Ruby Sightstone... Worth it?

#11WebBowserPosted 4/29/2013 10:38:56 AM
breakfastramen posted...
Only being able to have two wards out at a time, plus however many pinks you bought, is not enough if laning phase is over and especially if there is a lot of back-and-forth between both teams. The only way that would be enough is if everyone on your team was buying *multiple* wards every back. I think the ruby sightstone is worth it just for the extra active ward at a time, and if I have the cash I'll get more greens and a pink or two on top of it.

So no matter how many pinks I buy, as well as a sightstone, will never be enough? I usually buy 2 pinks on every back during lane and try to keep 5 pinks in my inventory for lategame, and I tend to have anywhere from 3 to 6 wards out at any one time. If that's not enough then other people really should be warding, as It's hard to ward more than that without basically ensuring that I never finish my Aegis ever.
---
Enjoy writing your own stories? Like Pikmin? Want to enter a fully developed world with a blank slate to mold to your hearts content? PM Imboredsoimrest!
#12negative4Posted 4/29/2013 10:46:07 AM
Yeah, it's worth grabbing. You'll save yourself money on wards in the long run. Not only that, but the thing I love about it is that you can drop multiple wards down during chases or escapes to have vision for your own safety.
---
Chicago Bears 8-8, 3rd NFC North (2011-2012 Season)
WE LIKE IKE! Aethering to victory.
#13negative4Posted 4/29/2013 10:50:21 AM
WebBowser posted...
breakfastramen posted...
Only being able to have two wards out at a time, plus however many pinks you bought, is not enough if laning phase is over and especially if there is a lot of back-and-forth between both teams. The only way that would be enough is if everyone on your team was buying *multiple* wards every back. I think the ruby sightstone is worth it just for the extra active ward at a time, and if I have the cash I'll get more greens and a pink or two on top of it.

So no matter how many pinks I buy, as well as a sightstone, will never be enough? I usually buy 2 pinks on every back during lane and try to keep 5 pinks in my inventory for lategame, and I tend to have anywhere from 3 to 6 wards out at any one time. If that's not enough then other people really should be warding, as It's hard to ward more than that without basically ensuring that I never finish my Aegis ever.

You keep...5 pinks in your inventory at all times?
---
Chicago Bears 8-8, 3rd NFC North (2011-2012 Season)
WE LIKE IKE! Aethering to victory.
#14Colegreen_c12Posted 4/29/2013 10:55:57 AM
I am personally not a big fan of it as I buy a lot of pink wards and I would rather get Aegis sooner. I also generally sell the sightstone when slots become a problem, opting for an extra support item and leaving a slot open for pink wards because 5 pink wards are more slot efficient then a sightstone. That being said, ruby is certainly not bad, it comes down to preference really.

I do feel obligated to say that warding is not optional, and that sightstone/ruby sightstone alone are not enough, as long as you get that, sightstone vs ruby sightstone is a situational call.

You should have an open slot with a sightstone.

The reason sightstone wards are so good is they are expendable.
---
rawr
#15breakfastramenPosted 4/29/2013 11:06:47 AM
WebBowser posted...
breakfastramen posted...

There's no simple answer to that question. It really all depends on the relative skill, experience, and tendencies of both your team and your opponents. It also depends on the ongoing in-game situation as it develops. On the whole, though I'd say you are spending too much on pinks. Keep in mind that while they do reveal stealthed units (including enemy wards), they also grant a narrower range of vision than green wards do, so if your objective is granting a good coverage of vision in an area, then greens will be the way to go. If your team and the other is constantly and hotly contesting both river objectives (Dragon/Baron), then some pinks are definitely a good idea so you can use them to spot and clear out enemy wards. If your team isn't really pursuing either objective on a reliable basis, and there isn't a ward war going on between the both of you somewhere, then I don't know why you'd buy that many pinks over greens. If you're using them to destroy wards all over the place, then just buy the consumable potion that grants vision; I think it's called Oracle's Elixir.

And yes, other people really SHOULD be warding, you are correct about that. If your teammates tell you it is the support's job, or that supports are the only ones who buy wards, then they are bad. That's the simple truth. Also, with regards to whether or not you finish Aegis, the importance of that will (again) depend on the status of the game and also how your team has been doing in team fights. If they are responding and coordinating very well to extra vision, and keep catching out the enemy team and keeping them on respawn, then provide more vision. If the enemy team never wanders and everyone is just grouping up mid and slapping each other senseless every respawn, then investing in some aura equipment will probably be a better investment. It will all depend on your own experiences in learning what will result in the best outcomes for your team in certain situations, and you'll only get that experience by continuing to play and noticing what does and doesn't work in wins and losses.

Keep in mind I am a very nooby player myself, these are just my observations from what I've learned so far on my own and what I've learned from having the good fortune to queue up with some much more experienced and helpful players. Best of luck, and have fun learning support; I find it to be a very rewarding role!