Why do people call 'carry' only to ranged DPS champions?

#11PhoenixNinePosted 5/6/2013 6:23:02 AM
Carry is any hero who deals a boatload of damage.

Carry can also be a specific hero outside of that category in a specific game by doing very well.
---
~Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.~
#12JackDaniels1964Posted 5/6/2013 6:29:35 AM
Carries don't need to get fed to scale into lategame well, where as a 0/8/3 bruiser with 250 cs 40 minutes in the game won't do ****
---
Homosexuals are generally slightly cooler than others
Badazz stylezz GGzz WPzz 2006 Nerf pls
#13tranquilizerrrPosted 5/6/2013 6:39:47 AM
JackDaniels1964 posted...
Carries don't need to get fed to scale into lategame well, where as a 0/8/3 bruiser with 250 cs 40 minutes in the game won't do ****

Wukong would B)
---
Talk is cheap.
#14Rookie_JetPosted 5/6/2013 6:44:11 AM
JackDaniels1964 posted...

250 cs is pretty good...you're probably still going to have 3 maybe 4 finished items (assuming your team got a few towers and a couple barons/dragons). With that much, you can hopefully still fulfill your minimum duty of protecting your ADC via sponging some damage and disrupting pursuers with some CC.
#15EDumeyPosted 5/6/2013 7:29:01 AM
Other roles are called by lane. Yes you could call "AP" and expect to get mid, but 99% of the population is still going to call mid by saying "mid". Same goes for top and jungle, where it would be confusing to just say "Bruiser".

Except in bot lane, there are two people there. So you can't just call "bot" unless you're duoing or something. Or you don't care whether you AD or Support. So you have to differentiate there.

I'd prefer people say "AD" over "Carry", but as far as the nomenclature goes, it's still pretty obvious as to what they're calling at that point. Even if Supports can sometimes carry games, that's not what they're known for.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZhLrT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H6Frl.jpg
#16Eclypse9810Posted 5/6/2013 7:45:20 AM
A carry, as classified in here, dota and hon, is someone who has a purposely weak early game because of their excellent scaling with items. Originally, only the AD carries were called carries because in dota and hon, ability heroes scaled much, much worse then ad heroes because there is no "AP" in those two making them strictly early game champions and supports to the carry. This mindset transferred over to LoL. Eventually, people realized that AP champions can scale just as well as AD carries, hence the APC and ADC classification change.

Master Yi and Tryndamere are just as much ADC's as Vayne and Caitlyn. Hell, most carries in dota2 are melee. However, because of the simplicity in this game such as a lack of couriers and recall scrolls, melee carries are in a really unfavorable position with regards to laning/lasthitting, positioning and staying on someone. If they were to be buffed, then people would just play them as bruisers instead. There really is no place for them in this game.
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
#17MegaHowlerPosted 5/6/2013 7:47:34 AM
Well I see it as they're doing by far the most DPS period, and if you allow them time to pick off enemies they will "carry" you, in the sense that you're not doing damage but holding up the front line. And that's how the meta is built, for peeling and your AP/AD carries will destroy who you couldn't kill easily or go for whoever is the safest for them to target. They're virtually useless without going glass cannon.
---
3DSFC 4382-2743-5839
#18easymodexzPosted 5/6/2013 7:51:24 AM
Eclypse9810 posted...
There really is no place for them in this game.

All they need to do is give a champ a 4x crit on a 15% chance.
#19Dragonfable101Posted 5/6/2013 9:32:04 AM
Carries usually can't carry singlehandedly, they just outdamage other champions under optiomal circumstances..
---
Remember that failure only occurs the moment you've decided you will no longer strive for success.
- Lysamus
#20MizunoRyuuPosted 5/6/2013 10:12:51 AM
Because in MOBA games, a carry is a character that needs a lot of protection, and then transitions into the main damaging force on a team during lategame. Bruisers and assassins do just fine without help, so they don't fill the definition of a carry. Same goes for melee "carries", they tend to have some sort of steroid or reliable escape mechanism so that they don't really need a support, so they're not really carries in the strict sense.
---
Evelynn is my waifu.
Help... Me...