I'm the guy who is scared to play normals

#1breakfastramenPosted 4/26/2013 1:30:44 PM
Blog post incoming:

Seriously, I can feel my heart rate spiking every time I queue for a normal. Maybe it's because I've played bots so long, but doing normals now feels like it's a ranked gametype or something.

They're feeling a lot less scary after the past two games though. Hilariously enough, my main worry/complaint was the lack of communication and the fact that I like being a cooperative helpful player. So hateful talk from my own teammates will feel way worse to me than a bad loss. The reason this is hilarious is that I've realized that it is much easier on me in the game if I stop picking support roles and champs based on teamwork utility, and start being a little more selfish. Last two games enemy surrendered, and last game they did so even though our ADC was AFK for a good chunk of time when team fights started.

But hey, it turns out that no one wards (aside from me, even when I'm top) and no one coordinates, so I'm free to selfishly pick a champ I think I can do well with, and just screw the meta and take the champ wherever there's an open space. The upshot of this is that my style of play is rather cautious, so I now don't really feed since I'm no longer playing Lulu and trying to save an ADC with worse farming skills than me. Instead, I either get kills or win trades or escape but never trigger teammate rage. That right there takes away one of my fears of playing normals.

So yeah, hopefully the past few wins I've had indicate a trend of much better performance from me if I'm a bruiser. If so, I'll just stick with that for awhile and just hope that I can keep winning and maybe get matched someday with a team who will help me ward and communicate. Until then, I'll just get cozy with Jax.
#2Walker_RealPosted 4/26/2013 1:36:01 PM
It is because you're low level.

Your team will be better at 30, don't get me wrong it will still be awful, but you're at a stage where meta really doesn't matter.

You could take two bruisers bot and make a kill lane and still come out successful as long as they don't have a super hard carry who knows what they're doing, in which case you're screwed either way.
#3breakfastramen(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 1:48:47 PM
Walker_Real posted...
It is because you're low level.

Your team will be better at 30, don't get me wrong it will still be awful, but you're at a stage where meta really doesn't matter.

You could take two bruisers bot and make a kill lane and still come out successful as long as they don't have a super hard carry who knows what they're doing, in which case you're screwed either way.

That's what I'm starting to realize. I probably should have just said it much more briefly than I did. The thing is, I do still crave teamwork and communication. I fully expect to just get wrecked hard every now and then by a skilled player or good team comp or a team that actually coordinates. But that will just..."happen" on occasion at my low skill level. The great thing is that once I hit 30, or once I start playing with people who will want to work together and actually be able to take advantage of the meta, I will have NO PROBLEM playing unpopular roles like Support and being bossed around. I seriously have no pride, and I would in fact prefer it that way. So once it is no longer viable for me to be selfish, I won't rage...I'll just adjust, and welcome the change with open arms.

Fog of war still scares the living crap out of me though. I hate being able to only afford so many wards while still keeping my build ahead of the enemy, since a couple of wards every back really doesn't do much in terms of map vision. It's perfectly adequate during laning phase, since I can keep warded enough to see ganks coming, but during the roaming phase, it freaks me out when I need to travel down the river and try to take Dragon or something.
#4aHappySackaPosted 4/26/2013 1:50:55 PM
Sounds like you're a wimp, you have to man up and get laid first before you do manly things and stop being a wimp.
---
You are now blinking and breathing manually.
http://i.imgur.com/j8p5fA8.png
#5ryanaPosted 4/26/2013 2:07:27 PM
Walker_Real posted...

This works in higher levels too.
#6breakfastramen(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 2:55:14 PM
aHappySacka posted...
Sounds like you're a wimp, you have to man up and get laid first before you do manly things and stop being a wimp.

Yup, when it comes to normals, I'm extremely wimpy. Like I said, I prefer cooperation more and I don't have a competitive killer instinct. I'll own up to that completely. As to the other thing...I'm married, so I'm pretty sure I've got it covered. Thank you for your concern, though.
#7Eclypse9810Posted 4/26/2013 3:04:16 PM
Sounds like me while laddering in SC2. In LoL, I can just blame the jungle and get on without a sweat, SC2 I can't blame anyone if I lose.
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
#8breakfastramen(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 3:22:18 PM
Eclypse9810 posted...
Sounds like me while laddering in SC2. In LoL, I can just blame the jungle and get on without a sweat, SC2 I can't blame anyone if I lose.

In plywood elo (where I am), there's no jungler to blame. There isn't even support unless I choose that, but traditional support doesn't work down here because ADCs can't farm well enough to take advantage. You need someone to tank and be able to deal damage.

I blame myself for losses. There are situations where I might say teammate actions put us in a big hole, but I've seen too much pointless raging on this and other forums. If I want better teammates, I'll have to improve myself first.
#9HHUK2K01Posted 4/26/2013 4:05:35 PM
I stopped playing ranked and normals a long time ago, got in to the bot routine because my friends were new to the game and whenever I went back to normal I found a lot of toxic players and it put me off, I'd find myself getting too nervous to play because all people ever do is blame.

Then one of my friends was too scared to play normals, so I pointed out to them that ranked matters and normals are just for practice. I got back in to normals and started to realise most toxic players can blame others but they're usually just as bad as the people they're bullying, lack of warding, lack of map awareness, etc.

Start to focus on your own game and communicate with your friends and the game becomes bearable.

Now I'm back into ranked and toxicity has dropped a bit, if someone is an idiot or moaning I'll feel free to point out what they've done wrong, how they can do better. Counter toxics with logic and the rest of your team will back you up if they have sense.
#10thedarklordx3Posted 4/27/2013 6:29:17 PM
in blind normals, you'll most likely only play people with autism and people trying out new things(who therefor aren't going to do well) so you can do whatever, with whoever, wherever, against whatever

in draft normals your team stops being stupid and actually attempts to pretend they know what they're doing, so you'll have 1 top 1 jungler 1 mid 1 support 1 adc and they'll all pick appropriate champions and fill in missing roles
---
League of Legends IGN: devilkingx - add me and play with me
Official Raichu of the pokemon X and Y boards