What do you do against a hard counter in blind pick?

#1BlazeAssassinPosted 4/25/2013 2:04:02 PM
I assume in the main mode in ranked with bans you can just pick someone that can match up well or ban a counter. But in blind pick lets say I pick a mid that gets hard countered by their mid. What is the general course of action to still make the most of things?
#29tailedphoenixPosted 4/25/2013 2:07:46 PM
Try not to feed. Ward. Call MIA's. Ward. Take his tower/follow when he roams. Play safe in lane. Call for ganks. Ward.
---
patent pending
#3FlareZeroPosted 4/25/2013 2:13:14 PM
Play safe unless you can outplay the other person. That, or play draft normals instead.
---
You like it or you don't, but i hate people saying it's 'an acquired taste." That's just a cop out. - bookwormbabe29 on beer.
#4xSighxPosted 4/25/2013 2:18:42 PM
Outplay them.

A hard counter is only a hard counter if you play the champion like an idiot and allow your opponent to shut you down.

Example: I'm Katarina, you're Diana. You think "oh cool i can just interrupt your ultimate with E gg I win lane"

Then I spam my abilities on you for free and juke every skillshot with my instant speed blink, forcing you to burn through mana.

Then I gank you and since your only escape requires an enemy target, you have nothing to retreat to.

Now, I will say, if Katarina commits all-in, diana WILL win.

Kat's QEW doesn't do much against Diana's Shield, and diana's auto attacks and QR will completely out trade Kat. If Kat ever tries to ult, E will stop that source of damage.
Unless Kat is really far ahead, she should not ever really win a 1v1 all-in assuming Diana's got a decent health bar.

But that's the thing about hard counters. Hard counters are only hard counters if you GET COUNTERED BY THEM. Why fight diana 1v1 as kat? you won't win. Go gank a sidelane and kill everyone else instead, dummy. Don't just stay in lane till level 13 getting zoned and dying every 2 minutes because you 'want to check if your items are good enough to kill her yet'.
#5arys75Posted 4/25/2013 2:24:58 PM
Cry.
#6hawkeye2188Posted 4/25/2013 2:26:58 PM
Could offer up a lane swap but in normals that may be hard to come by, do what pretty much everyone else said play safe, try not to feed and hope your jungler can feed you a little.
---
GT: hawkeye2188
#7BlazeAssassin(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 2:28:33 PM
Thanks for the tips so far. The specific example I had in mind was where I was karthas and went up against a leblanc mid and had no idea what to expect. I played it as I normally would have, trying to get as much farm as I could, but she could very easily jump in on me with her nukes and then blink away to safety before I could trade. After getting completely outlaned by her, we ended up losing. I didn't over commit to anything, I play really defensively, and she only killed me once, but I ended up getting very poor farm and didn't have much impact on the rest of the game as a result. After that I read up and found that leblanc counters karthas pretty hard so I just wasn't sure what I really could have done differently to do better. It was obvious she knew she had an advantage and she just walked all over me in lane.
#8aHappySackaPosted 4/25/2013 2:30:34 PM
To deal with a hard counter all you need to do is pick someone uncounterable like Morgana, Cho'Gath, Gragas or maybe Kassadin.
---
You are now blinking and breathing manually.
http://i.imgur.com/j8p5fA8.png
#9xSighxPosted 4/25/2013 2:40:52 PM
BlazeAssassin posted...
Thanks for the tips so far. The specific example I had in mind was where I was karthas and went up against a leblanc mid and had no idea what to expect. I played it as I normally would have, trying to get as much farm as I could, but she could very easily jump in on me with her nukes and then blink away to safety before I could trade. After getting completely outlaned by her, we ended up losing. I didn't over commit to anything, I play really defensively, and she only killed me once, but I ended up getting very poor farm and didn't have much impact on the rest of the game as a result. After that I read up and found that leblanc counters karthas pretty hard so I just wasn't sure what I really could have done differently to do better. It was obvious she knew she had an advantage and she just walked all over me in lane.

To be honest, LB sort of hard counters everyone. She's a really stupid champion because even people who don't play with any game sense of finesse can still go 9/0 because idiots don't ward and she can easily roam and pick up multikills.
Best way to beat leblanc is to push as hard as you can. she has no aoe clear, so she can't keep waves off her turret very easily.

and build early mr so that you can actually farm and not get one shotted every time you auto attack a creep.
#10FreshSushiPosted 4/25/2013 3:14:18 PM
Win anyways cause my blind pick elo is 0.
---
Hidetaka Miyazaki, Shinji Mikami
Please come back Q_Q