:21 AM
Onmy first back, i always buy a Spirit Stone and Boots. Then I look at the gold I have elft over, and if I have enough, I get a ward or 2, if not enough for wards, I get a potion.
basically, I try to elave base with as little money as possible.

I found that after the first clear, potions are generally unneeded, but they certainly don't hurt.
---
"So selfish them" would be their cry. And, who'd be brave to argue? Doin' what you people need is never on the menu!
#10Kat1184(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 9:24:02 AM
My jungle is usually:
Farm jungle/gank until I have 750 or more gold, will go back to buy boots and spirit stone, then sink whatever is left into pots/wards
If first gank was successful- I'll farm until I have 1150+ gold. First back then becomes stone+boots+sword+leftovers.

If countered or waste too much time for a non-material gank, I'll get boots+leftovers.

Again, regardless of sustain concerns or not- I feel so good about having 2-3 pots on me in the early game. I can't count how many times I've been at 80% hp and needing to contest dragon or otherwise rush to a fight and being able to heal up to full as I run in, yet still having a pot left for ignite.

idk, I may try using less pots- as i probably do sink an un-needed 100-175 gold into them per game, but if that amount saves even 1 death it becomes a good move and I can always sell them back if I buy them without needing to use.