How would you balance Flash without removing it?

#11the_rowanPosted 5/2/2013 8:55:00 AM
Suffer_Not posted...
Currently, Flash is used both as a gap closer as well as a defensive spell for champions that don't have escapes. I'm totally okay with the first part because making plays with Flash is awesome, but that second part means that early game ganks are far harder to pull off then they need to be.

My change would be two part:

1) Flash cannot be used if your champion has taken damage within the last 3 seconds.

2) A new boot enchantment/consumable would be available that allows you to Flash while taking damage.

This allows Riot to balance Flash in two different ways. The offensive Flash can be tuned via cooldown and so forth to make it a good but not overbearing early initiation tool. The defensive Flash can be associated with a gold cost or even separate cooldowns to prevent it from killing early game aggression while having it still keep certain champions viable in the Late Game "League of Gapclosers".

As an example to illustrate my point, let's say that Flash's cooldown was lowered to 3 minutes and 30 seconds and it cannot be used if your champion has taken damage within the last 3 seconds. It's now better for initiation and dodging dangerous skillshots, but you can't use it as a 'get out of jail' card once someone has engaged you.

The item "Summoner's Scroll: Improved Flash" would be purchasable for 800g. When purchased, it allows a champion to flash while taking damage. If they have taken damage within 3 seconds of flashing, the cooldown is set to 5 minutes instead of 3.5 (aka the same as current Flash).

Obviously, gold prices, cooldowns, and so on would be subject to balance changes, but I'm convinced that this setup would be easier to balance depending on how long Riot wants it to take for defensive flashes to become available and how powerful they want offensive flashes to be.

Flashing after taking damage is one of the only things saving ranged carries right now. Without that, you might as well remove AD carries from solo queue since they can't communicate with their team enough to get perfect peel and positioning.
---
"That is why war is so tragic. To win means to make victims of your opponents and give birth to hatred." - Kratos Aurion, Tales of Symphonia
#12Suffer_NotPosted 5/2/2013 9:19:49 AM
the_rowan posted...
Flashing after taking damage is one of the only things saving ranged carries right now. Without that, you might as well remove AD carries from solo queue since they can't communicate with their team enough to get perfect peel and positioning.

Skim to the part of my post where I acknowledge this and allow for ADC to still flash after taking damage while applying a limitation to this ability so that it does not stalemate the early game.
---
http://i.imgur.com/7Wah6.jpg
I'm actually incredibly overly passionate and...whats the word...viscous? - EltoniaX
#13FvPPosted 5/2/2013 9:20:55 AM
Its balanced. Stop whining.

---
FvP | falco_vs_peach | *^*"The Shinies" Member*^* | Adventure Time Member
PBWSB | PDPSB | /pdpsb/ | PBWSB User Tournament Winner: DiabIo
#14MhkaMAthPosted 5/2/2013 9:26:06 AM
The defensive Flash can be associated with a gold cost or even separate cooldowns to prevent it from killing early game aggression while having it still keep certain champions viable in the Late Game "League of Gapclosers".

With how strong tanky DPS are the ENTIRE game, making the defensive Flash cost gold to keep those who need it to be relatively safe late game is just a slap in the face as those people won't be scaling into late game with how far behind they'll be.

And people with blinks in their kit really don't need to be more powerful.
---
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6840/mathz.jpg http://i.imgur.com/iB1sU.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/juliaxx/Picture56.jpg Free stuff!
#15pozertronPosted 5/2/2013 9:34:12 AM
Make it available since lvl 31 problem solved
#16mrmonstrPosted 5/2/2013 10:02:26 AM
FvP posted...
Its balanced. Stop whining.

---
LoL (EU West): mrmonstr (25)
LoL (NA): mrmonstrNA (2)