Is the meta so deeply imbedded in this game?

#1crichards888Posted 4/27/2013 8:04:47 PM
Just played a casual normal 5v5 SR game, felt like playing Malphite. My 4 teammates (which now I'm guessing they were friends or something) picked Ahri (AP mid), Darius(solo top), Hecarim (jungle) and Ezreal (ADC).

Them: "pick support"
Me: picked Malphite
Them: OMFG really? report this clown etc. etc.

They were abusive as hell, and at the end they said I was getting a stack of reports for ruining the game. I mean, seriously? I can't even play the champ I want without this crap? It was a close game overall, MAYBE we would have won if I went Sona or something, but I felt like Malphite.

Are people just blowing the current "meta" way out of proportion? Or are the roles so damn rigid that I could possibly get banned for this? I'm not really concerned about a ban, just seeing what you guys think of the current "metagame".
#2LaveronxPosted 4/27/2013 8:06:31 PM
The metagame is there because people are familiar with it and it works.

Getting a group of strangers to carve out a brand new strategy without practice is very difficult, hence the meta.
---
Story of my life: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/367svi/
LoL IGN: Laveron
#3xSighxPosted 4/27/2013 8:07:05 PM
People ARE stubborn about the meta, and if you're going to be stubborn about not adhering to it, even if you're good enough to pull it off, don't be surprised when people get irritated.

I mean I've seen jungle heimerdingers go 2/0/1 before I was level 6. Doesn't mean I want one on my team late game.
#4zeppelin312Posted 4/27/2013 8:07:40 PM
the meta is still constantly shfiting in small increments, but overall basic lane archetypes are slightly more rigid, shifting only after long stretches of time, if ever again.
#5NicoGrimmPosted 4/27/2013 8:11:42 PM
The meta is there because, at the moment, it's the best possible setup.

And, considering the fact that you're playing with 4 other people, you're the one that's wrong here. Just because you believe that the meta is wrong, or whatever, does not mean that you're allowed to ruin someone else's game.

Now, if your team's agreed to just forget the meta and do whatever, go ahead, have fun. But if it's 4 against 1? Please stop ruining the game for other people.
---
How dare the Gods work against me! I don't remember giving them permission.
#6earth angelPosted 4/27/2013 8:15:55 PM
But then the question is, why ruin the game for yourself just to adhere to other people? If you want to play Malphite for a game, why should you not be allowed? Especially in an unranked 5v5. While I could see an argument in ranked matches, I think it is stupid to tell someone they aren't allowed to play someone they like in a game the counts for... nothing really.
---
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LumB6aTbww0/S80M2v-0CaI/AAAAAAAAAC4/cUbLwQhi9MA/%20c3.gif http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t204/chief413/1273202888691.gif
#7NicoGrimmPosted 4/27/2013 8:18:28 PM
Play with friends?
It's what I do, and we mess around with stuff all the time.
Just please don't make a stranger waste 40 minutes of their time because you refuse to follow the rules.

if you want to play malphite, go top, or even jungle. He needs too many items, and more importantly, levels to be a good support.
---
#8crichards888(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 8:18:46 PM
NicoGrimm posted...
The meta is there because, at the moment, it's the best possible setup.

And, considering the fact that you're playing with 4 other people, you're the one that's wrong here. Just because you believe that the meta is wrong, or whatever, does not mean that you're allowed to ruin someone else's game.

Now, if your team's agreed to just forget the meta and do whatever, go ahead, have fun. But if it's 4 against 1? Please stop ruining the game for other people.

See, this is the logic I can't really wrap my head around. I didn't actively even "ruin" the game. I let Ez get CS, I tried securing kills/harassing with Shard and my ult. I even built support-y items. Didn't stop these guys from harassing the bejeezus out of me.

I felt like playing Malphite. So I played him, if playing a character I want is enough to "ruin a game for 4 people" then it just seems to me that the metagame is flawed. Maybe I'm just done with this nonsense.
#9ccaad5Posted 4/27/2013 8:21:48 PM
I mean... did you say anything? Like "hey folks, I'd like to play Malphite this game. Any chance top/jungle would be willing to switch?"

Y'know, communication?

And yes, the meta is kind of a big deal to most people once you hit a point where people know what they're doing because it's pretty well established as the best way to do things. Even something like Malphite support can be problematic because he doesn't really bring a lot to lane as a support and Malphite without money for items is basically a non-entity outside of his ult.

I get wanting to play a particular role or champion, but that game wasn't the time. There's always next game. Or talking to people. Or playing with friends or... really anything other than just refusing to communicate and whining about the "meta."
---
("o0o") My metroid thinks you are stupid. People who
..v...v disagree with metroids often get sucked dry.
#10NicoGrimmPosted 4/27/2013 8:22:10 PM
Because OTHER supports do it better? Not to mention that, again, he's very item,and level dependent, and has very high mana costs which don;t allow you to spam your abilities.
---