Mana vs. Mana Regen -- Does this affect how you build a champ?

#1HMandACFanPosted 4/20/2013 12:09:05 AM
Just curious to people's answers here. A lot of the times, we build similar champs the same way for the same role (Rabadon's for all AP carries; Sightstone for all supports, etc.) but does the factor of which of the 2 stats (mana or mana regen) is better for the champ affect what you build, or do you just care it has one of the 2? Let me give some examples. Champions like Karthus and Maokai use a lot of mana in battle, but not a lot to farm. Champions like Zyra and Alistar use a lot of mana to farm, but not a lot in battle. Does this alone affect how you build them?
---
Currently Playing: Civilizzation V (PC), League of Legends IGN: MeltedWater
#2aHappySackaPosted 4/20/2013 12:32:05 AM
It all just depends on how quickly the tear can be stacked that indicates whether it's practical to get or not, otherwise a chalice is usually better.

Only the most mana heavy champs like Anivia can get both, or Nidalaa who is versatile and can either route.
---
You are now blinking and breathing manually.
http://i.imgur.com/j8p5fA8.png
#3Master Of The DeadPosted 4/20/2013 5:20:37 AM
Of course it does. People like Ryze, Karthus, Anivia and Nidalee all want to go for high mana pools, rather than regen.
---
Gamertag: Dayy Hughes ~~~~~ Summoner Name (LoL EUW): Arcanine -----www.youtube.com/DayyHughes
http://i.imgur.com/jcW29.gif
#4natchu96Posted 4/20/2013 5:28:13 AM
The champions who stick around for long periods of time need the sustain, and would probably go for regen. A bigger mana pool, though, is better for spam.
---
"Luna, I'm afraid he's right. You can't go around calling people that, even if in this case it appears to be the truth." - Sena
#5iXCelticXiPosted 4/20/2013 5:30:55 AM
Both. Because screw doing damage.
---
LoL IGN: Greedy
#6Doc_HellraiserPosted 4/20/2013 5:35:23 AM
The advantage of building just more mana than mana regen is when you play somebody who can farm up a tear to full easily thus benefiting from more mana as it synergizes with his archangel's staff. Karthus, Ryze, Swain, Nidalee and a few other can do that as they have low cooldown and low mana spammable spells. Ryze's damage scales with max mana so its better to have more of it, swain's ult triggers tear +mana while it's activated, nid can pounce a tear, karthus has q etc.

If you run oom easily but have long cooldowns and high mana costs making farming a tear impractical chalice is better. Hence it's better on zyra, lux, ziggs, xerath, orianna and quite a few other champions.
---
Still waiting for: Half-life 2: episode 3, Wasteland 2.
#7RajamicPosted 4/20/2013 6:43:07 AM
Nope. If they need more mana, I always build mana regen either through Tear -> Arcangel/Manamue (which admittedly gives a ton of mana as well) or Athene's.
#8ryanaPosted 4/20/2013 6:44:57 AM
If you have high mana cost spells that burn up all your mana in teamfights you want a high mana pool. If you have low mana spammable spells that slowly drain your mana all the time, you want regen.