What is the goal of the jungler in LoL?

#1Stanemac12Posted 4/22/2013 12:06:25 PM
I come from dota (flame away), and because of that I have my own perceived idea of what the jungler does, but I'm assuming its quite different in this. I rarely see it in my games because we're pretty low level, but I really want to pick up jungling and try my hand at it, but before I do I want a very clear idea of what my goal is as a jungler.

Am I meant to be afk farming the jungle for the first 20 minutes and then cominFg out as a beast that dominates fights? Do I want to go through the jungle and kill what I can but mostly look for gank opportunities in lanes? Some mix of them? Basically what should I be focusing on, what is my role to the team as a jungler? What should and shouldn't I be doing as a jungle champ?
#2Herostratus_Posted 4/22/2013 12:10:27 PM
Very few junglers are farm heavy right now, simply because laning is more lucrative. Champs are usually used in the jungle because they can gank well, or because their laning phase is bad in most cases and they have easy clear.
---
LoL IGN: Yossarian42
#3mrmonstrPosted 4/22/2013 12:16:06 PM
Your goal is to help your team get the best possible result from laning phase. This means ganking and generally aiding lanes. I consider the main reason to be killing jungle creeps is to keep up in experience and gold. Getting buffs is also very important.

1: Help the lanes
2: Farm jungle
3: Get buffs to aid ganks/farm
---
LoL (EU West): mrmonstr (25)
LoL (NA): mrmonstrNA (2)
#4TruHNIC187Posted 4/22/2013 12:16:44 PM
You want to secure your red and blue buffs whenever their up, usually giving blue away, red later, as well as look for opportunities to do the following :

Gank, Countergank, Counterjungle, Help a struggling lane. Just make your presence known man, and make them think twice before making any risky plays because you could be right there.

Also, farm jungle when nothing is open, because you don't wanna fall too far behind in your levels. That's bad news
#5Black_AssassinPosted 4/22/2013 12:17:59 PM
- Enabling a solo lane
- Utilizing the exp and gold from jungle monsters
- Buff & objective control (with smite)
- Ganking (and counterganking)
- Counterjungling

Can't think of more at the moment.
---
lowercase
#6BlocktopusPosted 4/22/2013 12:18:58 PM
Secure objectives, buy wards, gank ****.

easy.
---
http://i.imgur.com/f09dfvV.jpg
#7centurion911Posted 4/22/2013 12:19:35 PM
It honestly depends on the jungler.

Some junglers get ahead by ganking.

Others get ahead by counterjungling and shutting down the opposing jungler.

Some focus on getting big objectives (like Dragon) while ganking as a close secondary.
---
Resident Zac, Vlad, Malphite, Zed, Irelia, and Rumble player
#8SeaIntoTheSkyPosted 4/22/2013 12:20:23 PM
When you just start to jungle the most important things to become aware of are controlling of Buffs and Lanes. You'll want to help your lanes get advantages through ganking the enemies.

Since the small camps do not offer as much gold and experience as the two large buff camps, the ones that give you the Blessing of the Lizard Elder(Red buff) or Crest of the Ancient Golem(Blue buff) there is much less importance on them. This means that most of the time you will clear a few small camps, while taking the two buff camps most of the time as soon as you can. Then proceeding to gank lanes. If you get kills through ganking it puts you way ahead.

If one of your lanes has to go back to base you will also want to look to hold or stay in that lane for EXP and CS(Creep score) since the small camps pale in comparison to the lane EXP and lane minion gold.

If you need more specific information you can check out the link below.
Sections 2.5 and 2.6 will teach you how to jungle, builds, routes and how to gank
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/65755711

Hope this helps^^
#9centurion911Posted 4/22/2013 12:25:52 PM
Also, you should take the first blue and red buff. As long as laning phase is going on you should (usually) take red buff to help your ganks.

If your mid is one that uses mana, 2nd blue buff and every blue buff after that goes to him UNLESS they're going to lose it as soon as they get into lane (due to their opposing laner killing them)
---
Resident Zac, Vlad, Malphite, Zed, Irelia, and Rumble player
#10SalvatorePosted 4/22/2013 12:34:54 PM
Jungling is actually mainly about the early- and mid-game. The jungle is much less threatening and more predictable than in DotA2, but is not as rewarding as a lane would be.

Usually, you start be killing Wolves and Blue Buff with help from laners (who, hopefully, back off before you kill the mobs in order to not steal gold or exp from you). From there you can either continue clearing for a while or, on some junglers, immediately move in to gank a lane at level 2 for a massively demoralising early first blood. From there, your objectives depend on which jungler you are, again. You want to help your laners gain or compound advantages, keep your buffs secure for your own team (normally giving blue buff to a mana/cooldown dependent mage who will normally be playing mid, and by late-game giving red buff to your AD carry), and secure Dragon and Baron whenever relevant with Smite. Whenever you're not doing something more important, you should be clearing your jungle for gold/exp, counter-jungling, warding, all that good stuff.

By late-game, you would normally transition into an initiator/tank, but that varies as well (Fiddlesticks will never be a tank, for example).

I recommend that you start learning to jungle on champions such as Nasus (time your Q to kill the big minion in every pack with it for +6 damage for all subsequent Qs, stacking), Warwick (who's not that great at the higher end, but he is easy to clear even before you have runes and masteries), Fiddlesticks (weird style, but quite easy again) and Xin Zhao (very easy, very powerful, and really forces you to make your presence known early).
---
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.