As an ADC what is considered "OK" to build defensively and when?

#1MrFailPosted 4/18/2013 5:08:14 AM
I don't play a lot of ADC but I recently played trist and bought a warmogs as my third big buy. My team wasn't happy about it. I figured since we had a bulwark, a ton of HP couldn't hurt.

Should I have waited longer for a major defensive buy?
#2wantfastcarsPosted 4/18/2013 5:09:12 AM
Now I make no claims to being a good ADC, but I typically don't buy a defensive item. I go all-out offense and hope/expect my team to keep me alive.
---
Now Playing: BL2, TF2, LoL
i5-3570k | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz RAM | EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW | Asus P8Z77-V LK | Western Digital 7200RPM 1TB HDD
#3elsmittyPosted 4/18/2013 5:10:43 AM
if I'm going to get a defensive item as a adc it'll be a trinity near the end or the game or a frozen mallet or Banshee's Veil if there's a jerk attacking you with stupid magic
---
3ds friend code - 5069-4253-9174
steam profile - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077085301/
#4SteelFighterPosted 4/18/2013 5:10:51 AM
I usually wait till late game and just buy a GA, but it's definitely situational
---
Green Bay Packers, Michigan Wolverines
Go Pack, Go Blue
#5Black_AssassinPosted 4/18/2013 5:11:49 AM
MrFail posted...
Should I have waited longer for a major defensive buy?

If you're getting blown up so soon that you can't reasonably do any damage in teamfights, then by all means get defensive items asap.

Also nothing wrong with Warmogs, especially if their damage was mixed (both phys and mag).

Other good items include QSS; Banshee's veil, Randuin and Guardian Angel.
---
lowercase
#6Rising ChaosPosted 4/18/2013 5:52:23 AM
I'm not a fan of GA since it got nerfed hard unless you have a ton of HP backing it up, which you won't if it's your only defensive item. Still has its uses, though. Warmog's has been nerfed so many times I don't imagine many scenarios where I'm buying it over Frozen Mallet anymore.

Depending on team comp, you may not even need a defensive item. Tristana in particular is the safest lategame carry innately, having both a jump and a targeted (and AoE) knockback along with the largest range.
---
"Pokey and the man."
#7BreezyExcursionPosted 4/18/2013 5:59:00 AM
If they have assassins and I have enough damage to at least kill them when they fail to kill me, I go warmogs.
---
http://13.media.tumblr.com/KHq2DuneQq2smt6o5AI9le13o1_400.jpg
#8thecrossnkightPosted 4/18/2013 6:00:11 AM
Typically you get it after you get 3 damage items.

Like on trist, I'll go BotRK -> IE -> LW -> Def item -> PD

Sometimes you can delay it, sometimes you might want to buy some of it early (Like a giants belt after part of IE or something).

My preference

If enemy team has AD assassin -> Randuins > Warmogs > Frozen Mallet > GA
If enemy team has burst AP -> Warmogs >Frozen Mallet > Banshees > GA
If enemy team is poke/sustained(AP) GA > Warmogs > Frozen Mallet > Banshees
---
What do you do when faced with two choices? Simply toss a coin. It works because in that brief time that the coin is in the air you know what you're hoping for.
#9PhoenixNinePosted 4/18/2013 6:15:06 AM
Warmog - particularly good if you also have some kind of defensive steroid, such as True Grit. Extends your life in battle.

GA - few seconds of invulnerability, primarily used to counter burst you can't avoid as the ADC (such as a good Zed combo).

QSS/Scimitar - Remove all those stuns/Morde ult/suppresses/Ignite etc. Basically an ultra-Cleanse. I'd always get this item as the ADC.

Randuin - an alternative to Warmog vs heavy AD.
---
~Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.~
#10monkey_man0Posted 4/18/2013 6:17:34 AM
You should not be looking to buy a defensive item until after your LW (in most cases). What you buy is situational, look at what champions will/are diving you every fight and build to survive them. For example, if you have a zed diving you every fight, warmogs and randuins are both good options. All of the defensive items are situationally useful, and outside of thornmail, you can probably find a case where one would be better than another, so think your purchase through a bit. Sometimes, the best choice will be to skip any defenses whatsoever, this is especially the case against heavy sustained damage teams (champions such as singed, ryze, karthus, etc.) - where your best choice may be a second lifesteal item.
---
I own a computer!