Odd topic, what to do about my friends who I play with.... their attitude...

#11Ravid182(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 9:40:16 AM
Covenant posted...
This isn't a phase. This game has broken them and you need to move on and find people who aren't awful to play with.

You know that is probably what has happened..... It just was kinda hard for me to accept considering I played this game such a longer time than them.
#12justcusimasianPosted 4/24/2013 9:42:17 AM
Out of curiosity, do these friends of yours mostly play single-player or compstomp games (outside of LoL of course)? Their mentality of "as soon as you start losing, you've lost" seems indicative of 1p games where you can just restart from a checkpoint if you didn't get that proper score or achievement.

Speaking of score, that might be worth talking to them about. The K/D score you see isn't always the best representation of how the game is going, when income is more important. If you're down a few kills, remind them of that early drag you got and that another is coming soon, or of all the enemy wards that have been taken down, that most of their deaths were carries whereas most of your teams' deaths were support/jungle, etc etc.
#13The-World-SevenPosted 4/24/2013 10:01:44 AM
To be honest, the same thing has happened to me and I stopped playing the game with most of my friends. Now the only time I play is with my IRL friend who is super bad at the game, but my attitude is way more chill now. I still talk to the other friends that I used to play with, but they just play games with other people who actually want to get better.
---
My Hubris is bigger than yours.
#14HyrulexplorerPosted 4/24/2013 10:25:46 AM
It's too bad your friends are so into being number one they can't accept when things go their way, no matter how slight the loss is. You've been given some good advice on how to approach this, follow it. I'm also glad with GameFAQs so far at being reasonable and helpful instead of calling this a 'cool story' and moving on.

Comeback games do exist, I've played in a few. Maybe on top of using LoLReplay to analyze mistakes your team's own mistakes, you can find unrelated games where comebacks happen, from as little as a 2-kill trail to all inhibs and turrets down. If they're willing to watch those and say hey, we can do that, you're on the right track. Getting them to see and admit that comebacks are possible could do a world of good.

If they are too set in their ways though, then yes, if you want to be able to enjoy the game fully and still try to win in any given situation, it may be time to move on and expand your friend list. Don't give up on them yet, try what's been suggested, but do keep this in mind.

Yeah, there are a lot of ragers and trolls on LoL, but you can find good people as well. I speak from experience, I usually don't like to play without friends, and solo queue games can be entirely random, but when you do meet someone reasonable and friendly, it's a great feeling.
---
"Ironically, the word mature when applied to games tends to have a very childish connotation." -Erik J. Caponi of Bethesda Softworks
#15Ravid182(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 12:24:19 PM
justcusimasian posted...
Out of curiosity, do these friends of yours mostly play single-player or compstomp games (outside of LoL of course)? Their mentality of "as soon as you start losing, you've lost" seems indicative of 1p games where you can just restart from a checkpoint if you didn't get that proper score or achievement.

You know this is actually a smart observation where I even have a humorous story behind somewhat lol. Well these friends[ and I probably make fun of them for it more than I should] mostly just play runescape other than this game XD [I played runescape for a few months... like ten years ago.... yuck] but even then they all cheat .

And by cheat I mean with bots. THEY ALL BOT.

My oldest friend I have mentioned, he really only Bots and nothing else. He just bots and sells his gold to make like 30 real dollars a week in gold lol [I would like to point out I personally find botting or even gold selling in MMOs rather despicable].

That oldest friend he used to play a few MMOs here and there through the years, and the odd single player game [he used to be rather competitive in BC WoW PvP it sounds like] but other than that not really.

I have actually played some games here and there with them, like we played terraria till we finished pretty much everything in it.

Recently... and this is the the funny part I think.. I got a couple of them torchlight 2 on steam cause long story I ended up having a few extra copies so gifted them so we could play. One of my friends [the one who I was teaching how to play but after a few months rages non stop, which he used to never (he used to be able to laugh and enjoy his mistakes, then learn from them!)] was playing a mage in that game. A bit more of a squishy character, so he would die a bit here and there. AND HE RAGED as much as in league I couldn't believe it. He was so angry I couldn't even believe it. The death penalty in Torchlight 2 is almost non existent. But he was getting so angry and frustrated [where he otherwise enjoyed the game] any time he died.

Like beyond any normal amount. Was kinda scary almost.

And once again, he used to not be like this, he would laugh and learn from his mistakes and we all had fun.

Yeah and you guys have given great advice! I will take it all to heart. I am rather impressed with gamefaqs and what has been said for this oddball topic. I honestly expected just harassment and trolls when I posted this. Thanks again guys.
#16CovenantPosted 4/24/2013 4:07:11 PM
Hyrulexplorer posted...
It's too bad your friends are so into being number one they can't accept when things go their way, no matter how slight the loss is.

They aren't into being number one. They're into feeling like they're number one. They don't want to be good at the game, they just want to win.

That's why they surrender at the first sign of a loss. They just want to roll the dice and hope matchmaking sets them up with a team that is worse than them this time.

These people aren't worth associating with. They are trash and will continue to be trash in every aspect of their lives so long as they keep this attitude.
#17The-World-SevenPosted 4/24/2013 4:26:59 PM
Covenant posted...
Hyrulexplorer posted...
It's too bad your friends are so into being number one they can't accept when things go their way, no matter how slight the loss is.

They aren't into being number one. They're into feeling like they're number one. They don't want to be good at the game, they just want to win.

That's why they surrender at the first sign of a loss. They just want to roll the dice and hope matchmaking sets them up with a team that is worse than them this time.

These people aren't worth associating with. They are trash and will continue to be trash in every aspect of their lives so long as they keep this attitude.

Mayhaps they have the spirit of a Shining Warrior; if they cannot win without breaking a sweat, then they do not deserve to win.

My ranked team is like that and ezreally fun.
---
My Hubris is bigger than yours.
#18HyperShadow4321Posted 4/24/2013 4:47:13 PM
They need to understand that when it comes down to it, it is still only a game. If you aren't having fun then it isn't serving its purpose. This is also the kind of game where you will NEVER get to a point where you win every match you play. I know people that have been playing for a good long time and they still get bad matchups and have awful games from time to time. That's just how it is with competitive games like this.

I tend to play with premade 4s/5s a lot with IRL friends, and sometimes we'll have epic games and sometimes we'll have games where we get completely stomped. It's just part of the game. You just brush it off, consider where you can improve, and move on.

Also sounds like your friends need to learn when a game is and isn't hopeless. If the enemy team is around your level still and only has a few kills on you, then things can still work out. If they're all 2-3 levels higher than you and have a significant kill lead, then often times I'll just opt to throw in the towel rather than continue to play a losing game.
#19Ravid182(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 5:41:47 AM
thanks all!
#20infinitexxPosted 4/26/2013 5:53:27 AM
1) Stop playing league.
2) Tell them you're going to stop playing league, but really just stop playing with them.
3) Just start playing with other people without saying anything.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1