Tips for stepping up my game; more roles or less champions? Pro advice welcome!!

#1Walker_RealPosted 4/24/2013 7:50:50 AM
Hey there, I was wondering if there was a good way to improve your skills.

Generally, I do very well with a champion 2-3 games in a row, then I add them to my champion bank so I can play them in ranked.

Here's an example; Diana. I got 3 wins in a row with her in the jungle, then said "okay I got her, time to learn some more".

So, I came back to Diana today and failed miserably.

Here's my questions; I'm getting ready for ranked and I'm wondering; which strategy works best?

1) Playing one role many times in a row (or maybe 2)

2) Playing one champion in any role many times in a row

3) Playing one champion at the role you are given every time

I can't tell the difference between playing one champion a wasteful amount of times, and spreading myself too thin so I can't flawlessly remember to play a champ.
#2Final_HatsamuPosted 4/24/2013 7:53:32 AM
4) Play Draft or even Normals until you're good enough at every lane with a handful of champions.
---
M-8 "I turn the tide, by choosing to abide"
1Cross + 3Nails = 4given
#3Walker_Real(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 7:54:34 AM
Actually, these are the strats I'm considering

1) Chose 1 mid, 1 adc, 1 support, 1 top, 1 jungle. Play whatever role, that 1 champion.

2) Chose 2-3 champions and 1-2 roles. For instance, jungle/mid Fiddle and Diana

3) Play 1 champion over and over again till I'm sickwit it.
#4Walker_Real(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 7:56:50 AM
The only character I'd say I've max level mastered is Katarina.

I'm an "all or nothing" player, I really don't do well unless I'm snowballing.

I'm usually 1-2 K:D ratio, or 15-0. It's because I suck at being defensive and I like going all in too much. So half my games I'm dominating, the other half I'm struggling to be useful.
#5xRustySpoonPosted 4/24/2013 7:58:52 AM
In lower divisions, especially in placement matches, its all about how well you do in lane. Having only 1 designated champion for each role might work at first, but you run the risk of getting banned out or having the enemy team pick that champion before you get a chance.

It's a balancing act. Play what you're good at, but find the time to play other champions and see if you can expand your pool.
---
Get dumpstered.
LoL/Steam: xRustySpoon Follow these tips and you'll be fraggin' like a pro.
#6Walker_Real(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 8:01:46 AM
RustySpoon,

When you first entered ranked how many roles / champions did you play,

And around how many wins?

I have 200 wins, but coming from DotA I'd say I have much more experience than the average moba player.

I have friends with 700+ wins who are around the same skill level.
#7easymodexzPosted 4/24/2013 8:12:13 AM
Play normals (blind or draft) until you are proficient with at least 3 champs each in 3 roles.

You don't really need to be good at 5 roles. Just tell your team you can only play those 3 roles immediately on champ select.

Three champs is a good number. Try to make them different styles in the same role. This way you have 2 options if one gets banned, and can tailor your pick for the matchup.

For every champ in your pool, go to probuilds.net and look up the builds and masteries that they use for those champs.

Not saying to copy them, but pay attention and think about why they do what they do. Some of that is useful to copy for 'yoloqueue' ranked, some maybe not.

Also, if you really want to win in ranked, then play a normal game before you play ranked to get warmed up. Also, practice detailed mechanics on your champs in a bot game or 3. If you forget to use a Zhonya, keep buying it in bot games until you use it out of habit.

Also, make sure you have full rune sets and pre-planned masteries before going into champ select.
#8xRustySpoonPosted 4/24/2013 8:12:39 AM
RustySpoon,

I have 200 wins, but coming from DotA I'd say I have much more experience than the average moba player.

I've been playing this game for almost 2 years, so I have an embarrassing amount of normal wins. I'll play any role that I feel I can carry with. I defaulted to top and jungle in most of the lower level games, but I played mid in all 3 of my Plat promotion wins. I'll also play ADC, and I've been lucky enough to only have to support once (it was a 4v5 game so we lost).

The biggest tip I can give to people who are newer, and this applies especially to ranked, is to not get disheartened at losses. Frustration is normal, but think of ranked as a place to improve yourself, not gain Elo.
---
Get dumpstered.
LoL/Steam: xRustySpoon Follow these tips and you'll be fraggin' like a pro.
#9Walker_Real(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 8:15:54 AM
Good advice. I also just received this advice from my friend.

-Just go into ranked and fail. It doesn't matter, you'll learn to play faster. My first season was season 1, my win-loss was like 40-100. Then in season 2 I hit diamond and had a great record.
Your first season entering ranked will be bad but it will wiped, so give a couple less ****s.
#10easymodexzPosted 4/24/2013 8:20:07 AM

I'll randomly insert an answer and say that I had played over 1k games and 600 wins when I first played ranked.

That's because I started playing LoL before ranked existed.

DotA experience would have been relevant 2 years ago, but at this point the "average LoL player" has 600+ wins in over 1k games, and is more familiar with the LoL meta than you.

Wins don't matter, but that is good because it increases the chance that you'll adapt to the LoL meta nuances more quickly, if your friends are any good.

If you really want a confidence boost on whether or not you're "ready" for ranked, then keep "tryharding" in normals until you start seeing many players with gold borders on the loading screen. Then lolking your opponents to see what their ranked rating is. When your solo queue elo (hidden) gets to a point where you're consistently matched against non-bads, then hop into ranked.

Just make sure you mega-tryhard your first 10 ranked games though (e.g. if there's any sign of a loss, leave champ select and eat a 30m ban). You want to absolutely ensure wins to avoid 'elo hell'.

Watching the LCS is also generally useful to see some of the strats. Keep in mind that many of those don't work in ranked solo queue because they require teamwork. But the reasoning behind the strats can help in ranked solo.